250 xflow into XA Falcon?

LukeNukem":2xydm6tz said:
Lookin forward to getting it all out tomorrow.
On that note, how easy is it to lift out the gearbox and engine as one?
It's the only way to go - I can get the engine/box out of an XF in 2 hours on my own like that...

The trick is to jack the back of the car up nice and high.
(I have an Apac garage jack and put that under the diff centre, jack it up as high as it will go and then put ramps with blocks of wood under them under the back wheels to make up the height)
This makes it way easier to get the engine/box out as a unit (way less tilting required)

Leave enough room at the front of the car to roll the engine lifter bawy from the car...

Whe you attach the lifting chain, hook the crane on about 1/3 back from the front lifting ring - this will give you roughly the right amount of tilt.

You can pop the gas strut off at the bottom and push the bonnet way back Cortina style to save the trouble of unbolting it - just make sure you tie it back with rope to avoid getting snapped by it - that would be bad...

You'll need to use an old tailshaft yoke or a proper plug to stop the gearbox making a huge slick in the garage.

The XF box has the electronic speedo sender plugging that hole and you can borrow that to plug up the XA speedo cable hole while getting it's engine/box out (you may have to take the cog off to get it to go in - but that's OK)

Did you say that the XA already has a BW box in it?

Been looking at the XF floorpan where the floor shifter goes through and thinking it might be a good idea to jigsaw the hump out of the XF and fit it into the ZD to have a floor shift and the late model console with the storage box and A/C ducts for the rear seat - need to check out what is available in aftermarket AC Evap units that might work in with that...

The hump is a nice piece that is spot welded over a neat hole - I'll have to cut it out and offer it up to the ZD to see if the floors are the same shape there - it looks as though it is...

The problem with XF Column autos is they have a habit of jumping out of Park real easy - nasty if the engine is running - I think there was a recall but the one I have in the ZC is still a bit dicky...

Why the hell I never thought of jacking up the back instead of the front, I'll never know, thats just too bloody logical!

Yeah the XA already had a borgie bolted in.

Thinking about going floor change, but theres a small problem.
The XA has a bloody big, wide, spacey interior, and to reach from where I sit behind the whell, to where the shifter will be on the floor, is quite a strech.
But atleast it'll be auto, floor change 4 speed would be a bitch, the dash isnt quite in the right place for it.

LukeNukem":3l0s8y5z said:
Why the hell I never thought of jacking up the back instead of the front, I'll never know, thats just too bloody logical!
That's about what I said whe I heard the idea...

Yeah the XA already had a borgie bolted in.
So the speedo sender from the XF will fit right in to stop the big leak when the tilt comes on...

Thinking about going floor change, but theres a small problem.
The XA has a bloody big, wide, spacey interior, and to reach from where I sit behind the whell, to where the shifter will be on the floor, is quite a strech.
It will be the same as in the XF - sit in there and see how you like it...

Also, the XF front seats will bolt right in to the XA if you are interested...

I've considered the XF seats, really seriously considered it!

But I think I like the memories of the bench seats better ;)

Well thats all for me tonight, I'm gonna get an early start tomorrow.
And I'll keep you all up to date, I know people can be curious to see how things turn out.

LukeNukem":1r139tyu said:
I've considered the XF seats, really seriously considered it!
That's what I'll be using in the ZD

I'm aiming for the cheapest build up ever

So far, I've spent $50 - to buy the ZD shell - got the ZL for $0 - just had to pick it up...

lucky basterd, the ZC has a really nice shape to it, kinda like an XY crossed with a bit of '50s style.
And that cheap, wow...

I should be doing the big lift today.
Got the computer wiring loom sorted and pulled out. Easy, once you get the computer plug through the fire wall.

And fuck me, but what are half of those wierd arsed vacum tubes for?
And what are the 2 little solinoids (i guess thats what the are) for that are bolted to the block near the dissy?

Just gotta unbolt the gearbox and the ngine mounts and should be ready to go.

LukeNukem":3tao0ym6 said:
lucky basterd, the ZC has a really nice shape to it, kinda like an XY crossed with a bit of '50s style.
And that cheap, wow...
It was very incomplete - basically a rolling shell - no front sheet metal, no back doors, no steering bits, no interior etc...
It has good sills and good floors, and the rule is "If it has good sills and good floors, BUY IT!"

