Build Thread Pre 1996 EEC-IV EFI MAP Tuning Discussion - QuarterHorse & TunerPro RT

i saved the data i was working with but I'm a little confused. Can these values be over 1? Is this what you meant by you comment with the 80lb injector table? This doesn't seem right haha but I can't tell you why!

1716393189920.png

Okay I am going to run with this table and record a log and we can go from there. Hope I'm doing this right! 1716393549261.png

This looks great. Values less than 1 are showing the ECU removing excess fuel (rich in that cell) . Values greater than one are showing fuel being added (lean in that cell). Ideally, you always want the ECU adding a slight amount vs pulling fuel out. An ideal target is 1.02-1.04 (2-4% leaner than stoich) for the best fuel economy and throttle response.

The VE automation excel file automates the process of updating the VE Table but you need to get saine values in the RPM colums by adjusting EXT_FN070 first. If needed you can also edit the history table logging to make sure you have columns that exactly match your RPM columns in the VE table. Send screenshots of your completed VE table and Histogram and I will send the matching excel file.

This looks great. Values less than 1 are showing the ECU removing excess fuel (rich in that cell) . Values greater than one are showing fuel being added (lean in that cell). Ideally, you always want the ECU adding a slight amount vs pulling fuel out. An ideal target is 1.02-1.04 (2-4% leaner than stoich) for the best fuel economy and throttle response.

The VE automation excel file automates the process of updating the VE Table but you need to get saine values in the RPM colums by adjusting EXT_FN070 first. If needed you can also edit the history table logging to make sure you have columns that exactly match your RPM columns in the VE table. Send screenshots of your completed VE table and Histogram and I will send the matching excel file.
Sorry for the dum question but when you say 'completed' you just mean get the rpms corrected up top to correlate with a histogram record?

EXT_FN070 defines the RPM columns of the extended VE table. You want easy to read values in there so something like this.

EXT_FN070.png

It is basically saying column 0 is 500 RPM and columm 14 is 4000RPM. The computer divides up the difference equally to calculate the undefined columns { (4000-500)/14 = 250RPM } and you end up with these columns: 500,750,1000,1250,1500,1750,2000,2250,2500,2750,3000,3250,3500,3750,4000

You can get really granular if needed but unless you have strange airflow characteristics using a linear model usually works pretty good. Since you are running a stock setup you can use the stock VE table as a guide. This is your engine so you can do whatever you want :)

Once you have this were you want it you want to make sure you are logging those exact RPM values in the histogram. Ideally, you want unused rpm ranges in between to more accurately log the desired ones. You can step in between or log 50 RPM before and after the desired RPM:

375,500,625,750,875,1000,1125,1250... - Logging in between

or

450,500,550,700,750,800,950,1000.... - Logging 50rpm before and after (more precise)

I fixed the PFEHP (EGR Hardware Present) so you can properly shut it off. I also added Thermactor and Power Steering pressure switch hardware controls.

Attachments

• SD40A_J1X_4.9L_05222024 XDF.zip
    248.2 KB · Views: 2
Awesome! I have to turn attention to my real job for a few hours but I should have this set up today/tonight and posted back on here.
Thanks so much man I would not be this far along without your help!

Okay so my engine should never be idling below 750. I think these are good columns for the VE table, they represent RPM's I often find myself in. I don't think I understands how to change the values of the histograms columns though and I am struggling to math correctly to get the VE to match it.

1716401055460.png

Alright alright alright! Here's what I got for ya. I did the best I could to get every cell filled but you can see that I don't actually like going that high in RPM. 5k really is about the threshold for these motors and 4250 is absolutely 'redlining' I only got to about 4k RPM's in 3rd gear hammering down the freeway at almost 90MPH
1716403795636.png1716403761117.png

Attachments

• more adjustments.zip
    486.5 KB · Views: 2
There was a point on this trip when I got off the freeway and was pulling into a large gas station and I was accelerating without throttle in first. Felt EXACTLY like when I bought a new IAC valve and it sped the engine RPM's to 2k at idle. But then it stopped, not sure man I uploaded the entire drive data, probably about 10-14mins in or so, it was right after I was doing low RPM low MAP readings in OD at about 55-60mph

Just so people have an idea of the old VE table vs what is currently running. I think that's what this photo shows.

1716406826908.png

Here is the first round of VE updates. You did not capture many samples above 3000 RPM but I updated them anyway:

VE2.png

Here is what I meant for the histogram. You want to capture more data so it is more accurate:

Histogram Updated.png

I included the VE automation file set up for your engine as well as updated bin and adx.

Attachments

• SD40A-J1X-4.9L-Stock VE2.zip
    86.2 KB · Views: 1
Back