Question about the Pertronix coil selection

Positively Ralf

going to be taking out the Mav for the first time tomorrow and would like to change the coil in the car. I have the Pertronix in there but I never did get the flame thrower coil. There are some auto places around me and would like to know what are some hotter coils I can run that are comparable to the Pertronix flame thrower coil. Any suggestions?

In theory any of the 'performance' coils should be fine. In many cases they cost about the same as the 'stock' ones. Many stores will stock one brand or another so you can just go with whats in stock. MSD blasters are pretty common. Accel has some options. All you are looking for is one that has connectors you can deal with and no internal resistor. Some coils have internal (ballast) resistors for use with points but they are not very common anymore. Dont get too hung up on the coil output voltages. That has very little to do with their performance. Your spark plugs and the conditions in the cylinder is what sets the needed voltage. If that voltage is only say 5,000 volts having a 10,000 or 100,000 volt coil is not going to make any difference. You just want a high quality coil that will perform well under a variety of conditions. Other than mounting issues I so far really like the TFI's. I always try to remember to grab one just to have on the shelf when I am at a junkyard. Never looked at what they cost new so maybe buying them new would cost the same as the standard 'performance' ones at which point I think I would likely just go for the performance one because they would be easier to mount.

8) the msd blaster lll coil is an excellent all around use coil. i have used them in a couple of cars now with no issues.

I need to select a better coil for use with a Pertronix 1. I know that the Flamethrower coil is a reasonable choice, but it appears to be toned down for use with factory wiring. I'll be running the pink resistor wire to close a 30 amp fused relay, which will send 12 volts from the starter solenoid to the coil.

Looking in the Summit catalog, much of the specs seem to be on "turn ratio", peak current draw, spark plug voltage, and spark duration.

The specs they list:

MSD Blaster 2/3:

100:1 turn ratio
140 milliamps peak
45,000 volts
350 microsecond spark

Accel Superstock:

113: 1 turn ratio
300 milliamps peak
45,000 volts
400 microsecond spark

PerTronix Flame thrower

115:1 turn ratio
53 milliamps peak
40,000 volts
150 microsecond spark
3 ohm internal ballast (6 cylinder applications)

I can see the potential benefit of the longer and hotter spark, but what are the other considerations? What is the turn ratio all about? Guessing that the Pertronix would be lower performance, but would run cooler than the other two and have less electrical draw. Are there any downsides to running the MSD or Accel coil when triggered by the Pertronix?

John/Fresno

Back