Adjusting tappets

A

Anonymous

I have this knocking/ticking noise at all RPMs and was told that the tappets might need adjustment. How would I do that? I messed around with adjusting them a little bit from the little information I could find in the forums and I thought it worked but when the engine warmed up it was louder than before. So if anybody has some clear step by step instructions I'd really appreciate it!

Watcher75,

Think exhaust manifold gasket or crack. We just went through this. It sure SOUNDED like a lifter. Took the stethoscope out and could not identify the location. An additional test is to take the valve cover off, and with the engine running use a long screwdriver, handle to the ear, and 'sample' sounds. As always be careful where you stick it and watch out for moving pieces. A rocker sould be identifiable. Our exhasut gasket leak was elusive.

We did not know for sure what the source of the noise was until we removed the headers - then it became obvious, very obvious. New gasket and the noise went away.

Hope this helps, Dave

Hi watcher75,

The stock 66 - 67 200 I6 does not have adjustable rocker arms. The lifter is designed to provide automatic adjustment of valve lash. If you have lifter noise it is likely your lifters are getting old. Adjustable rocker assemblies from an earlier 200 will fit your head. A rebuilt assembly can be purchased from Rocker Arm Specialties (they have a web site). I purchased a high lift set (1.6:1 - improves flow) with new pushrods for $170 (you do need the push rods to go adjustable).

Dave's comment about the exhaust leak is valuable. This is a common problem with our cars and will cause various difficult to identify noises depending on how bad the leak is. Heck, change the exhaust gasket and put on some adjustable lifters and you will be better off all the way around.

Steve

Thanks for all the info. It's quite possible that it could be an exhaust leak. While I was checking around I noticed that most of the bolts to the exhaust manifold were coming out and loose.
The real problem that I have is that I hardly ever get to see the car! This is probably the only time I'll really have access to the car since my dad is recovering from a knee operation.

A rebuilt assembly can be purchased from Rocker Arm Specialties (they have a web site). I purchased a high lift set (1.6:1 - improves flow) with new pushrods for $170

I have looked for this company before but a Google search does not return anything. Anyone have the link?

Thanks

Back