300 efi maf

donald_harby

I have been looking at the wiring diagrams for different vehicals and I am wondering if anyone has tried this. Use a computer off of a taurus, sable, or continental 3.8l looks like any year with a vin code 4 is maf-sfi. Then make a engine harness for the sfi and run something like a 5.0 mass flow meter. The computer should be adaptive and run well with many engine mods such as cam and head work.

Would like to hear any thoughts. I am off to the junk yard this afternoon for parts. If I can find all the pieces I may start on the harness soon.

I don't see why it won't work.

The intake pulses are timed to suit a short stroke V6, with less inertia, and a practical maximum of 5800 rpm, not the 4500 rpm likely with the 300. The V6 woulds have an aggressive spark curve compared to the truck. The early 3.8's ran Thin Film Ignition, with external EEC run look-up table advance.

I'm not quite sure how the efi will react to the failure of the engine sensors to respond to the MAF sensor the way it expects. On the EEC system, the values of the MAF verses TPS govern all other aspects of pulse width and if your 300 engine tells the Electronic control module that there is no response to further fuel delievery at 4000 rpm, then it may trigger the limp home mode control.

Like most electronic set-ups, if you can emulate the stock set-up the electronic control system needs to operate, you can make many changes without being a systems guru.

(I looked at your web site. Great thesis, man! Kiwis are doing some foundational work on the meat industry for optimisation. Minimising cut to waste, etc.

Over here, we have a system where jpegs are taken of the cuts of meat, and a simple 'simpson rule' or RMS test is done of the areas of meat to fat, thus allowing process control via computer. My back ground is a mixture of factory process control [white ware goods], and random verifiaction process control [ roading contracting, earth and granular fill, and defect detection].)

At the Yard today, looking for parts from 91-94 Boxy Explorers.

Had this idea for awhile,

Running a 4.0 MAF-DIS engine computer and harness on a Big Six.
Not planning on doing this myself, but just a thought.
For some reason, I think the 4.0 has bank injection though...
Also has Distributorless Ignition.

I look at the fact that there are lots of junked Expy's these days.
Also Aerostar's.

One primary concern is the 4.0 computer uses a crankshaft position sensor that would have to be melded over properly.

-J-R-

Go to 30-35 lbs injector to match the increase fuel needs and adjustable fuel pressure regulator to fine tune.

??? Wasn't the pre '92 3.8 V-6 MAS/SEFI before computer controlled ignition???

Back