Click Here -> Please Consider Making a PayPal Contribution to the FordSix Forum!
2018 Contributors:
StarDiero75, curts56, DannyG, B RON CO, wsa111, Captainslow42, falconcritter
Econoline, THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER, 95FordFleetside, turbo6, Max_Effort, WorldChampGramp
cr_bobcat, C.S.Designs, pmuller9, gus91326, rwbrooks50, rocklord, drag-200stang, Big64my79Effie, CNC-Dude, gb500

2019 Contributors:
NJwpod, 1strodeo, mightynorseman, maxtrux, 6d7coupe, broncr, Phase3, 68Flareside240, bmbm40,
mustang6, WorldChampGramp, justintendo, BigBlue94, ags290, motorsickle1130, Rooster, ousooner919, ethanperry

Unknown->> M.Ketterer, T.Smith, J.Myers, P.McIntire - Please PM me (1966Mustang) and lemme know who you are!

66sprint6's Boosted Inline still alive and doin well!

Moderator: Mod Squad

66Sprint6

66sprint6's Boosted Inline still alive and doin well!

Post #1 by 66Sprint6 » Mon Sep 16, 2013 3:48 pm

Hey guys, been a while!!!

Once again, priorities had to be reshuffled and unfortunately the automotive hobby as a whole had to be put to the side. Eventually things lightened up and I was able to return to the garage and get back to work. VERY long story somewhat shortened, I sold off my 90 Mustang Coupe and the 393 I was building for it and now have alot more room and time for the 66. I had the chance to attend a dyno day last summer to see how the old turbo inline was doing as well as see if we couldnt figure out how rich it was and what we could do to lean it out. First pull she laid down a VERY miserable 151 RWHP at 8:1 rich :shock: We leaned it out best we could at the moment and gave it another shot. Very next pull knocked out 243 RWHP and just over 300TQ at 9:1 rich.

I worked a tad on the carb to lean it out after the event, tossed together a 3" downpipe to dual Flowmaster 40s and FINALLY put some wheels and tires on it (17" TT2s) and cruised her up to Gatlinburg for the Shades of The Past show we attend every year for the past 5 years. Goofing around, showing off a bit while cruising the strip I upset the car and limped it into a parking lot. After a very miserable time trying to find the issue and limping it 4 hours home I found trash in the carb prompting a rebuild. Fast forward to this year's show, I rebuilt the carb, chased some cooling issues and set out for Gatlinburg with my GF and a trunk full of tools (thank God!!!).

Didnt make it an hour in before she started heating up again. Pulled over 4 times along the way to burp the system and add coolant. After making it there I was bummed to see that she was STILL running super rich at idle, smoking through the exhaust thanks to this and a valve seal being popped up and still had the nasty lean stumble between 10" and 0 on the vacuum gauge when attempting to accelerate. :bang: Took the valve cover off, popped the offending valve seal back on and leaned out the idle on the carb a tad and she was at least happy enough to cruise around for the day

One good thing about popping the hood so many times thru the weekend was that it allowed me to "break down" and surprise my Girlfriend on the road between Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge with a very important question. She said yes and was COMPLETELY caught off guard!

Car ran like doodoo the rest of the trip and I had some very dangerous thoughts about swapping the ole 6 out and tossing a reliable, simple and easy 302 together. :nono: I had a hunch as to why the carb was so messed up making driveability no good and might even account for the overheating and decided to play that hunch first and if it didnt work Ide consider the 302 swap a bit more. The carb was build by QuickFuel and ordered by a shop I worked with LONG ago. I believe there was a mistake in the ordering and they thought I was running Methanol rather than Gas, where as I was gonna run meth injection as an intercooler. They sent the carb with a meth dist. block rather than a pump gas and its been a pain in the butt every since. I ordered up a gas block, slapped it on with NO changes from the old setup, crossed my fingers and held my breath....lets just say the six banger is here to stay as far as Im concerned!!! The lean stumble is completely gone, power is back up and altho she's still super rich I can actually tweak it out now! I am super close to getting it as close to perfect as I can and she runs like a champ. She was always quick back in the day but you had to really work to get it out of her, now its like driving a normal car! I love it and cant wait to get it dialed in a little better. I will try to get it on the dyno again sometime and see what kinda power she puts down soon if I can!

