55, 223 Fuel pressure regulator failure

Daves55Courier

I installed a Holley model 12-804 fuel pressure regulator in Mar 2006 and it failed in July 2009, then I replaced it with a simpler type regulator mfr by Mr Gasket, model 9710 and it has failed. So that second regulator only lasted 13 months. Hmmmm. Both failures occurred during the heat of summer. I had a habit of installing the regulators close to the carb, and in doing so, they were exposed to maximum heat since that is a few inches above the manifold.
If I move the regulator close to the fuel pump, it may be cooler since that is down low and on the opposite side of the engine as the exh manif.
When both failures occurred, it was very hot, the Holley 1904 glass bowl carb flooded and died as if the regulator didnt exist. The expensive Holley regulator did not respond to adjustment on the spot and allowed full force gas to inundate the float chamber. The cheap Mr. Gasket regulator did allow me to resume my trip after I dialed it down to 1.5 # pressure and left the hood open for heat to escape for about 7 minutes. I originally had it set to 2 # and never had a problem with it till now.
Anybody else have this problem ? Is heat detrimental to proper operation or are the regulators just faulty ?
Is my regulator ruined, or will it operate correctly if I move it away from the heat ?

Supplemental info for above problem. I noticed large air bubbles entring the holley glass bowl chamber at the time the carb was flooded as if the gas were boiling. I recently set a cooking thermostat on the engine after it had run for a while and it registered 180 degrees, which should be about right.
Currently the gas line is a black rubber hose that runs all the way from the fuel pump up to the regulator. The regulator is mounted in the fuel line to the carb and about level with the carb near the front of the engine on the manifold side. The regulator was very hot to the touch at the time the failure occured. Couldnt tell any difference between touching the radiator top tank and the regulator.

I don't quite figure why you have to run a regulator to cut down the fuel pressure. The system was not engineered with a regulator. I run a 223 with a stock fuel pump and a glass bowl Holley 1904 and have had no problems with it in the line of what you mention. I have completed two cross-country trips, one over 4,000 miles and one slightly over 3,000 miles, plus it is my daily driver here where it gets quite warm. I do have the stock steel line from the pump to the carb, which goes up from the pump, then around the front of the head, and back to the carb right above the manifolds.

Fred

The reason why my system requires a regulator is because I rebuilt my Holley 1904 with a modern rebuild kit. The fuel inlet fitting that comes with the kit has a much larger hole than the original part had. Approximately 3 times the volume of fuel flows thru the new part as did the original. At full force, that is more than enough pressure to force the inlet needle down and hold it there. A pressure regulator is the only remedy, or I could try to take a chance on using an old inlet fitting but I dont know how it would react with a new needle.

I ran the engine again tonight for a short trip, barely enough to warm up the engine. By the time I got back, the fuel level was at the top of the glass bowl ready to flood the carb. So now I am not so sure that heat is the problem after all ???

Crud in the fuel getting between the needle valve and seat or in the valves of the regulators or float with a leak in it sinking lower as it fills up. Any crud in the bottom of the glass float bowl?

I took the carb apart to check for filth. The fuel inlet fitting and needle are absolutely pristeen.
I ripped out the fuel line from the pump to the carb and got a new regulator. I installed the new regulator down by the fuel pump and ran new metal lines up to the carb. I set the reg to 1.5 lbs
Started her up and let her run for a while and watched the fuel level in the float chamber.
Actually I have my float set a little bit lower than what the spec calls for. Normally the fuel level only fills the glass bowl up about half way.
I watched until enough gas had been consumed that it let some gas in and it seems to shut off fine so far.
I am done with this for now

Back