I should be doing the big lift today.
Got the computer wiring loom sorted and pulled out. Easy, once you get the computer plug through the fire wall.

And Snark me, but what are half of those wierd arsed vacum tubes for?
And what are the 2 little solinoids (i guess thats what the are) for that are bolted to the block near the dissy?
They are called Vacuum Solenoid and Vent Solenoid - they are controlled by the ECU and they control the amount of vacuum sent to the EGR Valve.
You should slip down to the local library and photocopy the EFI sections out of an XF manual if you don't have one there.
The description of how it all works makes all that spaghetti make much more sense.

Does your EFI engine have the knock sensor on the front driver's side head bolt?
These EFI setups are the go (the cars mine came with were badged EEC4 on the front guards) - especially with the rubbish fuel we have these days - the ECU monitors the engine for pinging and when it detects some, it winds the spark advance back till it stops - very nifty...

Another good clue I picked up somewhere was that these EFI engines are totally sealed units - all air entering the engine should come in via the vane airflow meter - every other opening has to be sealed or you get idle speed fluctuations and rough running.
The dipstick has a seal, the oil filler cap must seal properly etc...

Just gotta unbolt the gearbox and the ngine mounts and should be ready to go.
Don't forget to find the earth strap between the engine and body and disconnect it before you start the lift :)

I found the earth strap :LOL:

Can I do away with the EGR stuff?
Going to be going to the library soon, so I'll be doing quite alot of photo copying while Im there.

I've never seen a knock sensor before, but I'm guessing its the hoodackey with 2 wires, at the front left of the engine, close to the water pump, as you look from the front of the car.

Good floors and good sills aye?
Yeah I've heard that one before.
And I'm still kicking myself for not picking up a $700nz XY-GT that only had a completly rusty drivers floor, that was the only rusty spot in the whole car!
And it was cheap because someone had striped all the GT stuff off it and nicked the engine and trans.
But the VIN plate was still there!

LukeNukem":rifytjkm said:
I found the earth strap :LOL:

Can I do away with the EGR stuff?
Not legally in Aus - not sure about NZ
I've heard of people leaving it all there and plugging the vacuum line going to the EGR valve to disable the function but leave it original looking...

Going to be going to the library soon, so I'll be doing quite alot of photo copying while Im there.

I've never seen a knock sensor before, but I'm guessing its the hoodackey with 2 wires, at the front left of the engine, close to the water pump, as you look from the front of the car.
It sits up on top - driver's side on a head bolt...

Good floors and good sills aye?
Yeah I've heard that one before.
And I'm still kicking myself for not picking up a $700nz XY-GT that only had a completly rusty drivers floor, that was the only rusty spot in the whole car!
And it was cheap because someone had striped all the GT stuff off it and nicked the engine and trans.
But the VIN plate was still there!
Yep - that would have been a good buy
It probably also had rust under the guards at the bottom of the windscreen - they all do...

yep. its got a knock sensor alright.

And the XY-GT, I probably did have the rust at the bottom of the windscreen, probably what caused the floor to rust, but hey, a GT with the vin plate for $700, hook me up.

Pulled the engine and box about 15min ago, no problems!
Well ok, I forgot to unhook the accelerator cable and it snapped, and the gearbox drained itself all over the driveway...

Cleanup time, the engine that is!

Oh yeah, any tips for cleaning a really think layer of dirt and oil off?
AND! While the engines out, I need a little help with something else.
When the engine was running, when it was first turned on for the day, oil presure was nice and high, but as the day went on, and running around for a bit, say an hour, oil pressure dropped quite low!
What would cause this?
Oil being pumped to the top of the engine and not going back down?
Faulty oil pump?

Moderated #u#$%^t! Can a ZC front be bolted onto an XA Wagon???
I'm falling in love with the Fairlane...

LukeNukem":1lnlutmw said:
yep. its got a knock sensor alright.
So on the computer, the sticker probably says EEC4?

And the XY-GT, I probably did have the rust at the bottom of the windscreen, probably what caused the floor to rust, but hey, a GT with the vin plate for $700, hook me up.