Cliffs Notes:
Car has never ran right, has given me more trouble than good, finally reached the end of my rope, nearly scrapped entire project then the correct carb parts made her fun again and she's here to stay for now! Oh, and now the car cant be sold cause I used it to ask GF to marry me!

Missed you guys, look forward to lurking around and seein whats been goin on since I was last around!!!
Matt
"ITS A SIX!!!!!"

bubba22349
Global Moderator

Re: 66sprint6's Boosted Inline still alive and doin well!

Post #2 by bubba22349 » Mon Sep 16, 2013 8:00 pm

:beer: congrats on the progress and your soon to be wife :thumbup: :nod:
A bad day Drag Racing is still better than a good day at work!

I am still hunting for a project car to build but with my current low budget it's not looking so good. My Ex- Fleet of Sixes these are all long gone! :bang: 1954 Customline 223 3 speed with O/D, 1963 Fairlane project drag car with BB6, 1977 Maverick 250 with C4, 1994 F-150 a 300 with 5 speed.

66Sprint6

Post #3 by 66Sprint6 » Tue Sep 17, 2013 9:58 am

I appreciate it! Its comin along finally, I was able to lean the idle out a tad last night but didnt have time to really see how spot on I could get it. I hope to have it all ironed out before i tear it back apart for the winter to fix a couple things bugging me.

Matt
"ITS A SIX!!!!!"

xctasy
VIP Member

Post #4 by xctasy » Sun Sep 22, 2013 5:39 am

Welcome back. I've been married 23 years to Mrs Xctasy. Love, communication and understanding, and honoring your comitments. Its a traditional covenant with a third party witness, not a contract. I'm a roading Contractors, but contracots, even good ones, quit and go lookin for better options. People who enter into a covenant don't consider anything else but being comitted to success. Failure isn't an option.

It was your testimony to the simplicity of Ford sixes that prompted me to buy an 81 Mustang, and yours, Linc200's and other members here have inspired me.

Well done, thats about 308 flywheel hp! The torque is what our F6 Typhon Falcon turbos put out at the flywheel. MASSIVE!
XEC Ltd ICBE's Inter Continental Ballistic Engines-
FAZER 6Bi (M112 & EEC5) or FAZER 6Ti (GT3582 & EEC5) 425 HP 4.1L/250 I-6
FAZER 6V0 3x2-BBL Holley 188 HP 3.3L/200 I-6 or 235 HP 4.1L/250 I-6
X-Flow Engine Components Ltd http://www.xecltd.info/?rd=10

66Sprint6

Post #5 by 66Sprint6 » Mon Sep 23, 2013 10:47 am

You nailed it Xctacy! Its not all about lovey dovey feelings but rather a team, a partnership and loving/sticking with each other even when things are goin rough. Weve been together for 5 years now and I look forward to many many more!!!

Im really glad this carb is coming around or else I was really close to pulling the six and sticking it in the corner for another project car down the road and replacing it with a simply 302. Now I wont even harbor such irrational thoughts :nono: She's got more power in her I know it, just gotta lean her out quite a bit and see if the ole six can handle it. I have some free time this week so Im gonna try to get it tweaked out, then start on a new project...adapting some E30 BMW Recaros to fit!

Matt
"ITS A SIX!!!!!"

66Sprint6

Post #6 by 66Sprint6 » Tue Sep 08, 2015 1:11 pm

Been a bit since I last updated...to catch things up a bit I went in for a bare-bones rebuild on the bottom end, freshen up the head myself, rebuild the turbo, new intercooler and piping and figured that would be it for me. Cylinder walls were rough so custom RaceTech pistons, ARP rod and main bolts, stock rods were tossed into the mix as was an Aussie head found just down the highway from me and a custom Comp cam from Ed Curtis. Now all is in the air, things are getting moved all over and I still got a ways to go but Im thinking this setup should run pretty ok! Here are a couple pics of the progress.

