250 xflow into XA Falcon?

There is no easy way to convert from a vane airflow meter to a map sensor. Very soon I will be putting a megasquirt box on my car - should be interesting! It has a map sensor and replaces all of the original eec4 electronics. Some say an ea efi setup could work - I am not convinced, nor am I willing to damage my good (and only) motor finding out.

DYNOED250 enjoys his 4.1 Cortina with an EA multi point plenumb. Yeah, its got an aftermarket computer on it.

I'd say all the early 3.9 to 4.0 EFI Multi before AU can swap over onto an X-flow witb a little work on the existing XE/XF intake rail, but the Megasquirt looks like a much better bet for 225 US bucks and a truckload of follow-up!

Needs the pinouts... Unless you can remember the convention for those 8-legged things! A second circuit could be hooked into a kill switch with time delay. After a few minutes running, the motor shuts off and it registers fuel empty on the gauge. :eek:

addo":3w000sqd said:
Needs the pinouts... Unless you can remember the convention for those 8-legged things! A second circuit could be hooked into a kill switch with time delay. After a few minutes running, the motor shuts off and it registers fuel empty on the gauge. :eek:

http://www.national.com/ds.cgi/LM/LM158.pdf
http://www.national.com/ds.cgi/LM/LM317L.pdf

Those two docs have the pinouts for the two ICs

The Op Amp on the right is an LM358 (which is covered in the LM158 PDF)

Also, the guy who drew this for me says:

"If you need damping, add an RC section with a voltage follower (made
with unused amp) between sender and the 30K resistor. 100K
series and 10uF shunt to ground would give a 1-sec time constant,
etc.

A voltage follower is just an amp with the input going to the + input
and the - input connected to the output. "

That would be to stop the gauge fluctuation directly with the fuel sloshing around in the tank - I think I'll try it without first...

Some interesting stuff here about damping:
http://www.nls.net/mp/volks/htm/fuel_ga.htm

Op-amps are a real blast from the past for me. Last time I soldered one up was about 1986 when we all (schoolmates) made these AWFUL preamps for our electric guitars.

A circuit like you want to use would be hard to bugger up unless your iron has DC at the tip.

addo":2jr3cvgd said:
A circuit like you want to use would be hard to bugger up unless your iron has DC at the tip.
I spent 20 years with Telecom/Telstra/NDC building telephone exchanges and radio systems - I think I'll be OK soldering it up :)

ZC-Cruiser":1zv8ejwo said:
addo":1zv8ejwo said:
I spent 20 years with Telecom/Telstra/NDC building telephone exchanges and radio systems - I think I'll be OK soldering it up :)

Just dont stick it in your eye by accident like I did once upon a time! :unsure:

LukeNukem":18mth9i0 said:
Just dont stick it in your eye by accident like I did once upon a time! :unsure:
Always wear safety glasses while soldering - ALWAYS!!!

I am a many times member of the Owl club (Those wise enough to have been wearing glasses when a solder splash would have otherwise hit their eye)

I stuck the soldering irons tip in my eye... No splashing..

Dont ask me how....

LukeNukem":2jwvrzs8 said:
I stuck the soldering irons tip in my eye... No splashing..

Dont ask me how....
Now THAT is funny!! :)

I must confess to having once burned the tip of my nose...

I once swiped to catch mine as it rolled off the bench. Naturally, Murphy let me grab the barrel - not the handle. :shock:

Solder on the glasses here, too.

addo":1nj2q7hy said:
I once swiped to catch mine as it rolled off the bench. Naturally, Murphy let me grab the barrel - not the handle. :shock:
But wouldn't the iron have been resting safely in your soldering iron holder?? :)

That was pre-Weller. :LOL: To make matters worse, it was a 240V unit plugged into a dropper and just resting on the bench.

Do you know any lineys, BTW? I need a couple of special gel-filled connectors...

addo":5fubl1x9 said:
That was pre-Weller. :LOL: To make matters worse, it was a 240V unit plugged into a dropper and just resting on the bench.

Do you know any lineys, BTW? I need a couple of special gel-filled connectors...
I know heaps of lineys - mostly radio lineys tho' (riggers)

What sort of connectors do you need?

A couple of three-way butt splice connectors (3M brand). They look a bit like a 10mm trimpot; think translucent red in colour. Due to the orientation/height, they need to be the gel-filled type. It's for star wiring some phone cables.

Naturally, I was offered a box of 1000... :roll:

ZC-Cruiser, how are you going with the conversion?
I havnt had time to do anything on mine, helping my mum do up her house, gonna take another 3 weeks to finish that.

LukeNukem":pr3nnefc said:
ZC-Cruiser, how are you going with the conversion?
I havnt had time to do anything on mine, helping my mum do up her house, gonna take another 3 weeks to finish that.
Good - just putting all the best accessories on the engine - 60A Alternator - reduction gear starter.

Also, will probably do a timing chain - I may do that in the car since the radiator isn't in yet...

Welsh plugs need doing too - few things are easier to do with the engine out...

Looks like this:
new pics belowI'd say it is going to fit nicely - have to mount the dash module at a different angle, but it'll be pretty easy...

Wow. Could play Duke Nukem on that thing.

Great mods, Captain ZC Cruiser. May the EMF be with you! ;)

Back