What kind of fluids to use in the 200?

Bradbutlernc

Tommorow im thinking of doing an engine flush, and oil change. Then changing trans gasket/filter/fluid. Im trying to figure out what the best type of oil and trans fluid is for me to get for it, for trans fluid id assume "type F" because it says its for old fords :LOL: . But im not so sure about oil, what does everyone use/reccomend to keep the old sixes running good?

oil on sale works well in mine. jk

it's a daily driver with over 150k on it and it likes 30w. My last one I ran 10/40w. unless your racing or breaking in a new motor...

8) for engine oil a good semi synthetic oil in the 10w-40 weight will do rather nicely. i prefer name brand oils like pennzoil for instance. type F atf is getting harder to find, but it is still out there, but you can also use the older style dexron lll atf as well, you will just have slightly softer shifts.

I was going to go with some quaker state high milage 5w-30, or maybe 10w 40 since its getting colder. Ive always heard its best to run heavier oil during winter. Ill go ahead and pick up the type F fluid though, i guess ill get a jug. Any idea how much the trans takes? Its a 3 speed auto, says cruise-o-matic on the column.

The high mileage oils are good for older engines - I like Valvoline MaxLife. These oils usually have seal conditioners that soften the seals and can help reduce all kinds of gasket and seal leaks. If you have a leaker, don't expect miracles, but you might be pleasantly surprised.

As far a oil viscosity, the conventional wisdom is heavier in the summer - oil gets thinner the hotter it gets. A mult-weight oil like 10W40 will be good for all seasons.

-Stu

Do you have a Car Quest store in your area? Buy the Car Quest 10W40 oil which is relabeled Valvoline and you want to ask for the type FA tranny fluid.

Lucas oil additives is my preferance. :)

Later,

Doug

If your transmission has been rebuilt in the not too distant past and in good condition you should likely be using the regular dextron mercon. If its old and worn out type f is fine. It seems with modern materials and setup the dextron is much easier on the system. Type F was for the old materials and setup and tends to make harder shifts which are not needed with the new stuff. If you have a tranny that is starting to go the quick fix was always to put in type F and sell it quick.

fordconvert":wv8ljs8k said:
If your transmission has been rebuilt in the not too distant past and in good condition you should likely be using the regular dextron mercon. If its old and worn out type f is fine. It seems with modern materials and setup the dextron is much easier on the system. Type F was for the old materials and setup and tends to make harder shifts which are not needed with the new stuff. If you have a tranny that is starting to go the quick fix was always to put in type F and sell it quick.

Just to clarify, Type F is not just for old and worn out transmissions. Its used everyday in classic and older Fords and is the OEM reccomended transmission fluid.

Later,

Doug

I have chosen not to take the time to learn to build autos myself. If you have you hopefully know much more about them than I do. I just go with what the shops I have used recommend because they have served me well over the years.

It was the OEM fluid for the vintage most of us are dealing with here. How many of us are running 100% original transmissions at this stage? How many of us are rebuilding them with NOS parts? I could imagine there are a few out ther but I would think those would be the exception, not the norm. Does Ford actually make the same parts for a 20+ year old transmissions? Or if they even bother to make parts anymore have they updated the materials? I had a C6 rebuilt 15 years ago and at that time the shop said to use dextron. Had my c4 done 2 years ago and same thing dextron. Topic has come up here before and its not only my shops that are recommending dextron for rebuilt ford products. I believe ford went to dextron in the 80's. My point is its likely been rebuilt so its likely that dextron would likely be the recommended fluid. My shops said using type F in my rebuilt units would shorten the life of them and they would not honor the warranty. If the transmission in question has an unknown history and mileage using type F should not hurt even if it has modern internals. If is recently rebuilt then check with the rebuilder.

Type F or a slipping transmission is/was a common practice for all brands of autos especially before the days of a shelf full of magic additives that we have now days. I also remember reading it was a popular 'poor mans' shift kit for GM and Dodge transmissions back in the hot/rat rod days.

Bradbutlernc":hasix670 said:
Ive always heard its best to run heavier oil during winter.

Where did you hear that? :nono:
The main concern here is start-up wear. You need a thinner oil when it's cold.
Any 5/30 will work so ON SALE is my preference, but I would put a bit of zddp additive in anything because the zinc content in modern oils is often lower than 800ppm and we'd like to be up around the 1200ppm mark with our old pushrod engines.
And I run "F" in my original C4s and it works great. I think that DEXRON is a more slippery oil, as type F is often used as an additive to firm up sloppy shifting.