New intercooler behind custom cut front valance. No more GIANT intercooler sticking out like a sore thumb.

I did all the work outside of the final paint on the valance and am super happy with how it turned out.

2.5" intercooler piping replacing the tiny 2" crap I had before.

I cut it and had a freind TIG it for me. Gonna have to make some adjustments as it was all done for the old setup (pictured below). Now with the Aussie head in place, the turbo needs to be moved and the pipe going to the carb needs to be longer. Looks like Ill need to pay him another visit.

Motor pulled and ready for the machine shop

New radiator for a 67 and up Mustang

The US log manifold wont work with the Aussie head so my old J pipe setup is out the window. It would have needed some tweaking anyways to move the turbo out of the intakes way but Im now forced to do what I wanted to do a while back...build a header. Ive been going back and forth with a couple folks on a flange so I can get started and should have one here local in a week or so, so while Im waiting I thought ide tackle another needed change. Alternator relocation. In order to give the turbo all the room I could I decided to move the alternator to the driver's side. Couldnt track down a bracket from a Granada PLUS i realized the 3g alternator Im using is too big and would hit the plug wires on the dizzy so I got to work on my own. Its ugly but effective and will work till I can figure out how to make it look better. Decided to toss it all together to see how my hood clearance would be with the new intake and carb hat...

Hood closes no problem and it looks pretty ok in there!!! The intercooler piping will be modded to fit right and the ugly alt will be ok I guess but otherwise I think it looks awesome. Thats where Im at now, gonna finish up some wiring and little odd jobs till the flange shows up and I can carry on! Ill try to update as I go!

Matt
"ITS A SIX!!!!!"

bubba22349
Global Moderator

Post #7 by bubba22349 » Tue Sep 08, 2015 2:07 pm

:beer: Yes thats packaged way better and it's really looking much cleaner! I can't wait to hear how it runs with the new 2V head combo. Good luck :thumbup:

I am still hunting for a project car to build but with my current low budget it's not looking so good. My Ex- Fleet of Sixes these are all long gone! :bang: 1954 Customline 223 3 speed with O/D, 1963 Fairlane project drag car with BB6, 1977 Maverick 250 with C4, 1994 F-150 a 300 with 5 speed.

65fback

Post #8 by 65fback » Tue Sep 08, 2015 5:39 pm

Cool new setup. Looking forward to see what you end up with on the dyno with it.
'65 Mustang Fastback

66Sprint6

Post #9 by 66Sprint6 » Wed Sep 09, 2015 11:29 am

Thanks guys. Itll be a bit but Ill get it back up and going as soon as I can. Once its all broken in and running half decent Ide like to track down a good blow thru carb guy in the area (good luck) and see if I cant get some help fine tuning it on the dyno. Till then Ill just make sure its happy A/F wise on the street and go from there.

Matt
"ITS A SIX!!!!!"

JackFish
VIP Member

Post #10 by JackFish » Wed Sep 09, 2015 3:54 pm

Sweet. You could try the smaller 3G.
1978 Ford Fairmont station wagon
1978 Ford Fairmont station wagon
Yup, I bought another one.
1996 Chevy Caprice 9C1 (3)
1999 Dodge Ram 2500

66Sprint6

Post #11 by 66Sprint6 » Wed Sep 09, 2015 5:39 pm

I have one and tossed it in but it didnt make enough of a difference for me to be happy. It clears the dizzy perfectly BUT looks exactly the same as the bigger version in the same spot. I tossed the bigger version back in the bracket, spaced it up off the engine mount a good 1/4" which allowed me to rotate it back towards the valve cover. This cleans it up enough for me to be alot happier. No matter what I use itll still stick out a bit but so long as it works and everything clears fine Ill get over it :nod: Ill toss up a pic after the bracket dries and I have it all installed.

