Turbo 300

I drove the beast last night, were working the bugs out, through 1st and into second was amazing! (thats all i could do, small road) its missing a little right now, but it will be working good soon, were putting smaller jets in the carb 2night and ill take the camera along so you guys can see the set up (nothing pretty, but thats the point 8)...)

hey, i have a couple of pics here with the new set up. the carb is off because we were doing some minor tuning...

greentruckengine2.jpg

greentruckengine.jpg

greentruckdash.jpg

hopefully i can find the battery charger for the video camera so i can film the beast burning some rubber!! because its what it does best. :eek:

To the individual who indicated he/she wants to run 30 lbs of boost...

Is that a number you think you want to run because you think it sounds impressive or have you run some fashion of turbocharged 300 before and think you can run that much boost? I'd have a hard time believing you'll keep head gaskets in that thing with anywhere near that much boost, head studs, the block o-ringed and all. You're going to hurt something.

Something to keep in mind...boost pressure (psi) is, to a degree, indicative of the restriction in the intake tract (everything between the turbocharger and the intake valve). Take any given turbocharger and stick it on a stock 300 and, for the sake of this example, let's say you see 15 psi of boost on a pressure gauge. Now, take that combination apart and port the cylinder head (increasing flow, reducing restriction and reducing turbulent areas), port-match the intake manifold to the cylinder head (again, reducing turbulence and decreasing restriction in airflow), etc., etc., and put it all back together, with the same camshaft, etc. After it's back together, the combination (properly jetted/fueled) will make more power but yet you'll see less actual boost on the gauge. Why? You've reduced the "restrictiveness" of the intake tract and, at the same time, increased the efficiency of the system.

word. Boost is a fairly aribtrary #.

You can make a lot of boost pretty easily on an engine that's not moving any air, and still not make much power.

so what do you guys think? we got the carb working great now, with the old setup we were dumping more fuel than with this one, so we had to adjust a few of things.

It's an interesting setup. Draw through is not what I would have expected for some reason.

Not the prettiest install, but then again - neither is mine. We have certainly seen worse posted on here.

The main question is how does it run ?

great! that thing will MOVE. its backed by a c4 with the b&m pro ratchet shifter. with the old set up. on 93 octane, (detonation caused a cracked piston with that gas) we lost by about 1 car on the 1/8 mile to a 440 charger. and this setup is going to produce more power. the old one was using the 1 bbl. intake manifold. but we wont know how good until we hit the 1/4.

yeah man, get it tuned and get to the track.

440 charger means little. I've seen some that run 9's and others that run 17's.

I was that individual that was talking about 30 lbs of boost....i was more realistically looking around 20-25 lbs if it was reachable, but i have decided to drop the turbo idea for now and build a NA motor, one for lack of funds, and two for a lack of turbo knowledge....:)

hows the draw through working?
looks good. wouldn't mind some numbers on your boost levels, and if she is running well or not.

right now, were playing with 10 but will see around 15-17, the draw through is working awesome and the engine is running great.

hi you guys seem to know what yore talking about , I have got a TO4b90 AR60 , turbin side AR96 draw threw on 300 wondring wat this turbo was capbale of not sure wat it was boosting had 240 head on didnot last for ovious resons . good fun for a wile .

we ran the truck today still on 10 lbs. but with 100 octane offered at a local gas station, i just gotta say WOW! such a HUGE difference, much quicker, i really need to get a video camera and film this beast in action.

Any updates???? IM curious after reading through this thread....

Back