Clutch Chatter

A

Anonymous

I am still having clutch chatter on my 200. I have a 66 mustang with a
t-5 conversion on it. I have the 67 bellhousing. Here is what i have done. I have had the inner lip of the flywheel grounded out to accomodate the extra springs in the clutch disc. I have had the flywheel turned and milled. I have put on a diaphragm style clutch (i did the diaphragm conversion yesterday and put on the new clutch). I have done all of this to avoid that chatter and to also avoid having to replace the clutch every 4 months. I finished restoring the car back in april. It is a daily driver. Yesterday's clutch was the 3rd clutch that has been put in it since april. Does anyone have any idea what this chatter is?? Can someone help me out?? :unsure::

Do you get the chatter only when in first gear or all the time? Are you using the 9" flat style flywheel? I just finished the T5 conversion and do not have the chatter problem.

Rick

take alook at this.

http://www.inlinepages.com

I have the 9"flat style flywheel. I get the chatter all the time. It is really heard at its worst when i have the choke on because the motor is at a higher rpm. it doesn't make the chatter when i am in gear or in neutral. it only makes the chatter when the clutch is engaged. I can't really tell if it is just the clutch disc skidding on the flywheel or if it's the springs rubbing on the flywheel like my last clutch did.

Why would you have to have the flywheel ground out at all?
My clutch fit in there perfectly.... (What clutch are you using... can you give the PN?)

I am using a RAM 9" disc for the 67 200, diaphram plate and no problem with clearance?

Has your flywheel been surfaced and balanced with each new disc you have used?
and was your install squeaky clean?

Is it possible something is off with the tranny or the driveshaft? How about checking the balance on the shaft? angle of output shaft to rear axle? What yoke are you using and what type of clutch linkage?

There has been a lot of docutmented chatter with the 2.3L T5 conversion... and a lot of causes and solutions.

Odd, but not unknown, is misalignment in the block/bellhousing. The old manuals detailed what to check for, and how possible it was to correct it. Not for the faint-hearted, it included redowelling the bell as required, and/or shimming the bellhousing.

Cheers, Adam.

Improper or damaged pilot bearing comes to mind. Also, possibly damaged input shaft bearing or bent/damaged input shaft. I'll put money on pilot bearing (up to US $0.02). ;)

Well first of all because there are 6 springs on the clutch i put on htere rather than the original 4, the springs were spread further from the middle of the clutch, which causes them to rub and cut and grind on the lip of the flywheel. My installation was squeaky clean. Everything was correct....Except for one thing.... i took the tranny off of the engine and looked at everything once again. The Throwout bearing was sticking. So the chatter was actually just the fingers of the pressure plate rubbing on the throw out bearing. It was easily fixed by replacing the throwout bearing.

Thanx guys

P.S. now the only noise is the clutch.... am i supposed to be able to slightly hear my clutch when it is engaged????

I'd try putting the car on ramps. Withh the engine running, try moving the clutch fork by hand, and try to fiure out if perhaps the throwout bearing is still dragging. Did you polish and lube the snout the bearing slides on? :unsure:

I have a simpler solution to try before you go to the effort of pulling the flywheel to get it resurfaced.

Make certain that the bushings on both ends of the z-bar (the fulcrum between the frame and the engine) are there, and that the fulcrum is tight. There are two bolts on the top of the frame to the rear of the steering gear box. When you loosen them, you'll be able to slide the frame bracket closer to the engine to tighten the z-bar.

Good luck

Does your clutch peddle come all the way back when released?

Check the clutch/brake peddle support bearings. These wear out and can cause the peddles to bind.

If the clutch peddle doesn't come up all the way then the clutch cannot fully engatge.

MustangSteve has a bearing kit to repair this problem.

- Dave

i have already had the flywheel resurfaced. umm i haven't tried the ramps and fork thing yet. Ill try tightening the z bar. And yes the clutch pedal comes all the way up. I might try adjusting the clutch linkaage though :idea:

Back