Matt
"ITS A SIX!!!!!"

66Sprint6

Post #12 by 66Sprint6 » Thu Sep 10, 2015 10:35 am

Ok, i know its not much but Im MUCH happier with the looks of this setup now.

Radiator is mocked up as well and I will be ordering a new SPAL low profile 16" fan to fit the gap. Itll be tight but it SHOULD fit and I can run it as a puller rather than a pushed like the old setup.

Forgot to toss this on here but figured it would help others doing the Aussie/Aluminum head swap. I swapped the V8 gas pedal in when I went with the 2 barrel on the stock log. Worked great but I couldt figure out how to make it work with the Aussie intake and the carb finally pointing the right direction. Did some research and came up with NOTHING for the little six, but found a couple people putting together cable setups for their 289/302s using a 69+ Mustang gas pedal and Lokar cable. Ordered up the parts and got to work!

69+ pedal moves the entire linkage inside the car where the V8 and I6 pedals have the linkage in the engine bay.

The BRAND NEW Scott Drake pedal had some issues...mainly the part the pedal bolted on was backwards. I looked all over the internet and found numerous stock pedals to confirm. I ended up cutting it off and welding it back the right way in the end.

Mocked it up, made sure everything was where I wanted then drilled 2 holes to mount it up

Drilled the hole for the Lokar cable, cut the top of the pedal linkage and turned it sideways to work better with the Lokar setup and welded it back. Then ran it to the carb, made some brackets to hold it in place and cut the cable and its sheath to length.

Works perfect and looks great too! Very clean setup, I really like it so far!

Matt
"ITS A SIX!!!!!"

bubba22349
Global Moderator

Post #13 by bubba22349 » Thu Sep 10, 2015 11:28 am

:beer: Very nice work :nod:

sthorvictor

Post #14 by sthorvictor » Thu Sep 10, 2015 10:37 pm

looks awesome, allot of attention to detail love it
Best of luck,

Seth

turbocharged maf 300 f150

66Sprint6

Post #15 by 66Sprint6 » Mon Sep 21, 2015 10:35 am

Thanks!

Tracked down an early 200 with adjustable rockers, went to buy the rockers and came home with the whole motor :lol: Got them installed along with some cupped pushrods that the owner of the head gave me. They are slightly shorter than the stock pushrods and appear to be slightly beefier. Anyways, on the initial, dry lifter adjustment the adjusters were nearly bottomed out to get the propper adjustment but Im gonna run with em anyways and see if its better once the motor is broken in and I readjust them.

Realized I never posted a pic of the flange for the header. 1/2" mild steel and the guy who made the drawing for me (local Grand National guy) went ahead and put 1.5" round ports in to make things a little easier.

Everything lined up spot on perfect but putting the bolts all in together was a pain. I drilled out two mounting holes just a tad and now it goes together nicely. Im still waiting on the pipe to show up for the header as well as a new fan so I can continue plugging away at this thing.

Matt
"ITS A SIX!!!!!"

pikesan

Post #16 by pikesan » Mon Sep 21, 2015 2:02 pm

Great looking Mustang and nice looking turbo setup!!
See all my cars here: Pikesan's Garage What's in your garage?

motzingg

Post #17 by motzingg » Mon Sep 21, 2015 3:04 pm

You might want to drill the hole bigger and put a grommet in it, on the cable bracket running along the back of your engine. Chances pretty good it will rub through the vinyl coating on the cable and let corrosion in.

motzingg

Post #18 by motzingg » Mon Sep 21, 2015 3:29 pm

ps: can't wait to see this header!!

66Sprint6

Post #19 by 66Sprint6 » Tue Sep 22, 2015 10:22 am

Not a bad idea, I could very easily put that together, thanks!!!

Nothing big to talk about, still waiting on parts (story of my life) altho I have come up with the willpower to tackle some other wiring jobs that need addressing so I guess Ill keep on them for now. I hate wiring but at the same time, I love when its cleaned up, works right and looks good so I guess Ill tackle it little by little.

