Pros and cons: weber 32/36 vs autolite 2100

tom_66

I'm just looking for opinions from anyone with any good or bad experience with the Weber 32/36 carburetor.
I have both, haven't decided which one to install on a large log head with a 2-1 adapter.

Tom

Hey Bro, had the 32/36 on when I had my 3.3 and I had a good experience with it. I got good gas mileage and throttle response, even with a 2-1 adapter on a small log manifold. If you really want it to perform well, I would suggest doing the 2BBL conversion to get the most out of that carb.

Thanks for the info. The Classic Inlines tech section highly recommends the Weber 32/36 over the Autolite 2100. However, I've read that autolite 2100 is a great carbs.

Tom

Hi, I have a 2100 on my 289. It is a great carb after the motor warms up. It always starts cold but I need to warm it up a few minutes and it stalls anyway until I get going. Do a cfm calculation or you may end up with a carb that is to big. If you don't know how to do this it is on the Holley website.

I think you are having your motor freshened up at the machine shop. Many here have the log milled for the direct mount of their carb creating improved response. I'm not sure the weber can be directly mounted, a bit of a loss. However, it is a lill more tuneable to ones specific conditions.
Some believe there's no better carb made than the 2100 and it IS tunable. Not sure if it can be directly mounted (pretty sure it can). Have you been to the Classic Inlines tech pages (don't buy frm the sales pages the site is in the middle of some changes & will take $ w/o shipping). Do you have the ford 6 "Handbook"? There are answers for your questions both places and much much more.

I've run both, but it's tough to compare because I had the Weber on a 2-1 adapter on the small log, and then when I swapped to the large log I did a direct mount with the Autolite... so too many other changes to really tell the carb difference. I can say though, that I was never really happy with the 32/36 for low end performance, it was only fun when you floored it. Also it felt like I was constantly messing with jets/tubes, I think you would really need to have a wideband gauge hooked up to get it working well. I tried a 38/38 for a short while too, which had much better low end, but I always had problems getting a good idle with it.

The 2100 was incredibly easy to set up, didn't have to do anything but slightly turn the mix screws after I put it on. I'm going to try some bigger jets eventually, and possibly a Holley power valve to dial it in a little more, but otherwise it drives really well as is.

Back