Cooling fans - electric or mech?

I presently have a 180* in mine and that just lets the water flow at a lower temp for cooling. I am not using the fan and have it removed and are using the elect. fan in between my radiator and condenser for my AC. It has the plug that goes in the fins of the radiator and is settable for what ever temp you want it to come on and off. I am having no problems with that type of set up. I am also using an aluminum radiator the three row type. It gives better cooling at a faster rate and to keep the temp down. Hope this helps but every condition is different. Trying different options on yours could have better success.,

Williboy":3o9t9t8c said:
Here's my million dollar question... What is better a capillary tube in the radiator or a thread in sensor in the block??? I recently tried out a 195* thermostat and it seems to keep a better stable temperature. But I need a new aux fan control. ( I currently have have a 185*)

I think the block (or in my case the T-stat housing unit) is a better temp source since it measures the engine temp and not the rad temp. When the car sits (while not running) for a while the block gets hotter than the rad sine there is not coolant flow the rad is cool, and the switch may not trigger if on the rad. Maybe just a theoretical concern but that's why I have mine in my T-stat housing.

Good Luck

That's kinda how I feel. Right now I have my aftermarket gauge in the block and my fan sensor in the t-stat housing. Since now I'm running a 195* t-stat and have a 200* fan sensor, the aux fan always wants to run. Since the elect fan is only an auxiliary, I could hook up an adj rad tube sensor and reinstall my stock gauge. Or just keep an eye on the gauge and manually turn on the elect fan as needed. I haven't ran the car in the hot summer since I recently installed the new 195* t-stat to see how hot it can get.

To each and there own. It is a personal preference to where you have yours. I used some of the aftermarket gauges in mine and after I had them checked they each were atleast 20Deg. off or reading to high. I tried every price range in the auto parts store and they all were the same or within 10 deg.s I am going by what the dash gauge tells me now. I also tried it on the back of my engine where it is supposedly set up by Ford. I also tried it at the thermostat housing and all the same. The dash gauge is set into the rear of the block and thats what I am going by, but my elect fan is from the radiator bottom. Hope we both neither have problems.

Back