Matt
"ITS A SIX!!!!!"

66Sprint6

Post #20 by 66Sprint6 » Thu Oct 01, 2015 4:37 pm

Got all the pieces...

...and have spent 2 days going NOWHERE :bang: Im getting the hang of it tho and should have something to show soon enough. Im gonna tack it all together and have my buddy TIG it for me for sure but otherwise Im hoping to have something half decent to run with when Im done. It wont be an all out equal length tuned blah blah blah header but it should flow better than the stock manifold/Jpipe setup and will hopefully leave plenty of room for the 3" downpipe and intake to live together happily. Wont even be able to see it once everything is in place but Im still gonna try to make it look decent while Im at is as well.

Matt
"ITS A SIX!!!!!"

66Sprint6

Post #21 by 66Sprint6 » Tue Oct 06, 2015 12:18 pm

Heres the slow progress on the header so far. I work slow and its a heck of a learning curve but after some words of encouragement from Mike and reminding myself to slooooow down and take my time, Im starting to have fun rather than stress out and doubt myself. I have about 4 hours, one entire evening after work in the last pic alone. Everything is tacked for mock up so I can break it all loose again to adjust or mod and then it will all be welded up when finished.

After alot of thinking, researching and measuring I had some plans drawn up for a header that would scavenge, keep exhaust flow up and spool the turbo with no lag all while not adding any extra heat to the engine bay and guaranteed to never crack under stress and look amazing while doing it. Then I woke up from the nightmare (you know the one, where you spend too much time studying and thinking about something and it haunts your dreams) and drew this up instead.

Itll work for the space I have, be affordable and do the job better than the stock manifold with Jpipe. Ive created a little bit of a headache to do the transitions but doing a 6-2-1 with collectors or even a 6-1 with a big collector just wouldnt fit with the limited space without costing me a fortune. Money isnt the issue, its that IM making it so I dont want a ton of $$$ in something I put together for the first time. If I redo it down the road I might try something different but this should do for now. I kinda stole the idea from a collection of old school Lake pipe headers, try Ys (sorta) and LS truck manifold designs.

Decided to tackle the first obstacle first, clearing the starter.

I then put the middle two pipes in to see where everything else was going to end up. I got started on 1-3 to gain some momentum, see some results and convince myself that I didnt just waste a bunch of pipe. I made some mistakes but nothing that couldnt be sorted out.

Fixed the mistake and got to work on the hardest part so far, the transition of #2 into #1 and then #1 into #3. One down, another to go!

I hope to have 1, 2 and 3 all together this week so I can get started on 4, 5 and 6 soon!

Matt
"ITS A SIX!!!!!"

drag-200stang

Post #22 by drag-200stang » Thu Oct 08, 2015 9:56 am

Great job Matt . The right mini starter will save 10 pounds and a lot more room.
66 Mustang Coupe
200 turbo w/lenco 4-spd
stock adj. rockers, stock timing set, ARP studs
best 1/4 mile ET 9.85/best mph 139 on 8 lbs progressing to 15 lbs boost
Went 9's when 10's was fast.

66Sprint6

Post #23 by 66Sprint6 » Thu Oct 08, 2015 10:51 am

Im debating doing the mini starter...will make this header deal alot easier as well. What mini starters work with our 2 bolt 200s?

Matt
"ITS A SIX!!!!!"

drag-200stang

Post #24 by drag-200stang » Thu Oct 08, 2015 11:16 am

Call Robbmc they should be able to help you.
66 Mustang Coupe
200 turbo w/lenco 4-spd
stock adj. rockers, stock timing set, ARP studs
best 1/4 mile ET 9.85/best mph 139 on 8 lbs progressing to 15 lbs boost
Went 9's when 10's was fast.

66Sprint6

Post #25 by 66Sprint6 » Thu Oct 08, 2015 11:19 am

Little more progress from last night. Got cylinders 1-3 mocked up and tacked in place...hopefully for good but to where I can easily cut any one of em loose and adjust if necessary.

