turbo charged six sid draft webbers!!???

A

Anonymous

Hey Guys! I'm new to this site and have enjoyed the wide range of ideas that ya'll cover. I own a 64 falcon 2dr sedan with 170, 2spd auto and dealer installed air. It is all origional with 90,000 origional miles and I am the third owner. At this point I am in school and am unable to proceed with mods that I had planned when I first purchased it. THAT howerver has not stopped me from planning and replanning for its future. Even if I have to sell her I'll still plan on a turbo six after school. That being said, I was enlightened the other day when my phyiscs professor was looking under the hood. He said that a friend of his in high school had one and was running six side draft webbers on it. :idea: If this is reasonable then why could you not build a intake box for the entire six pack and turbo it. This is only a flashing thought, sorry if it has already been addressed in the past!

Haven't heard these two ideas combined before. Making the box seal would be a pain, and there's some other stuff to consider with a blow-thru carb turbo set-up that may or may not be complicated by the numerous carbs.

Don't let that discourage you. Just things to factor in to your design. We like pondering neat ideas. Sometimes, it even distills down to workable solutions :) Quite often, actually...but not always in the ways first envisioned.

Welcome aboard

--mikey

This has been done. I ran across a site in Finland where they did this with a /6. They were using Dell'orto DHLA 4Ms for the carbs. Lotus used the same carbs with the Turbo Esprit, before they went to EFI. I blieve the Maseratie Bi-Turbo used a similar setup, but with webers. The inliners.org site has another /6 being setup with the Dell'orto carbs in the members ride section. I have read that the Dell'orto carbs could handle 30psi, while the Webers could handle 20psi.

How this would work with the 170 Ford, I have not idea.

Something like this?

499057_34_full.jpg

Yup, that looks like the basics for a blow-thru carb set-up. Visualize an intercooler between the turbo and carb intake- you'll probably want one to run much more than a few psi boost.

If you're serious about trying it, make sure you get the Webers dialed in without the turbo first. I hear they're a PITA to tune. A turbo can only complicate that issue. And buy a copy of "Maximum Boost" by Corky Bell. It's got some very good, if slightly EFI-biased, info on setting up a complete package. If you're just a cash-poor turbo dreamer like me, bench race away!

Some day, when I have money again.... (spools turbo) *whoosh* So much to do, so little dinero.

--mikey

For carb-based turbo systems, Turbochargers by Hugh MacInnes is a very good resource, but somewhat dated in terms of specific hardware recommendations

Car one: 1980-1988 Lotus Esprit Turbo ( early carb, not the EFI SE)

images
<<<<Lotus 2X 2-bbl Dell Orto DHLA 45 carbs

lotus-engine-1.jpg

lotus-enginefront.jpg

images
<<<T03 TURBO

partsset5..jpg

wwwrsphysse.anu.edu.au/ ~amh110/turbo_page.htm<<<Info on the TO3 Lotus turbo....also used in the

Car two: 1984 Mini Metro Turbo (also Lotus engineered, using the same turbo)

120757^1.jpg

eraspecialveitsworld022.jpg

Car 3: And the 1979-1984 Turbo Delta Alfa Romeo Alfetta GTV 2000, and 1984-1986 Alfa Romeo Giulietta Turbodelta. Facory emissions 2.0 Liter did 17.1 second quarters, about 116 mph. With one turbo, they did 15.8 sec quarters, top wack way over 120 mph (limited by gearing only..if it had a taller 5th, it would do 140 mph!). Turbo bost set low, power up from121 hp to 168hp. With boost controller, 240 to 280 posible. Thats three times the power of an already well endowed engine. Mama mia!

Alfetta%20GTV%20Turbodelta%20-%202.jpg

214_MVC-883F.JPG

Same carbs, similar turbo set up.

Copy Hot Rod Bills DCOE 45 log set-up, and put a huffer and letter box carb cover on it! These were the only really sucessful factory carb turbos. It can work!

Thanks guys for your responses! I do have a copy of "Turbochargers"and I am reading it when I get the chance.

Back