No-fun ignition puzzle.

You are getting a little spark scatter which is normal because of the oil pump pulsations from the distributor driving the oil pump.
You would be rewarded by replacing your distributor with a Duraspark or a DUI-HEI.
Getting rid of the points would be beneficial.
If you get a new distributor send it to me to recurve it to your engine combination.

JackFish: I have a vacuum gauge installed permanently on my dashboard, and the needle is steady under all acceleration, even light acceleration when it is stumbling a bit the needle is steady at 10 inches. With a warm engine, idle is a steady 18 inches.

rbohm: What you're describing about the rotor would make sense with the symptoms I'm having. I'll try replacing it with one of the spares I have. The one currently in there is about two months old though, and looks clean. I'll also check the voltage all the way though the coil. I know the points are good, they're new, pretty clean, and I just set the gap correctly at 0.025" and the dwell is a constant 37º from idle up to at least 3000 rpm + 0.5º.

wsa111: I think I may replace my distributer soon. When I do though I would like to stick with a stock distributer, which isn't so bad since mine is a 1968 and doesn't have the load-o-matic system. I really wish I didn't have to get rid of the points system for originality sake, but I guess it looks like I'll have to, simply because the condensers and points you can buy now are such crap. I'm young, and I didn't realize there was a time when you didn't have to change both every 3,000 miles or less. When I do switch to electronic I'll probably use a pertronix retrofit in the original-type distributer.
When I do get a new distributer I would love if you could recurve it correctly for me. Thats something I don't know where to get done right. I've done a makeshift job of recurving mine because it was giving full advance way too early.

I was very happy with the Pertronix in my '62, and I've been happy with the Pertronix in my '67 Fleetwood. They tuck into the distributor so you'd never know they're there and the end result is all win - better power, mileage, and reliability. You can hang onto a set of points if you like and swap them back in if you want to go back to original, but for reliable motoring the Pertronix is hard to beat.

Dont know if they still have them (guessing they do) I used to install the Mallory external condensors in some situations back in the day. The condensor could cause premature falure of the points.

Hi all. It seems that the last bit of stumbling problem I had was caused by the float in the carburetor being adjusted too lean. I've adjusted it to be richer and now the car runs very smooth. Still a tiny bit of stumble occasionally, but I think that last bit is the worn out distributer.

wsa111: How much do you charge for re-curving a distributer?

Thanks for all the help!

Back