Coil Theory

Moderator: Mod Squad

DaGr8Tim
VIP Member

Coil Theory

Post #1 by DaGr8Tim » Thu Jun 27, 2013 1:29 pm

I think the canister coil on my CJ is bad (voltage in, but nothing out). I've got a spare coil from a late 90's Jeep inline kicking around in the garage.

From what I understand, the CJ coil has a resistor that steps the voltage to the coil down to 8 volts. The new coil doesn't have a resistor and has 12 volts at the coil.

Would it be possible with alittle wiring to use the later 12 volt coil on my CJ? I'm wondering if I can get a strong spark by doing this. Also, I'm wondering with a stronger spark, if I can open my spark plug gap a bit.

Eventually I want to go an HEI setup, but for now to get it running, I was wondering if this was possible.
A)bort, R)etry, I)nfluence with large hammer

1997 Jeep Cherokee
1975 Jeep CJ5 with a hacked CJ7 tub

Asa
Location: Tampa, Tallahassee, Hangin out in some Florida woods somewhere

Re: Coil Theory

Post #2 by Asa » Thu Jun 27, 2013 3:36 pm

It should be as simple as pie to do that. Basically you'd just cut out the resistor from the circuit. I think there might be a couple other factors in whether it makes a hotter spark though, it would depend on the resistance in the original and the new coil, right?
Right and Wrong are just words, what matters is what you do

Susie - a work in progress
Clyde - ya mule!

DaGr8Tim
VIP Member

Re: Coil Theory

Post #3 by DaGr8Tim » Thu Jun 27, 2013 3:44 pm

Asa wrote:It should be as simple as pie to do that. Basically you'd just cut out the resistor from the circuit. I think there might be a couple other factors in whether it makes a hotter spark though, it would depend on the resistance in the original and the new coil, right?

That's what I'm wondering. I have this accel coil that's supposed to be a "performance" coil from my 98 Cherokee. It'd be nice if I could use that and get a hotter spark out of it.
A)bort, R)etry, I)nfluence with large hammer

1997 Jeep Cherokee
1975 Jeep CJ5 with a hacked CJ7 tub