rare intake

A

Anonymous

:( can't afford(or locate)an oz 2v head and intake?already modified the crap out of your intergral head/log manifold and don't want to waste it by getting another type?then have i got the manifold for you!! 8) in my travels far and wide across the land of oz(the local wreaking yard acually)i came across a rare piece of oz made speed equipment.it's a manifold,made by the lynx corp in the 60's,in aluminium,to suit the log/head 144,170,200,221,250 cu in ford 6.it bolts on 3xsu side draugh carbs(1 1/2",1 3/4",or 2")from jags,morris volvo etc.basically you machine off the cast iron log manifold,leaving the inner face(having been machined flat)and then drill and tap 4 holes to mount the new manifold.i now have this manifold for sale at $150 oz(including post to anywhere in the world)which works out to be around $80 us.i can also supply 3x1 3/4" su carbs(manifold has to be machined for anything over 1 1/2")air filters,ram tubes,linkages or the whole kit and caboodle!drop me an e-mail or ring me on australia 0298967453 steve ;)

200_XP_3X_SU.jpg

I am going to see it tomorrow early afternoon (with the full intention of buying it there and then!) - It will be interesting to then discern exactly what has to be done to make it fit. Certainly not as easy as the Offy setup. I expect some brazing and milling; maybe a plate fabricated for the manifold to bolt up to.

These manifolds work with the HS series carbs, as the float bowls have to be angled (no-go with HIF series). 3×HS-4 or HS-6 for 144/170, HS-6 or HS-8 for 200 and 221.

Cheers, Adam.

A very nice manifold which would also work great with a triple set of TWM SU replacement FI throttle bodies. A really screming setup whether you choose FI or carbs. However, I'm pretty sure that there is a picture of an australian 2v head, not a modified log head. If that's the case, this manifold is still in production and available new.

Falcon,

You're correct, the picture that Addo has posted is a 2V head, but the intake Steve has would be about the same thing for a de-logged head. As I understand it, Lynx has a few of the de-logged intakes for both the SU's and the Weber 2 barrels, but they are NOS, and not in current production. Besides, the price that Steve is asking is a bargain compared to the new ones. 8)

Later, Kinky6.

Yes, Kinky6, it was a bargain. :eek:

The picture is the modded head, not a 2V. But the unit I got off Steve (120% nice guy, I might add) is different to above in the "Y" sections being much shorter. It still meets at the angle like the pic (compared to a 2V with flange square to the face), and I'll have to try for some istruzione off Lynx! Dropped it in to be glass beaded, and will photograph after it comes back. Name says "Lynx Falcon" like Mike's one did, IIRC.

This will be the icing on the cake! Now I can design a cam to suit.

Adam.

:D im interested do you have any more pics maybe some with color? keep us posted

also will U.S. hardware work for this head? do you know what size the intake and exhaust valves are? thanks

Nick, I am waiting 'til it gets back, to see how it meets up to my head. Like the Offy versions, this unit can theoretically be applied to any existing log head.

But I am sold on the idea of being able to run three 2" SU type carbs on my 221. That would rock.

Adam.

sounds awesome. I've seen other folks working on log head hack jobs with much curiosity. It's interesting to know that linx actually manufactured such a kit.

hmmm would a setup like this work with a aussie intake on a US head?

just have a wedge to bolt in instead of a flat plate?

could be a hunk of cast al? or maybe a fabbed steel piece?

nick

A little update. Manifold's back home with me, and I've played with superimposing it on the head. Interesting points:

•The mating face is 31½° off the vertical, inclined towards the valve cover (like the B&W picture of the other manifold). When the log is milled off, that will make reaming those inlet ports to perfection even easier than on an Argentinian head. :p Lack of flow will NOT be an issue. :eek:

•As Steve mentioned, the current carb size hole is 1½". But there's plenty of meat to ream out for even a 2" bore. XECUTE, I need your HS-8s. :LOL:

•The casting is a fairly rough sand jobbie. Unless they include the matching steel plate and good instructions, this Lynx part is now seriously overpriced at AUD$300-plus.

A week and a half should see some photos up; just the clean manifold. I want to approach Lynx nicely and ask for install details. The matching steel plate will likely be jobbed out by an engineering shop down the road. Yes, my engine guys have heard of TC Falcons (not by name, but know of them), do know you can mill 150 thou off a Ford six head (their comfort zone), and have an old-timer who can weld cast like it was made. Some things are good in Sydney!

Adam.

Ex 4 liter Vanden Plas HS-8's coming by mail. Hope you enjoy them. PM me some kind of safe postal address (no white powder will be included, and if it ticks, it's just bora bettles ok?) and I'll send you two gratis.

There are two others on my mate Evans junked VDP, and I worked on him this weekend at our house breaking party for my new digs. (Mad bug*** wants to twin turbo his XJ 12 HE with 12.5:1 compression... another item to go with his propane 390 FE engined Land Rover with 60 series chassis and 80 series diffs, his LD 24 engined Torana, and his twin turbo Nissan Maxima....doh!)

You'll love the way it sings with 125 jets and a 280 cam and 5-speed box.

Can't stand petroleum, had my share of SU's, just leave me in the corner with a cuppla bottles of rock-gas and a blower, and see what materialises!

IF ANYONE NEEDS A STOCK US 200 HEAD TO PRACTIC DRILLING MODIFIYNG PAY THE SHIPPING FROM 33585 AND IT IS YOURS I GOT ONE HERE THAT IS CRACKED SO IT IS ONLY GOOD AS A GINNY PIG PRACTICE HEAD LET ME KNOW

Pics are small to save Al's space. I can email much larger versions to interested folks. The head is my "Project 221 smooth head" - much deburring has been done. Valves are out again now, for another go at the bowls.

A view of the mating flange, and the top. Note the words "Lynx Falcon".
Manifold_Flange_Inside_View_Small.jpg
Manifold_Top_View_Close_Up_Small.jpg

Relative position overlaid:
Manifold_Side_View_Medium.jpg

Now the underside, and the carb flanges, presently 1½" bores.
Manifold_Underside_View_Small.jpg
Manifold_Carb_Flange_View_Small.jpg

Adam.

8)

I feel proud of my what will be my little OZ headed 200 and its good old fashioned American hot rod approach...throw a Holley 4bbl carb and headers on it.

Back