Duraspark 2/MSD install ooh now with startup video!

wallaka

2K+
VIP
Been a while since I've done anything!

Well, the MegaSquirt is installed in my 240SX, so I needed a new ignition solution for the Comet. I honestly don't think that the TFI distributor is better enough to warrant the pain in the butt it is to get it hooked up. EDIS or nothin! Anyway, I scrounged in the JY and found some parts! Got a DS2 and wires, TFI coil, and ...hmmm...what is this? Somebody left a MSD 6 box in a Camaro? Yaaay for me! $50 later, I'm ready to begin.

I didn't take any pictures of the install, but it is really straightforward. The MSD box is dead simple to wire. Power, ground, switched power, and distributor signal. I ran a relay off of the stock coil wire to give 12v to the MSD. Made up the totally sweet wiring harnesses (I love this braided loom). Everything is soldered, fused etc. I wasn't thinkin or I would've gotten the DS2 plug from the wiring harness, too...such is life.

Oh, and I forgot that these things hold a ton of energy...had the switch on and was farting around with the plug wires and it shocked the mess out of me. Done for the night.

Nice score. You would think the yard guys would have grabbed it and put it on the shelf up in the office with the nice stereos and other overpriced stuff.

Those things do bit pretty hard. Mine triggers off points and sometimes I have to clean the points. Left the key turned on one time. Only 1 time!

fordconvert":1wwcrxc1 said:
Nice score. You would think the yard guys would have grabbed it and put it on the shelf up in the office with the nice stereos and other overpriced stuff.
Oh I'm sure the yard guys are skimming the cream off the top of whatever comes in.... :rolflmao:

Oh, and I forgot that these things hold a ton of energy...had the switch on and was farting around with the plug wires and it shocked the mess out of me. Done for the night.
:shockin: Yah that's one way to test it!

Back