Rear mounted turbo...

The oil that comes out of the cartridge is frothed. it looks like black shaving cream not like a liquid at all. In that state it will not pass through anything smaller than an AN-8 line without undue back pressure and I'd be tempted to use an AN-10 since in this case more really is better

8) SR is right. turbos really airate the oil that passes through the bearing, and any back pressure will not allow the air to escape, allowing metal to metal contact, and with the turbo shaft spinning at 40,000 rpms it will destroy the bearing very quickly. most turbo builders use a 3/8" pressure line to feed oil to the turbo, and a minimum of 1/2" line for the return line. most race engines use something more like 3/4" return line. in any case if you dont mount the turbo above the oil level in the oil pan, including the drain outlet, you WILL have a bearing die a quick death, taking the turbo with it, unless you have a high volume pump to scavenge the oil from the turbo housing. something else to seriously consider for those of you planning a turbo install, use an electric oil pump on both sides of the turbo, and set them up on a timer to run for a couple of minutes after the engine is shut off so that the bearing is not subjected to 40k rpm with no oil pressure. that will wear the bearing out as well as allow the turbo to coke up.

I dont know about runnin a couple oil pumps unless your talkin about a rear mount set-up. Most times you just drive it nice and easy when your nearing your destination then let it idle for 15-30 seconds before shuttin it down. If you wanna do like alot of the import guys, you can buy a turbo timer than lets the motor run for a certain amount of time to cool. Also, DEF run the biggest drain line you can, Im runnin a -10 on mine, but alot of people actually run a restrictor in their feed line to keep too much oil pressure from pushing past the seals and making for alot of smoke. Im having that problem right now actually and have ordered up a .065 restrictor...we'll see if it helps any before I start divin into the valve seals lol
Matt

rbohm":1e8xquup said:
most turbo builders use a 3/8" pressure line to feed oil to the turbo, and a minimum of 1/2" line for the return line.
wow im using a 1/4" feed line and a 5/8 return line....would it be bad to run that small of a feed line?

8) as long as you are getting sufficient pressure and volume to the turbo bearings, as well as getting the oil out, you should be fine.

Back