Turbo 300

How does the "draw through" setup compare to a standard turbo setup in terms of power and efficiency?
It looks like draw through would work best with the carb, as I assume that it would atomize the fuel better.

Draw-throughs aren't optimal, but they can work well. The problem: you can't use a typical air-to-air intercooler with one because the large volume of suspended gasoline equals a fuel-air bomb if there is a backfire.

Not good.

With lower boost levels, I see no problem with a draw-through. If you want to run more than 8 or so psi reliably, go with a blow through.

I was mulling over maybe running 3 or 4 psi on my 300, and with the torque increase, gear it higher in hopes of increasing my mileage. I've never messed with turbos before, I've always been all-motor. Interesting stuff, though.

8) that's a neat looking set up and it sounds like it's working well for you. I was wondering about how you hooked the turbo to the exhaust side of the manifold. do you have any pictures?

hes using what i know is called a sink trap( looks just like a sink trap goes down and then back up) i made one that worked good but is now for sale.
its a good and cheep way to make a turbo L6

SC 312ci":3b2uqcaj said:
hes using what i know is called a sink trap( looks just like a sink trap goes down and then back up) i made one that worked good but is now for sale.
its a good and cheep way to make a turbo L6

Quite correct. Most folks call it a J-pipe. Looks like this.

02381cf8.jpg

before i blew it it was in a 85 f150
all stock besides the turbo. we made a j-pipe and mounted a turbo with .42 in and .48 out. we were runing a stock 1bbl and we were pushing 10psi at 2.5G after about 1 min of runing all 6 top rings were gone. but even with them out it still would do about 15sec down a road we know is a little longer then a 1/4 mile.

Back