300 MegaSquirt project

dzertracer

Here is the start of my Megasquirt project. The plan is to upgrade my 1987 F-150, Factory EFI 300 to a Megasquirt MS-1 3.0 controlling fuel and spark. I also changed out the stock 14# injectors to 19# and an adjustable fuel pressure regulator. For those interested you can check out the build up and specs of my 300 in the 300 forum under "my new 300 baby build".

The new 19# injectors and adjustable FPR. Notice the black piece holding down the FPR. The original mounting holes don't work with the Mustang FPR. I made a steel plate to sit on top of the regulator and clamp down. It uses the three factory threaded holes with 1 1/2 long allen screws.

truckrebuild007.jpg

truckrebuild005.jpg

My new yellow top injectors installed with the FPR.

truckrebuild006.jpg

I finished putting the intake manifold and everything else back together tonight. What a PITA it is just to change out the injectors!

Tomorrow I will install the MegaSquirt and the custom harness into the truck.

On the left is a Ford computer, with the computer board removed, a new adapter board installed and connected to a custom wire harness. This allows the MS to plug into the factory wiring. No hacking up the factory wire harness! The small green computer board in the middle is a testing board that plugs into the MS. The black box on the right is the MegaSquirt computer (insert Angels singing).

MScomponents.jpg

I have also installed a Innovate LC-1 wideband 02 sensor with a digital gauge mounted in the cab. No pics yet. This will greatly improve the time it will take to program the MS.

My main goal is to get the motor running perfect. The factory computer has always had problems with the idle, and top end. Good enough to drive everyday, but not perfect.

I am also hoping to get the truck to pass CA SMOG. I failed NOX last year. With the MS I have to capability to change everything! Spark and fuel changes are all done with my laptop inside the truck.

I will keep you updated.

You might like to look at the twin squirt pencil injectors as used on the Falcon six:

0280155844Injector.jpg

I have been running a Megasquirt for more than 2 years on my falcon (efi 250 crossflow). It runs as well or as rubbish as I like! Much better than standard. About 6 months ago I dumped tfi over the side and went EDIS - much better again!

You will not regret going the a MS box!

Kendall.

PS. see photos of my setup elsewhere on this forum..

Looks good.

Tips from when I did my project:
-If it does not start and stay running after a few attempts check all your sensor readings especially TACH, and MAP. Any noise (spikes) on the TACH will make a mess out of things. Run a datalog of your attempts if you dont see the problem post them on the MS board and Im betting someone else will able to see the problem.

-Ignore the wideband readings at first and just go by sound and feel. When you are way off and getting misfires you dont get a good reading. If it sounds good it will be close and you then can start reading the wideband.

-Dont worry about warmup till you have it running fairly well otherwise. Once you have it running and idling well tweaking the warmup will be easy.

Well today it rained all day. I decided to wait on the MS install. Instead I tried to fire up the motor with just the new injectors and FPR. The motor just cranked, not even trying to start. I pulled the number one plug to see if it was flooded, but it didn't look wet. Now I need to trouble shoot for fuel and spark.

I will let you know what I find.

I have fuel and spark. The plugs are not wet, but they smell like fresh gas. Maybe the new injectors are putting out too much fuel and fouling the plugs? Time for some new plugs. This is not the way I want to start off my big project. :cry:

What is the fuel pressure running at? I would think it should start with the 14-19 change but if you have a lot more fuel pressure you may be pushing it but I would think you would have got a few pops.

Good point. I haven't really played with the fuel pressure yet. I would hope the FPR came set at a decent level. Now that I checked my guage, the fuel pressure is at 58-59lbs during key on, engine off. I read that the 19# injectors should be around 42-45lbs. I'll try adjusting the FPR with the engine off.

Well I tried turning the adjusting screw in 1 turn, cranked the motor and the fuel pressure gauge still reads 58-59. I screw the adjuster another half turn in and crank the motor. Gauge still reads 58-59lbs. The directions for the FPR suck. No mention of which way to adjust the screw.

I called CraneCams and asked a tech guy which way the adjustments work. He had no idea. My next try will be counter-clockwise adjustments.

Two things - firstly a fuel pressure gauge will tell you where it's heading with the supply pressure.

Secondly - I wonder if the timing is way off. If you squirt some fresh fuel from a squeezy bottle into the manifold, it should at least cough and run for a few seconds.

Really, if you think about it - counter clockwise is the only way it can work.

Unless it is some weird configuration I guess.

dzertracer":ip0wtw6g said:
I called CraneCams and asked a tech guy which way the adjustments work. He had no idea. My next try will be counter-clockwise adjustments.

I can tell you if that one is the same as the ones made for the 302/5.0L v8s then conter clockwise is lower on pressure. Is that one part# 99471-1 for a late 302/5.0L stang ? If so I am not sure what kind of pressure you might get as I am sure you know they run much lower pressure than the 300 does.

dzertracer":o0q630pg said:
Well I tried turning the adjusting screw in 1 turn, cranked the motor and the fuel pressure gauge still reads 58-59. I screw the adjuster another half turn in and crank the motor. Gauge still reads 58-59lbs. The directions for the FPR suck. No mention of which way to adjust the screw.

The pressure is not going to be a big deal. Even if it's ~60 psi it only equates to an increase of 15% flow over the 45 psi which can easily be adjusted in your constants table.

I would suggest you set the O2 loop (gamma correction) to come on at 500 rpm, that way you will take the fueling out of the problem equation

Thanks I figured I could adjust the fuel settings with MS. However, MS is not installed yet. I am still running the factory ECU. I just wanted the truck to start and run on its own with the new 19# injectors and FPR. Using the LC-1 I was going to datalog a run and compare it to the 14# injectors and stock FPR. Then I was going to install the MS. This way I could compare all three combos.

On Wednesday I will try adjusting the FPR again and probably throw in a new set of sparkplugs.

Well I am still trying to get the truck to start! I changed the plugs and lowered the fuel pressure by turning the FPR counter-clockwise. The motor did "pop" a few times when the fuel pressure was around 43 lbs Even at 43 lbs the plugs were soaked with fuel. I lowered the pressure to around 30 lbs and I will try to start the truck tomorrow.

Here is a thought. What impedence are the factory fuel injectors? I believe they are high impedence. The 19# injectors I have are high impedence, 14.6 ohm's. Maybe the factory ECU is confused?

I also did a quick fuel injector calculator online. With the factory 14# injectors and 55 lbs they flow 147.14 cc/min. A 19# injector at 30 lbs flows 147.48 cc/min. At 43 lbs they flow 176.56 cc/min.

If the truck doesn't fire with 30 lbs I am going to forget about the stock computer and just install the MS.

Well, I give up on trying to get the truck to start with the stock computer. The fuel pressure is as low as I can get it, 30 lbs. The motor sounds like it is trying to start, but never will. The plugs just get soaked with fuel.

Next week I will hook up the MS and see how it goes. :cry:

Well, if you can't start it w/ the stock comp... I doubt you will be able to w/ the MS.

Are you getting spark?

Back