Degreeing the Cam

StarDiero75

1K+
VIP
Supporter 2018
Howdy guys,

So with my cam I just finished degreeing it. My cam card says, 112 lobe sep and degree intake lobe to 110. After doing the .050" before and after, i got 107 degrees on the intake. Does that mean I'm 3 degrees advanced or 5 degrees?

Thanks,
Ryan

I double checked it, i was alightly off. It is at 109.5, so only 2.5 degrees advanced, thats where its staying

That's perfect, the timing chain will stretch will bring you back to the 2 degree advance setting.

Its actually not 5° as mentioned above, your reading on the intake centerline of 107° is 3°advanced. The separation angle of 112°is fixed and cannot be changed without having the camshaft reground, and is not affected by advancing or retarding the camshaft.

StarDiero75":1tzxbiv2 said:
I double checked it, i was alightly off. It is at 109.5, so only 2.5 degrees advanced, thats where its staying

It's only .5°advanced, or close enough to call it on the money based on the cam cards recommended 110° on the intake!

The concept of "ground in" advance is only relevant if the cam is indexed properly by the grinder. i.e. when installed on the dot's it's got, in this case, 2 deg advance. 107 c/l would still be 5 deg advanced. Sounds like they got it right. 2.5 is good.

I like to check my work on the the center line method, by also checking that the valve events match the cam card , while only turning the crank clockwise.

Back