Colder ambient temps are where the multi viscosity oils come in. The idea is when they are cold the first number is the weight of the oil. Smaller numbers flow better especially at low temps. Higher numbers do their lube job better (assuming they can fit into the places the need to get into which with modern technology is getting smaller and smaller all the time). The multi oils have a polymer? that as temps increase bind the smaller bits together and make them act like a big bit. Its the best of both worlds. Only down side is the polymer eventually breaks down and you are left with the smaller number all the time. Thats why engines that only run in warmer temps or often run at high temps (air cooled) usually recommend a straight weight so there is less chance of breakdown and can then run longer without a change.

Wal Mart sells a private label oil that claims to be an SF rating for engines built before 1986 (when roller cams became widely used). I used it on one engine and cant say that I have an opinion either way. It was slightly more than their standard brand but less than the big names. Without access to your own test lab its hard to tell whats in any of it. I am primarily sticking with the 'family' brand name until I see some evidence that I need to make a change.

fordconvert":2avhmu5x said:
I have chosen not to take the time to learn to build autos myself. If you have you hopefully know much more about them than I do. I just go with what the shops I have used recommend because they have served me well over the years.

It was the OEM fluid for the vintage most of us are dealing with here. How many of us are running 100% original transmissions at this stage? How many of us are rebuilding them with NOS parts? I could imagine there are a few out ther but I would think those would be the exception, not the norm. Does Ford actually make the same parts for a 20+ year old transmissions? Or if they even bother to make parts anymore have they updated the materials? I had a C6 rebuilt 15 years ago and at that time the shop said to use dextron. Had my c4 done 2 years ago and same thing dextron. Topic has come up here before and its not only my shops that are recommending dextron for rebuilt ford products. I believe ford went to dextron in the 80's. My point is its likely been rebuilt so its likely that dextron would likely be the recommended fluid. My shops said using type F in my rebuilt units would shorten the life of them and they would not honor the warranty. If the transmission in question has an unknown history and mileage using type F should not hurt even if it has modern internals. If is recently rebuilt then check with the rebuilder.

Type F or a slipping transmission is/was a common practice for all brands of autos especially before the days of a shelf full of magic additives that we have now days. I also remember reading it was a popular 'poor mans' shift kit for GM and Dodge transmissions back in the hot/rat rod days.

Not going to bother to argue with you. Isnt that important to me. I say use type F where Ford recomends it and you dont agree with that.

People can make up thier own minds about it wether Ford Motor Company is right or you are.

Mustang_Geezer":2iwvixnc said:

People can make up thier own minds about it wether Ford Motor Company is right or you are.

Ford also said to use stock cams, single-barrel carbs, breaker point ignition, bias-ply tires, and SA rated motor oil. Not all of of us choose to do so, however.
Joe

Lazy JW":1krlid7p said:
Mustang_Geezer":1krlid7p said:

Ford also said to use stock cams, single-barrel carbs, breaker point ignition, bias-ply tires, and SA rated motor oil. Not all of of us choose to do so, however.
Joe

Considering what I've done to my car/engine???

Thats laughable that you would even mention somthing like that..... :roll:

From the Chevron website

Chevron Automatic Transmission Fluid Type F
Chevron Automatic Transmission Fluid Type F is a high performance lubricating fluid for pre-1977 (and some 1977 to 1981) automatic transmissions built by Ford Motor Company and other makes requiring a high friction Type F fluid.

It is manufactured using selected highly refined base oils and additives that provide oxidation and thermal stability, friction control, cleanliness, load-carrying ability, corrosion and wear protection, and prevent the formation of foam.

Chevron Automatic Transmission Fluid Type F is red in color for identification and leakage control.

Chevron Automatic Transmission Fluid Type F protects against deposits, corrosion and wear, provides proper shifting action, resists oxidation and viscosity increase, and ensures long transmission life.

Customer Benefits
Chevron Automatic Transmission Fluid Type F delivers value through:

Protection against the formation of lacquers and other harmful deposits
Exceptional stability provided by excellent base oil and extra oxidation inhibitors
Quiet performance – Especially effective in assuring proper action in Ford, Lincoln, and Mercury transmissions at all speeds.
Fast circulation during cold weather and excellent lubricating body when hot.
Applications
Chevron Automatic Transmission Fluid Type F is recommended for automatic transmissions in Ford, Mercury, and Lincoln passenger cars and light trucks manufactured by Ford Motor Company and certain other makes prior to 1977, and some makes from 1977 to 1981 (consult the vehicle owners manual).

This fluid is not to be used in Ford transmissions that require a fluid meeting Ford M2C138-CJ. Chevron Automatic Transmission Fluid DEXRON®-III/MERCON® is the recommended fluid in this case.

Chevron Automatic Transmission Fluid Type F meets the requirements of former Ford specification M2C33-F.

Do not use in high pressure systems in the vicinity of flames, sparks and hot surfaces. Use only in well ventilated areas. Keep container closed.

