Build Thread Pre 1996 EEC-IV EFI MAP Tuning Discussion - QuarterHorse & TunerPro RT

fofaster

Hey everyone,

I wanted to kick off a new thread to share details about my build and start a discussion on performance tuning for EEC-IV on OBD1 MAP ECMs. I'm hoping this can become a valuable resource for anyone searching for info in the future.

So, I've got a "1995 Ford F-150, 1/2 ton, 2WD, 4.9L MFI OHV 6-cylinder" as AutoZone would put it. Here in Texas, it's considered a classic, so I'm not bound by emissions standards. My goal is to tune a simplified EFI setup without mechanical or electronic emissions. EDIT: EFI is tuned and also accounting for hotter spark, more fuel and more air. Going to start adding some more bolt ons now.

I've heard good things about MegaSquirt and Tweecer for tuning, but after digging around here, I've realized that the Ford EEC-IV is highly programmable. I have a QuarterHorse and I am using TunerPro RT to work with my ECM. Does anyone have any files or tunes they can share for pre 96 4.9l engines that they have cleaned up pretty good?

Also, I'm really curious about the crossflow heads and performance intakes some of you are working on. I'm not aiming for a PowerNation build, but I love working on my 300 and want to make it more powerful and unique. I think it would be a great adition to this community if we could document an easy process of tuning ese ECM's in such a way that things like 5.0 TB's or simple non-intercooled boost setups could be bolted on and emissions/EGR's/thermactors can actually be removed with the ECM accounting for it.

There seem to be quite a few challenges when it comes to performance tuning these old beasts. Let's talk about it!

Last edited:
QH comes in on Tuesday. Going to start with TunerPro RT and if I can’t tune out the emissions with that I’ll bite the bullet and buy the BE and EA licenses

Last edited:
Yes fully tunable for sure, I surprised how many guys throw away the stock system. I use tunerpro exclusively. What trans are you using? I have broken out a Speed Density 4.9 strategy that is fully tunable. It is ready to go if you have a manual trans.

I recently built a 93 f150 5.8l and tuned it with a tfs1 cam.

Good info at efidynotuning.com

Last edited:
I am running the M5OD-R2 5spd, getting the chip in the mail today so I am going to be setting up TunerPro now. Going to play around with this and maybe try and see if I can build a mild non intercooled turbo setup for the OEM EFI. That's down the road, for now I just want to detune emissions checks and functions so the engine runs a little more efficiently.

I've since read and learned a bit more about these chips and computers since I originally posted this.

That's awesome! I've actually found the factory 93 ford map sensor will read boost. There are some tweaks you have to make to the code to allow it to read more than one atmosphere, but that's pretty well documented here. There's a bit of trial and error you can skip over, but there's some good bits in here.

I'd be glad to help you as you would be the first one to test boost utilizing MAP with the factory system.

It's super simple to turn off EGR and the thermactor system. If you can figure out how to dump the factory bin I can just shut those off for you.

Issue I'm actually having right now is to getting datalogging accurate and correct for the TPS and RPM's

RPM's read and don't update at 3100 and TPS doesn't log anything.

I'm still trying to wrap my head around some of the concepts with TunerPro but I don't understand how to get these proper at the moment. I have put out feelers to a couple people so if I can't figure this out hopefully someone else knows.

1716331488083.png

I did originally try the ADX from EFI Dyno, I tried both of those and I also got the zip downloaded from the Stock ECU Tuning stickied to this EFI category comment #18 https://fordsix.com/threads/stock-ecu-tuning.82060/post-644724
The two from EFI Dyno basically are the same and the one for the 4.9 is a little more refined. The EFI Dyno files didn't have any RPM output on the dash but the 4.9l specific on I downloaded from here did; it just doesn't update nor is it accurate.

I have a reman ECU I honestly can't remember but if I'm understanding my research right the pre 96' models are the SD2xx codes which is MAP and the SD4xx code are for 96-early 97 california emissions trucks with MAF idk I might be wrong about that.

Starting to think I might need to look closer into my code 213 SPOUT CIRCUIT OPEN. My circuit is responsive to dynamic timing changes when connected. About to unpeel the harness and look for corrosion after I do some continuity checks from the service manual

Attachments

• Error_Code_213_1993.pdf
    52.8 KB · Views: 2
  • Timing_4.0_5.0_6.0.pdf
    44.1 KB · Views: 2
So the adx file from EFI dyno is set up only for the A1C catch code. I posted an adx for J1x as well, but you would have to run that code on your quarter horse in order for the parameters to match correctly. The catch code on your ECU looks something like the attached (Three or four large bold characters).

Without a significant amount of work, you'll have to run j1x. A1c needs a lot of work to run an inline 6 so I'd recommend you use j1x.

SD4x is a newer revision used for '90s speed density and Sd2x is an older revision from the late '80s

Last edited:
Oh wait yes, I am currently working the three files you uploaded in 2021, sorry didn't notice the username! Do you remember if you ever got the TACH or TPS to work on the dashboard?

Okay cool. If your engine is stock, you should run the factory ve table without the extended VE patch. My engine is somewhat modified so not sure how accurate it would be for a stock engine especially since what I posted was with 80 lb injectors.

Let me see if I can find a newer adx
I am using the only one I believe that one could be, if you have one that'd be awesome, other wise maybe you can point me in the right direction so I can fix the read out myself? Just wanted to try and get a clean setup out there for people searching this in 2024
1716346546652.png

Back