Idle quality = engine temp?

michael_cini

I have an issue with idle, I know I have a bit of a lumpy cam (see signature) but the idle quality is inconsistent. I have been trying to sort this one out for awhile now. Yesterday I was waiting for my food in the drivethru (and it was taking awhile), and while waiting in line I noticed that my idle in gear started to get nice and smooth. I looked down at my temp gauge and it was about 210 degrees. The usual operating temp on my car is between 160 - 180, so this was a little hot, but it was a warm day. Does anyone have any ideas about this one? I would like to figure out the idle issue.
Thanks.
Michael

As you know when a engine get hotter it likes a leaner mix. Idle speed or not. it sounds like it eith needs slightly more fuel at the 160-180 temp OR it need to run at 210. sure 210 will cost you a couple of ponys, but the wear will better and so will the MPG.

I'll +1 the answer.

*Edit: Also, verify your timing completely. Bring the engine around to TDC on the #1 cylinder, verify that your balancer is correct, and re-stab the distributor if you have to. Or let's meet up sometime next week and work on it. =P

thanks for the info. that is something to consider. so, to run at 210 what would i do?

80broncoman":27uun85y said:
As you know when a engine get hotter it likes a leaner mix. Idle speed or not. it sounds like it eith needs slightly more fuel at the 160-180 temp OR it need to run at 210. sure 210 will cost you a couple of ponys, but the wear will better and so will the MPG.

Thanks Mike,
I really would like your input. I am off during the week on Thursdays, are you available?
Michael

Mercury Mike":3wodzgj0 said:
I'll +1 the answer.

*Edit: Also, verify your timing completely. Bring the engine around to TDC on the #1 cylinder, verify that your balancer is correct, and re-stab the distributor if you have to. Or let's meet up sometime next week and work on it. =P

Higher thermostat will help with bringing up temps, but I believe that your problem lies elsewhere. Let's check it out! And I'm always available, I'm self employed. Where are you from again? Would you be against meeting me in El Monte next Thursday?

Thanks Mike. I'm in Sherman Oaks. I was going to suggest that I could come to you, I really appreciate you helping me out...it's the least I can do :D Even though Dennis would like us to come to his place, I will gladly meet you in El Monte. I will email you and we can figure out the logistic of it all.

Mercury Mike":3iwieoqh said:
Higher thermostat will help with bringing up temps, but I believe that your problem lies elsewhere. Let's check it out! And I'm always available, I'm self employed. Where are you from again? Would you be against meeting me in El Monte next Thursday?

When you guys get together, first thing to check is the ignition system. Make sure your gaps are good and that all is performing well. Idle quality is greatly affected by poor points and plug gaps. Then take a look at the carb.

One of the other big things affecting idle quality is fuel atomization. A dirty or clogged passage to the booster venturi could be causing fuel to dribble in at low speeds instead of being vaporized into fine droplets. When the engine temp gets high enough, those dribbles get vaporized by the heat on the intake floor and your mixture distribution and idle gets better.

I know this is old, but what ever came of fixing the problem? my car is doing the exact same thing...

nothing came of it. mercury mike got flakey on me. but, my idle has improved with learning how to adjust the carb and dizzy. it's not perfect, but better.

I did the same thing along with bumping my thermostat back up to the factory 195 from 180 and my idle greatly improved. but its still not perfect yet either...

good to hear. how do you like your autolite carb? my holley sucks gas!

1967JMG":2z87et8p said:
I did the same thing along with bumping my thermostat back up to the factory 195 from 180 and my idle greatly improved. but its still not perfect yet either...

Back