From the Chevron website about DEXRON

Chevron Automatic Transmission Fluid DEXRON®-VI is formulated with high purity synthetic base stocks. It is designed to maintain its viscosity through excellent oxidation stability and use of long lasting viscosity modifiers. Internal General Motors tests have shown more than twice the durability and stability in friction tests compared to standard DEXRON-III fluids. This will ensure consistent and smooth shift performance, even under extreme driving conditions. Extensive validation testing by General Motors has shown DEXRON-VI to be significantly better than previous DEXRON fluids in nearly every performance area.

Chevron Automatic Transmission Fluid DEXRON®-VI:

Maintains friction control for smooth, consistent shifting
Prevents clutch shudder in torque converters
Improves fuel economy relative to previous DEXRON fluids because of lower viscous drag and outstanding low temperature pumpability
Practically eliminates transmission overhauls due to sludge, corrosion, and wear
Operates well over a wide temperature range
Resists thermal and oxidative breakdown
Provides sufficient viscosity at high temperatures with minimal sheardown
Protects gears, bearings, clutch plates, seals, bushings and other components from wear and degradation
Resists foaming and thereby gives better operability and longer equipment life
Customer Benefits
Chevron Automatic Transmission Fluid DEXRON®-VI delivers value through:

Warranty coverage as an officially approved General Motors fluid
Improved durability of viscosity and frictional properties to ensure smooth operation in General Motors transmissions
Extended drain intervals of at least 100,000 miles under normal operating conditions
Back serviceability to cover all earlier DEXRON recommendations
Applications
Chevron Automatic Transmission Fluid DEXRON®-VI is designed specifically for use in all General Motors HydraMatic transmissions produced for Model Year 2006 and beyond. It is the latest generation technology approved for use by General Motors in automatic transmissions and automatic transaxles where a DEXRON®-VI fluid is specified. It is also back serviceable in transmissions calling for DEXRON®-III or DEXRON®-II fluids.

Chevron Automatic Transmission Fluid DEXRON®-VI is not recommended for use in transmissions which do not specify a DEXRON® fluid. In particular, it should not be used in applications which call for Allison C-4, ATF+3®, ATF+4®, or MERCON® type fluids.

Chevron Automatic Transmission Fluid DEXRON®-VI meets General Motors specification GMN10060 and has been registered with license number J60308.

Do not use in high pressure systems in the vicinity of flames, sparks and hot surfaces. Use only in well ventilated areas. Keep container closed.

Heres some good reading about fluid types and thier applications.

http://www.chevron.com/products/ourfuel ... nsmission/

Mustang_Geezer":y2hur1hw said:
Lazy JW":y2hur1hw said:
Mustang_Geezer":y2hur1hw said:

Joe

Considering what I've done to my car/engine???

Thats laughable that you would even mention somthing like that..... :roll:

It's a bit laughable that someone who has made such significant changes would be so dead set against change :LOL:

Mustang_Geezer":34tqmww2 said:
Lucas oil additives is my preference. :)

The oil companies and car manufacturers don't recommend any additives. You'll have to decide whether you know more than the oil companies and car manufacturers or not.

Just pickin' at you. You do seem to be very schizophrenic about modifications, though. Engine is fine, transmission is off-limits? :)

@Brad: I use SF oil or lightweight Rotella/Delo. They have high levels of anti-wear additives. I am a bit concerned about the detergents in diesel oils, but not THAT concerned. I'd use synthetic, it's better all-around than dino oil, but don't feel like spending the cash on a car that isn't worth much. I do use the Motorcraft FL-1A long oil filter for slightly higher capacity. Plus it's very good quality, basically a relabeled Purolator Pure-One for half the price. As for transmission fluid, when I rebuilt my C4 I put Dexron III/Mercon in it. I talked to my uncle that builds performance transmissions and he said there wouldn't be a problem. Plus I got a case of the fluid for free. Haven't had any problems yet. For peace of mind, go with Type F if you want. I heard that you're not supposed to really mix them.

8) with auto tranmissions you can use the dexron lll fluid without a problem. the only thing is that you will notice slightly softer shifts with the dexron. as for engine additives, for a flat tappet cam run some stp in the blue bottle, or lthe lucas oil additive, both will do just fine.

Oriley used to have a store brand oil additive that the first thing on the warning label was contains zinc. It was only $3 and said it was good for up to 7 quarts. Have not looked to see if they still have it or not. I used it for a while before I decided I dont think anything is need. Time will tell if its really a problem or not. I have also heard that the GM stuff is being made again but at an inflated price. Again have not confirmed this myself but it was supposed to be the best stuff if you thought you needed it. Rumor was that all the additives had the same problem with the EPA that the oil people had so even the additives dont have all the good magic stuff in them that they used to. At least so far no one has come up with any data that says the additives hurt anything but your wallet. Its cheaper than a rebuild if it works. If it dont work you are only out a few bucks more and over the life of the car its not much.

Back