Pulled the engine and box about 15min ago, no problems!
Well ok, I forgot to unhook the accelerator cable and it snapped, and the gearbox drained itself all over the driveway...
I did warn you about that...

Cleanup time, the engine that is!

Degreaser - blast off with water - repeat till clean...

AND! While the engines out, I need a little help with something else.
When the engine was running, when it was first turned on for the day, oil presure was nice and high, but as the day went on, and running around for a bit, say an hour, oil pressure dropped quite low!
What would cause this?
Oil being pumped to the top of the engine and not going back down?
Faulty oil pump?
Probably needs new oil - use 20W50 that may fix it

Also, while the engine is out, it probably needs a new timing chain
You can check this by grabbing the harmonic balancer and rocking it from side to side - you'll notice that you can turn the crankshaft until it gets hard to turn then back the other way till it gets hard that way as well - the amount of movement you get is how much slack there is in the chain from stretch - these chains wear heaps because there is no oil feed to lubricate them - they rely on oil vapour coming up from the sump...

You can fix this by drilling a 1/16" hole in the welsh plug at the front of the lifter oil gallery (it is exposed when you take the camshaft gear off to replace it)

From factory, the timing chain will wear enough to need replacing every 100,000 to 150,000 km - after you dril the hole to let oil spray onto the chain, it will last the rest of the life of the engine...

hey luke, if you need xa wiring diagrams i have a factory workshop manual that i could probobly photocopy the diagrams for you

or do what im doing, scrap the efi and go LPG (maybe u can go turbo too :eek: )

EEC IV (4)

I changed the oil to 20w40 i think, pretty sure it was that, when I had it running.
So I'll step up to 20w50 this time.

Yes you did warn me about oil spilage, but then my driveway already has quite a nice coating, so I wasnt worried about it.
Plenty of degreaser floating round.

Tried degreasing the engine and box, guess I just have to spray, rinse, repeat for a bit.
Maybe scrape the worst off first.

MRJLB84D, been considering LPG too.
But, need cash for the kit, cert.
And I dont want to do it without upping the compression a bit.

Didnt get the chance to do a trial fit.
But I did a quick measure, looks like the C4 should slot right into the old gearbox mounting holes.
Replace one mount, and away I go!

And I'm still cleaning the crap off the engine and box, the C4 is the worst though, absolutly caked in crap.

And I might clean up the engine bay first too

Been looking at the XF floorpan where the floor shifter goes through and thinking it might be a good idea to jigsaw the hump out of the XF and fit it into the ZD to have a floor shift and the late model console with the storage box and A/C ducts for the rear seat - need to check out what is available in aftermarket AC Evap units that might work in with that...

XA-C have the same hump but it is a bolt in. if you can get one it will be easier than cutting out the xf hump.

the best thing i've found for cleaning motors is a light acid, a decent degreaser and a pressure washer.

XA-C have the same hump but it is a bolt in. if you can get one it will be easier than cutting out the xf hump.

Damn, I just spent the afternoon, cutting the XF hump out....

with a bloody screw driver and hammer!

Had a drill, but no drill bits, grinder, but no grinding disks, hacksaw, but no hacksaw blade...
I hammered the screwdriver through the metal around the hump!
Nutz!

the best thing i've found for cleaning motors is a light acid, a decent degreaser and a pressure washer.

Getting there, gonna pull out my wirebrush tomorrow.
A steam cleaner would be very handy about now!

Oh and MRJLB84D, those photocopies would be extremly handy thanks!
The EGR and wiring sections.

2nd.gunman":32b88ptk said:
I've got one of those - the XF bit is much nicer - I reckon it will be real easy to get out with a jigsaw...

LukeNukem":1ncjjihv said:
But I did a quick measure, looks like the C4 should slot right into the old gearbox mounting holes.
are you sure it's a C4?
which side of the box is the shifter on?

ZC-Cruiser":1pfc3gv6 said:
LukeNukem":1pfc3gv6 said:
are you sure it's a C4?
which side of the box is the shifter on?

Actualy, Im not sure.
Its on the right side...
What are the casting numbers?

Oh and the XF hump, just drill the spotwelds out and it falls off!

Back