Put it in the car and decided to wanted to adjust the angle that it exits to the collector. If I had realized this ahead of time I could have turned the entire pipe but thats ok, little cut and a tack or two and were back on schedule. Added the #4 pipe and got it pointing where I want it to as well.

This part looks a little funky to me but I mocked up the collector and itll line up nicely with a little work and should put the collector exactly where I want it. Gonna mess with the #6 pipe and get it sorted out next I think.

Matt
"ITS A SIX!!!!!"

66Sprint6

Post #26 by 66Sprint6 » Thu Oct 08, 2015 11:23 am

drag-200stang wrote:Call Robbmc they should be able to help you.

Will do! Thanks for the heads up. If I can find one decent enough Ill jump on it, if not Ill make the stock style work.

Matt
"ITS A SIX!!!!!"

66Sprint6

Post #27 by 66Sprint6 » Mon Oct 12, 2015 11:38 am

Almost there!!!

All tacked up in the back so the ugly welds wont show.

Got the collector together best I could

All I have to do now is get the collector to meet up at the right angle and then this part of mock up is done.

Next will be adding a Vband to the end of the collector. This will allow me to remove the up pipe to the turbo and then remove the header from the engine bay easier. I have the 2" pipe to go from the collector to the turbo, just waiting for the Vband to show up as well as a 2" to 2.25" reducer to meet up with the turbo flange.

Matt
"ITS A SIX!!!!!"

bubba22349
Global Moderator

Post #28 by bubba22349 » Mon Oct 12, 2015 11:53 pm

That's looking great, and should be a quite an improvement in flow over a stock exhaust manifold with a J pipe! :nod:

66Sprint6

Post #29 by 66Sprint6 » Tue Oct 13, 2015 10:53 am

I sure hope so! I guess so long as it doesnt flow WORSE than the stock setup Ill be good :rolflmao: I had every intention to do a simple log setup BUT decided to have some fun and try something else instead. Almost done with it too, cant wait to get it welded up and see how she does!

Matt
"ITS A SIX!!!!!"

66Sprint6

Post #30 by 66Sprint6 » Wed Oct 14, 2015 10:23 am

Ok, got back to work on the header last night and got the #3 pipe to collector set up nicely after a couple tweaks. Getting #4 to the collector was another thing entirely. Probably one of the hardest parts of the entire build and when I thought ide have to buy another 180* pipe to get the bend I needed, a piece of scrap that was hiding out under the welding cart ended up saving the day. It had a minor bend at one end and after some massaging to get the opening angles right it worked out nicely.

Im 100% more happy with the way the #4 pipe looks going into the collector now.

I still have to bolt it onto the head and make sure its 100% but Im almost positive that it is. If so I can move on!

Matt
"ITS A SIX!!!!!"

66Sprint6

Post #31 by 66Sprint6 » Thu Oct 15, 2015 11:27 am

Heres a shot with the intake on to show the clearance for the downpipe. Im hoping to be able to drop the downpipe low and have some room between it and the intake for heat reasons. I may also put together a heat shield but we will cross that bridge when we get there.

This shows the angle of the collector to where the turbo will sit. Im very happy with this so far, should be a simple short run to the turbo from here.

Matt
"ITS A SIX!!!!!"

Soldmy66

Post #32 by Soldmy66 » Thu Oct 15, 2015 2:04 pm

Wow - I am impressed - nicely done.

Will you be adding any bracing/supports on the turbo items to reduce weight-based stress on the header?

66Sprint6

Post #33 by 66Sprint6 » Thu Oct 15, 2015 5:00 pm

YES!!!! Once I get the turbo mocked up and where I want it the first thing I will be doing is putting together a good brace for it to try and take most if not all the weight off the header itself. I dont want this sucker cracking after all Ive done getting it together!

Matt
"ITS A SIX!!!!!"

