All Small Six Spark Plug Choice

This relates to all small sixes

Dr_Dan_WWW

Subscriber
Supporter 2021
The Falcon Handbook comments a couple of times about spark plug choice: "get one with the extended tip, get a hotter plug." Which plug suits a '83 head that is modified according to the Handbook? (That's what I am working on.) Stock Champions don't look like they have the extended tip. Recommendations?

The Falcon Handbook comments a couple of times about spark plug choice: "get one with the extended tip, get a hotter plug." Which plug suits a '83 head that is modified according to the Handbook? (That's what I am working on.) Stock Champions don't look like they have the extended tip. Recommendations?
You can go to sparkplugs.com Put in the vehicle info. Then hit compare on the plugs. Look at the reach aspect.

Honestly don't remember which plug I used to run. But they were either NGK or Autolite. I do remember running Bosch also.

I may have some new Bosch plugs laying around. If I find them you can have them if you want.

You can also email NGK. They have great customer service. Give them them the info for a 83 and ask for a suggestion on a hotter plug with extended tip.

Different companies use different numbering systems for hot and cold plugs.

Thanks much. I didn't know about sparkplugs.com I'll take a look. I had the 83 head rebuilt this month. It was just barely milled for flatness. But was not milled for compression. I'm asking about plugs because I need to plug up the spark plug hole so I can measure combustion chamber cc's. (Can't believe I don't have any old plugs sitting around). If I have to buy sparkplugs I might as well get what I'm gonna run.

Thanks much. I didn't know about sparkplugs.com I'll take a look. I had the 83 head rebuilt this month. It was just barely milled for flatness. But was not milled for compression. I'm asking about plugs because I need to plug up the spark plug hole so I can measure combustion chamber cc's. (Can't believe I don't have any old plugs sitting around). If I have to buy sparkplugs I might as well get what I'm gonna run.
NGK 7510 are the best for non supercharged engines. With a HEI or DS11 with MSD Box gap is .045"-.048"

Hello, I purchased the DUI and Livewires set. I'm going to swap the plugs too. Engine is bone stock, will I get benefits from going with NGK 7510 or will 2438 suffice?

Hello, I purchased the DUI and Livewires set. I'm going to swap the plugs too. Engine is bone stock, will I get benefits from going with NGK 7510 or will 2438 suffice?
The 7510 is iridium & it produces a better flame kernel because of the thin center electrode. If your engine is not burning oil the cost is worth it.
Gap at .045"-.048".
Plus they last much longer.

The 7510 is iridium & it produces a better flame kernel because of the thin center electrode. If your engine is not burning oil the cost is worth it.
Gap at .045"-.048".
Plus they last much longer.
Thank you for the quick response. Ill get the 7510s. I cant wait for the DUI to arrive! Summit says next week, but we will see. Just finished installing a new clutch.IMG_3115.jpg

Back