Running rough...and stalling?

TxAgs66

Ok everyone!

I recently had my fuel level sender replaced. Afterward I believe water got in the tank as it was running pretty rough. Got the fuel ran out and added some STP stuff to help get rid of the water.

Well, today it started up again after a fresh tank of fuel. makes me think that it wasn't water. I drove about 20 miles on the freeway and back roads, made a stop to look at an old Bronco and then got back on the road to head home. That's whenever I eased off the gas, the car would die. It is running fairly rough.

It will restart everytime and runn fairly smooth for a second or two. If stopped for a while, it runs smoother longer. I checked the only two vacuum lines. Any thoughts? PCV valve?

I have not opened the carb or really checked the filter.

Thanks for the help!

Jason

If there was work done upstream from the carb, the fuel filter should probably be replaced at the very least.

If it was running rough prior to fuel work, you may want to check for intake leak or sticking choke.

Good luck,

Phil

Just wondering if you have looked for vaccum leaks? Had the same problem with mine for a while and turned out to be a crack in the carb to intake gasket. Squirt all your connections with carb cleaner while the car is running and see if your idle speeds change. If they do, you found the leak.

AJ, Sounds like vacuum leak to me.

You said "...the 2 vacuum lines..." I had a very similar problem and changed to vacuum lines to no avail.

However, I forgot about the short length of hose that runs from the Automatic Transmission Modulator line (hard line) to the AT modulator on the transmission itself. It was cracked and would intermitently kill the motor when idling. Once I fixed it the engine ran great. Hope that helps. Good luck.

Back