223ci 8 Hole Valve Cover Gasket.

garrilla

Does anyone know of a source for a 223 cubic inch 8 hole valve cover gasket that's not made from cork? The cork gasket seems to have oil soaking through the alignment tabs that stick out beyond the cover.

The only replacement gasket I can find available is the Fel-Pro VS12690. This gasket is a modern cork/rubber compound that should not "wick" the way you describe. Is this the gasket you're using? If so, how long has it been in place?

Lou Manglass

manglass":qz2wiyq9 said:
The only replacement gasket I can find available is the Fel-Pro VS12690. This gasket is a modern cork/rubber compound that should not "wick" the way you describe. Is this the gasket you're using? If so, how long has it been in place?

Lou Manglass
I believe that is the one I'm using. It's been in use for a few weeks.

Assuming it was fresh stock and not sitting on someone's shelf forever before you installed it, I can only think of a couple things that might cause what you're experiencing:
1) overtightening
2) the flange on the cover might be bent up from having been previously overtightened
3) are your draft tube and oil filler cap clean and allowing the engine to breathe properly?
4) are the oil drain holes clear in the cylinder head?

Lou Manglass

manglass":3qn8h57h said:
Assuming it was fresh stock and not sitting on someone's shelf forever before you installed it, I can only think of a couple things that might cause what you're experiencing:
1) overtightening
2) the flange on the cover might be bent up from having been previously overtightened
3) are your draft tube and oil filler cap clean and allowing the engine to breathe properly?
4) are the oil drain holes clear in the cylinder head?

Lou Manglass
1) Not over tight. Went light on tightening to start, then increased when I saw a little leaking.
2) Flange was straightened up when I painted valve cover. Also added some wide washers to prevent flange from deforming when tightened.
3) No draft tube. I installed a PVC valve meant for a 6 cyl.along with a new oil cap.
4) Drain holes are clear.
I found a Victor gasket at Rock Auto that claims to be rubber. I'll try that. It had a rubber gasket that wasn't leaking before I removed the cover to paint it but was too deformed to reuse it.

The cover may be cracked near the mounting bolt holes where they indent into the cover. When installing these covers I put a LITTLE silicone sealer into the solvent cleaned mounting holes. Also before installing the bolts slather the bolts with silicone also. This has worked well for me with all the older Ford engines.

flatford6":23660r3s said:
The cover may be cracked near the mounting bolt holes where they indent into the cover. When installing these covers I put a LITTLE silicone sealer into the solvent cleaned mounting holes. Also before installing the bolts slather the bolts with silicone also. This has worked well for me with all the older Ford engines.
Thanks, sounds worth a try.

Back