coil

A

Anonymous

is it possible for a new coil to start crapping out??? I ask this cause when I put in the new flamethrower coil last year before that my car had a spudding vibration that was random due to a overheating coil and when I changed the coil it was never heard from again until last week and that made me mad. but can a new coil, that is capacity of 40000 volts crap out so soon?? the hottest my car gets now even when its really hot out is 205. it even has that spudding vibration when the car is warmed up to around 185-190.

Yes, it is an electrical part, meaning it can fail and be only 4 days old. You may have gotten a bad one. Do you still have your original and was it working when removed?

Slade

Yup, I've seen them bad right out of the box. In truth, the 40,000 volt coils are probably more fragile than stock because they have to stuff more windings in to build it that way. Guess how they do that? Smaller wires, more turns, etc. There really is no free lunch.
Joe

Manufacturers will also tell you that the life of a coil can be drastically shortened by vibration, which our little sixes are known for if you are bolting the coil to the stock location on the block. If it has gone bad, next time you might try the fenderwell for better longevity.

Back