This will be fun

thanks I am confused on carb heads and efi pedestal head(sloted push rod opening)
Carb heads from 1965 to 1984 had stud mounted rockers and slotted pushrod guides.
1985 and 1986 carb heads had pedestal mount rockers and round pushrod holes.
1987 and later are EFI heads with pedestal mount rockers.

Your machinist should have the cutter for the Viton valve stem seals and will supply the seals as part of the job.

Cave seals??

Any way thanks for interpreting my bad typing.

Got it on the “valve seals”

Last time my family and I drove down the Oregon coast we stopped at the Seal's cave and saw "cave seals" and cave sea lions. LOL.
I knew you couldn't use any of those so I figured you must have meant "valve stem seals"

That’s funny!
I got the turbo.
Looks like 54mm to me. Is there anything I should check on this turbo? I know I need that non wastegate housing too so I’ll be ordering that.

Also, do the old rocker studs unscrew or are they pressed in?

Attachments

• 9B5EB78F-4890-414B-99CF-AF46C6861764.jpeg
    9B5EB78F-4890-414B-99CF-AF46C6861764.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 15
  • 1839FE17-6DFF-4C7B-A3CB-759A33A1F2DA.jpeg
    1839FE17-6DFF-4C7B-A3CB-759A33A1F2DA.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 15
Looks good.
Check to see if there is end play in the shaft along with side play.
Inspect the tips of the blades looking for any possible contact with the housing openings.

The old studs are press in.
That is one of the reasons for replacing them with screw in.
Press in studs have been known to pull out with higher valve spring pressures and valve lifts.

The bolts and straps that hold the exhaust housing on are usually a big problem to get off.
Be sure to use a box end wrench and not an open end to turn the bolts.
It may require some penetrating oil and some heat.

Hopefully I'm wrong and things go easy

Ok thanks. I’ll soak them I’m some Krull before I try to loosen. This weekend I’m gonna try grinding on the head. I want to take it to the machine shop next week. Kinda nervous

You say you want to use the serpentine belt system from your '95 300. One issue is the '82 head will be missing one of the power steering pump mount holes and the lump in the head casting is not there. You may be able to weld or braze a block to the head to accommodate this. Also you might check the condition of the '95 cylinders for wear and condition. Also check the manufacture date on the block, as it was partway through the year that ford switched to hyper-eutectic pistons.. If the block is good you might be able to use it as is with the Ford pistons. I have a '95 that was dated in May '95 and had the hyper pistons and only 0.0005" cylinder wear so I just did a light hone and used standard size pistons. I did use the Speed Pro pistons because I didn't know the stock ones were hyper at the time. If you're using the EFI intake, in order to simplify the turbo piping to the throttle body I and others have adapted a single throat throttle body to the EFI plenum. I used a throttle body from a 302 car.
EDJHZiH.jpg

JiuJb17.jpg

NsZZZ9r.jpg

Wow! That’s great info thank you!! There was a jasper tag on the block of that 95 also. I didn’t even consider that the serpentine stuff wouldn’t work.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 3
Not yet. You're not getting away that easy. LOL
That complete turbine housing has to come off so the turbine blades are sitting out in the open
Are there bolts and straps that hold that housing to the center section ?

Last edited:
The big snap ring is for the compressor housing.
The turbine housing should have bolts and straps between it and the center section.

Gotcha. I got the 13mm bolts and straps off. Now it should just pull apart then I’m guessing.
I SHOT some kroil oil in there to maybe loosen the housing.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 5
Last edited:
Back