65fback

Post #34 by 65fback » Thu Oct 15, 2015 7:45 pm

Wow, Matt. You're making some really good progress. I'm really looking forward to seeing the final product. I just wish I had some metal skills myself.
'65 Mustang Fastback

66Sprint6

Post #35 by 66Sprint6 » Fri Oct 16, 2015 10:37 am

I didnt and technically still dont :lol: but I just ended up grabbing some old tubing, cutting it into a bunch of pieces then practiced making it stick back together. Did the same with some thin sheet metal and once I got good enough to make it stick without blowing holes or warping I got to work on the car. TONS of fun and when your done you have alot to be proud of.

Matt
"ITS A SIX!!!!!"

Does10s
FSP Moderator

Post #36 by Does10s » Sun Oct 18, 2015 11:59 pm

Looking good Matt!
Keep up the good work!
Will
'86 Mustang, Turbocharged, Best ET: 10.70@132.
'69 Mustang Sportsroof, 351w, auto
'63 Falcon, Turbocharged 250, C4, 9", Best ET: 10.64@127mph 11/21/14

66Sprint6

Post #37 by 66Sprint6 » Mon Oct 19, 2015 12:52 pm

Thanks Will! Its gonna be a bit before I fire her up again but Im having a blast fabbing this stuff up!

Didnt have a ton of time this weekend but I got the 3 bolt flange cut off the old J pipe, pressed the 2"-2.5" reducer into the 2.25" hole in the flange, tacked it together and cut off the excess. I then mocked and measured up where I wanted the turbo to sit and got the up pipe tacked in place. If these pics are too dark Ill try to get better ones.

Heres the turbo in place. After accidentally breaking off the bottom of the header when the turbo slipped out of my hand I wedged some wood blocks under it to support the weight and then put some silicone couplers under the air filter and the sharpie between the turbo and radiator to hold it all together. Should live fairly happy in this spot and should allow the downpipe and oil drain line room to live in peace with everything else.

Im gonna have to redo the intercooler pipe on that side to move it closer to the turbo and probably make a heat shield for the intake but its the only place I can make this thing fit and be happy. Oil drain line will be a little longer than before but should still be ok. Ive got the 3" bends on the way to get the downpipe sorted out THEN I can tackle the turbo brace to keep the weight off the header.

Matt
"ITS A SIX!!!!!"

Soldmy66

Post #38 by Soldmy66 » Mon Oct 19, 2015 3:24 pm

Bravo.

pikesan

Post #39 by pikesan » Mon Oct 19, 2015 4:42 pm

I'm diggin your build! Keep it up!
pikesan
See all my cars here: Pikesan's Garage What's in your garage?

66Sprint6

Post #40 by 66Sprint6 » Tue Oct 20, 2015 12:09 pm

Thanks guys! Eager to see what this setup is all about. Ive had this car long enough to be on my 4th or 5th build/refresh/rebuild/setup under the hood and it only gets better and better every time I fiddle with it :mrgreen: Look forward to seein whats next!

Matt
"ITS A SIX!!!!!"

Soldmy66

Post #41 by Soldmy66 » Tue Oct 20, 2015 3:36 pm

I am, too.

hotrodguy

Post #42 by hotrodguy » Tue Oct 20, 2015 6:50 pm

I will soon be following what you are doing, building a 250 6 turboed on E 85 drag race only. You're doing great work. Randy

hotrodguy

Post #43 by hotrodguy » Tue Oct 20, 2015 6:54 pm

What model and size turbo are you using and how much boost?

66Sprint6

Post #44 by 66Sprint6 » Wed Oct 21, 2015 10:30 am

Its TE44 turbo thats an upgrade for the Buick GN. I was running 15psi low boost and 20psi when I wanted to have fun. Im gonna see how the new setup does but if all goes well Ide like to try 15-20psi low and see if I can push 25+ for my high setting. Ill run as much as I possibly/safely can!

Matt
"ITS A SIX!!!!!"

