All Small Six Upgraded cooling fan?

This relates to all small sixes

gserafini

Subscriber
I'm looking at replacing my radiator and also upgrading the fan at the same time. '66 mustang 200cid auto. does anyone have experience with this fan and does it fit? I also found it in a kit with a 2-row radiator. Or any other recommendations?
Screenshot 2024-05-20 at 11.03.06 AM.png

As an ex-AC car, mine still has the 6-bladed fan. It does really suck wind, even without a shroud. One difference at least between my factory fan and this one is that the factory fan blades aren't mounted in a symetrical pattern. I think it might be to cut down on noise or vibration or something.

Factory ones make it easier to take off👍. The bigger gap between the blades gives your hand a little more room. It all depends on how much cooling you need to do

Granted I'm not running AC and a big V-8 in traffic in one of the sun-melt, I mean sun-belt states. But I'm very happy with my traditional look copper three row radiator, with the six-bladed fan it cools especially well.

I do live in the sun melt🤣. For the cost difference, I got the three row. You could probably just get that and nothing else and be fine with a stock engine and no air. I have a tendency to go the over kill route🥹. If a little is good, more is better 😎

Thanks for the input! Looks like most of you are running a 3 row. I was convinced there wasn't enough difference and that the 2row would give me more fan clearance. But hey might as well go 3!

Reactions: DON
Thanks for the input! Looks like most of you are running a 3 row. I was convinced there wasn't enough difference and that the 2row would give me more fan clearance. But hey might as well go 3!
3-row is quite a bit more cooling capacity. Eliminated all my heating issues on a pickup- in the melt-belt.

Aluminum can have standard tube size, or wide tubes for better cooling area, due to increased aluminum strength. Look closely at info. A 2-row aluminum can cool better than a 3-row copper radiator, while a 3-row aluminum not as well, if the tubes are smaller. This IMO is part of why there is so much contention over copper or aluminum, as there are so many differences that affect performance. Add to that the wide range of quality and costs for either, and it's a mess.

I was convinced there wasn't enough difference and that the 2row would give me more fan clearance.
With a Spectra CU1463 radiator and my stock pulley, spacer, and 6-bladed fan I have about 7/8" clearance between the fan and the radiator, a comfortable distance. And that wasn't much closer than with the original radiator in, though that was a special AC specific version too, I'm not sure if it was thicker than the standard radiator. With an after-market fan you'll be taking a chance, but you can put a shorter spacer on I suppose.

Adding an example of tube width. While the example is for a classic car, it serves for concept example. Copper alloy is typically 3/8" to 1/2" flow tubes, for 3-rows x .375 = 1.125" total, while the popular ACP aluminum 3-row is 3/4" tubes (2.25"), and the 2-row AL uses 1-1/4" tubes (2.5") It's easy to see why they claim the 2-row is the performance version in this case. 😎

Just an example, they are popular but I don't have any connection. Note the heat transfer of aluminum is nearly half that of copper, but that's not the only parameter. We can add fin count and other parameters, but tube size versus rows is a first-level biggie.

Back