200 cid Hesitation

62 Comet

Not sure if this is common but say at idle, even when warm, I try rev her up and it just boggs down and sometimes catches up or just stalls, it does this while driving too but usually doesn't stall, I've fiddled with the mixture a fair bit and seemed to help a little but soon after went right back to like it was before, any tips i'll appreciate it.

Thanks, Lee

Maybe your gas line is dirty? new filter?
rev it high rpm, and clean the carb with carb cleaner... try not to get much of the carb cleaner down the carb.
if it's auto-trans, check the fluid level, mine did that with low fluid.
check your idle screw for gunk on the end... don't loose the spring
new air filter?
what kind of dizzy is it? is the vacuum cannister still working? (try blowing, if you suck you might get a lung full of fumes)

at high rpm and HIGH temp, drizzle 1 bottle of distilled water (12-16oz) down the carb hole. SLOWLY, should take 60-90 sec's per bottle if you do it multiple times.. this will clean and not harm your cyl walls, valve area's, exhaust ports, piston head, cleans anything that the water comes in contact with that's hot. I've found this to help alot with dirty oiled engines.

just some things to think about.
Richard

Also check to see Accerator pump is working properly. If you are just learning tuning, make sure to just try one thing at time so you can change settings back if you find they have no posative effect :unsure:

Thanks for all the great tips, may rebuild the carb. but it isn't so bad it's not drivable, Ive just got to give her a little bit of gas before I try to take off, or open her up.

Thanks a bunch :beer:

Lee

As Richard was leading to, you might check the distributor and see if the vacuum advance and or centrifugal advance mechanisms are functioning. Improper timing can produce a gutless wonder.
Doug

How would i go seeing if the vacuum advance is working properly, same for the centrifugal advance mechanisms, would these lead to improper timing? And how would I go correcting these?

I'm all questions right now :mrgreen:

Thanks, Lee

As Richard was leading to, you might check the distributor and see if the vacuum advance and or centrifugal advance mechanisms are functioning. Improper timing can produce a gutless wonder.
Doug

How would i go seeing if the vacuum advance is working properly, same for the centrifugal advance mechanisms, would these lead to improper timing? And how would I go correcting these?

I'm all questions right now

Thanks, Lee

If it's still orig. LOD distrib there is no centrifugal advance mechanism. :shock: You should read all about it first. :unsure: here is the link http://classicinlines.com/Loadomatic.asp

The engine is a 71' 200, from what I remember the only thing coming from the distributor is a vaccum hose going to the intake, not sure if that tells anything or not, if that tells the reason for the engine hesitating when it's given a good amount of pedal usually at slower speeds, mostly on take-off.

Lee :thanks:

The very first thing you do when you tune you carbs is to GET YOUR DIZZY RIGHT! Before you touch your carb make sure the point gap/dwell is within spec. Then make sure the initial timing is correct. Then make sure the plugs are clean and the spark is good. THEN dork around with your carb... these are lessons I learn a long time ago...

Here is a test on the distributor I recently posted on another thread.
Quick test for the vac cannister. disconned the vac line at the carb and plug it off. Suck on the end of the vac line while connected to the distributor and see if it holds vac. If you still have a steel vacuum line, you might need to add a hose to be able to do this. Also check to see if the steel line fittings are not leaking. Rig up the vac line to the distributor where you can safely suck on it while the engine is running. When you apply vaccuum the spark timing should advance & the engine speed should increase. If none of this works, then your cannister or the advance mechanism needs / replacement or repair. It has been years since I have looked at the Load-o-Matic distributor, but I think the vac cannister can be removed with the distributor in place.

If you have a timing light, you might also open the throttle and gradually accelerate the engine while aiming the timing light at the balancer. You should see the timing mark advance. If it does not, then something is wrong with the distributor.
Doug

Back