66Sprint6

Post #45 by 66Sprint6 » Wed Nov 04, 2015 11:40 am

Garage is still in dissaray thanks to me getting sick as a dog and family coming into town etc BUT I took a break from taking a break last night to work on the car while the wife was away and she couldnt yell at me for not taking a break. The stock downpipe elbow is off the turbo and not going back on, got a new adventure coming that will make the downpipe alot more efficient and will allow me to route it any which way I please. With this in mind I decided to move the turbo a little to allow for as straight a path as possible. I could probably change up the bottom of the header and mount the turbo straight and low but I would have issues with the shocktower and oil return line etc so I stuck with the plan and just shortened up the up pipe and clocked the turbo a bit.

Took nearly 3" out of the up pipe and turned it slightly. Now the turbo has tons of clearance on all sides, sits lower and the downpipe will be happier. Itll still have to turn a little more than 45* initially out of the flange but then its a fairly straight shot under the intake. Im hoping this will work out alot better than the stock elbow and another 90* below it to get it where it needs to go. More info on the new downpipe setup in a couple days when the flange shows up!

Matt
Last edited by 66Sprint6 on Wed Nov 04, 2015 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"ITS A SIX!!!!!"

66Sprint6

Post #46 by 66Sprint6 » Wed Nov 04, 2015 4:39 pm

Right after posting up about the latest tweaks the UPS guy dropped this sucker off.

RJC's 3" downpipe flange with larger wastegate puck. Gonna be a bit of work to get it all sorted but I cant wait to get to it. Should free things up nicely behind the turbo and allow me to rid some of the small bottlenecks in the setup.

Matt
"ITS A SIX!!!!!"

66Sprint6

Post #47 by 66Sprint6 » Thu Nov 05, 2015 10:31 am

Heres the flange and flapper all together and ready to go.

The wastegate hole was already opened up a bit and the passage massaged by the previous owner of the turbo so the bigger puck compliments it nicely. I added a couple extra tacks where I could on the wastegate arm sleeve to make sure it wouldnt come loose down the road. I also adjusted the wastegate actuator's arm and welded it up. Should all be solid.

Now I will bolt it up and get started on the downpipe!

Matt
"ITS A SIX!!!!!"

66Sprint6

Post #48 by 66Sprint6 » Fri Nov 06, 2015 10:33 am

Got some work done last night on the downpipe.  Getting the angle of the downpipe out of the turbo, under the intake and passed the headers was actually quite easy thanks to planning ahead when working on the header.  Getting the wastegate section to tie in with the rest of the downpipe was a pain, but we already knew it would be!  I actually nailed it on my first go at it BUT the angle was too shallow and the wastegate puck wouldnt open far enough for me to be happy.  I then ended up cutting 3 more pieces until I finally went back to #2 and made it fit.

Main pipe with the section for the puck cut out and hammered flat.

Puck section ready to go in.  It was a little short but it fit perfect otherwise and I was out of bends so I decided to go with it.

ALOT of cutting, grinding and hammering went into this so I was a little pensive when I got the welder out.  After a couple test passes to try my best to get the settings in a decent place I said heck with it and went to town.

Welds arent the prettiest in the world, but they came from ME...and the pieces are still stuck together, so I think they look awesome
Ive got to cut the main section down to match, so a tiny bit of smoothing inside and then hopefully itll all still line up nicely and I can get it stuck to the flange.

Matt
"ITS A SIX!!!!!"

sthorvictor

Post #49 by sthorvictor » Fri Nov 06, 2015 7:03 pm

custom header looks neat! looks good.
Best of luck,

Seth

turbocharged maf 300 f150

66Sprint6

Post #50 by 66Sprint6 » Mon Nov 09, 2015 10:33 am

Got some welding done today.  Little cleanup to allow the bolts to clear and it was set.

Looks awesome...so close!  Gonna try to get the header to a buddy to TIG up for me and in the mean time I'll keep the downpipe going till it connects with the rest of the exhaust.

Matt
"ITS A SIX!!!!!"