Oddball Ford Ranger

A

Anonymous

I have just gotten a 83 ford Ranger that had a 200 straight six/automatic put in it. The former owner said the flywheel was broke. The truck will start but not move and it makes some clunking grind noises. Were these trannies prone to failure or could it really be the flywheel? I will be modifying this truck for some summer time fun and really need to get it running. Also what are the most recommended mods for torque? Thanks!!

Heh my80chevette, What does it look like for room in the engine bay for the 200 in the ranger, I am looking to slide in a 250, into one of these and I was wondering if there is enough room. Did they have to move the radiator forward and use electric fan or not and what were the motor mounts used? Any help will be appreciated.

Sounds more like tranny. If the flexplate was broken to the point that power transmission to the tranny was lost, I would think the starter would have difficulty in engaging it. Maybe torque converter bolts are sheared?

8) The 83 is in the same famioly as the 88 I had. I think the trans is considered fragile.

And I have seen several, including mine, go out because some people didnt check what type fluid the trans used and poured in 70/90W gear lube when the trans needed Dexron II. Burned up the tranny. Idiot on mine did a clutch job before he sold it to me and decided to put new tranny fluid in it. He didnt bother to look on the dipstick to see what kind of fluid to put in it.

Is it an older 200 or the infamous BB200 from 80-83? If it's the BB200 the flexplate with ring gear is seperate from the torque converter.

63comet":1vger31z said:
Heh my80chevette, What does it look like for room in the engine bay for the 200 in the ranger, I am looking to slide in a 250, into one of these and I was wondering if there is enough room. Did they have to move the radiator forward and use electric fan or not and what were the motor mounts used? Any help will be appreciated.
There is a good bit of room in there for the engine but they did move the radiator foreward under the rad support. If a electric fan was used the rad could probably stay in it's original spot. I will try to get some pics soon and post their location.

Thanks, I'll keep my eye open for the pic's, I am still searching for a ranger to throw it in.

Back