older valve cover - different size PCV?

michael_cini

I put an older valve cover on my engine. the one with the oil fill towards the front of the engine and the PCV opening closer to the firewall. I noticed that the PCV valve opening is bigger. Is there some sort of grommet or is the PCV bigger, or??? Also, do I need to run a line to the air filter or can I just vent it? I have seen some cars with filters attached instead of lines to the air cleaner. Suggestions please.
Michael

My 66's valve cover sounds like your current one (called an open system I believe...not same as road draft). There's a grommet at the rear of the valve cover that the pcv fits into (I'd say the diameter of the pcv itself is about the size of a nickel, IIRC) and the line off the pcv runs to a hose fitting on the carb base. The fill cap is a vented type, there are holes on the underside of the cap and a mesh type filter built into the cap; this feeds clean air to the crank case system when the pcv opens and evacuates gases to the carb via a combo of pressure and vacuum (spring in the pcv is strong enough to keep carb vac from opening it, but is over come by crank case pressure at a certain point).

The other style I've seen called a closed system (I hope I'm not mix-matching terminology here).
The main difference on this one is that the fill cap has a line feeding it fresh-filtered air directly from the air breather, but has basically the same configuration on the out flow line of the pcv (ie back to a fitting on the carb body or base).

On the open system some folks run a 'full filter' type filler cap (looks like a mini K&N mounted at the filler). I'm sure it has some performance benefits for high volume oil systems running at high rpms, but might could also benefit other open systems as well :unsure:

EDIT: whoops Mike...just saw your second post 8)

Back