E85 with Weber carbs

I just installed my programmable msd ignition. I have found that my engine really is limited on how much the timing may advance at lower rpm due to my 11-1ish compression with an iron head. I was almost able to remove all of the detonation however, the engine is sensitive to the weather and will still detonate at times. I need this engine to last me a few more years till I can build it's replacement. I'm thinking about maybe going to e85, but I have not found anything on how to convert them. I know that I'd have to change the o-rings, but what about the accelerator pump, power valves, and any other rubber parts? Does anyone make a kit? I run 2 Weber 34 ict carbs and a Weber 38/38 on my tri-power 200. I have a water meth system, but I don't see any way of metering it to use at any point but full throttle. I have many e85 pumps in California.

In order to run E85, all circuits in the carbs have to modified to flow more fuel.

Are you using an air/fuel ratio meter to tune the carburetors?
It may be a matter of richening the fuel mixture where it is detonating.

What does the timing curve graph look like?
Which water/methanol system do you have?

At the moment, I have the initial timing set at 18* with the total timing set at 36*. All of the timing is in at 3,000rpm. I have a straight line from 18*@0-1000 then a straight incline / to 36*@3000 then I have it retard 4*@4000 to help with top speed. It still detonates a little. I do not run vac advance. I can use the map port as a sort of vacuum advance, but only from atmosphere pressure to 0. I found a vacuum switch that is adjustable to 6" that I'm going to try to use with my water meth along with a RPM window switch to turn the system off when at a higher RPM when it is not needed. At the moment, I only have the water meth system on at full throttle. It is triggered by the nitrous solenoid. It is a stage 1 snow performance system.

With 11:1 compression ratio I would think you could set the initial at 16 and total to 34 degrees.

Now that you can watch the rpm on your laptop, what rpm range are you getting detonation and how much throttle?
Remind me. Are you running a cold air intake?

It seems to get detonation around 3000, it only detonates when it is hot and dry out. The weather is cooler today and I didn't hear any detonation at all. I'm not running any sort of cold air intake. I was thinking of getting a spare hood and making some sort of scoop with taller air filters. I'll try running it at 16-34. I did move the curve over the weekend so that it now has all of the timing come in at 2500. It seemed to like that.

I have also thought about making a duct that will direct cooler air to the carburetor area. I don't think that I have any room to mount a tube from the front of the car, but maybe I can cut into the side of the inner wheel well near where the battery used to sit.

If it is doing better with the timing all in at 2500 then leave it alone for now.
if you still have a problem then change the total timing to 34 and leave the initial at 18.

Back