Ditching Load-o-matic setup

Thanks y'all,
Doug - I've got loads of questions for you. I found this conversion kit:
http://www.cliffordperformance.net/Merc ... _Code=F200
Is this similar to how you did yours?

How does the elctronic choke hook up? Do I need to upgrade of other componenets (voltage regulator, alternator, etc.) to accomodate it?
How did you hook up the throttle linkage? Did you convert to a cable?
Does this setup accomodate the stock air cleaner (hood clearance, mounting, etc)?
The $600 price tag in the link above seem pretty steep. Is that a good price?

For all the other posters - thanks for the tips. I'll definitely be checking the all out.

Thanks again!
Jason

:beer: Hi Texas-ag.The choke wire hooks up to the STATOR lug on the back of the aternator.
Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
Leo

CZLN6":2kpf0zgq said:
Don't forget the Autolite 1101 carb from a 1969 Mustang with the 250 engine. This carb is identical to the 1100 in appearance, but has no SCV and is compatible with either the '68 -'69 non-SCV, point type distributor... THese carbs are getting scarce. If you're scoring one from a parts house as a rebuilt/remanufactured be sure to check the throttle bore to be 1 11/16" to ID it. An 1100 Tbore would measure 1 5/8".

Good Day All! I hope all are having a pleasant one. I just found this post... I'm sort of doing the same bit as the author and I have some questions that I hope will benefit him as well as others. I like the 1101 change the best... bang for the buck, ease of modification/de-modification. Can setup a '68 distributor with an electronic points eliminator kit from whoever, and keep the old LOM in the shop as an emergency backup, or for later resto to original. I'm believing that the '68 Distributor is a direct bolt in modification. I have no clue about the curve thing, what it is, nor what to do with it. I have to do some research on that issue.

I haven't been able to find an 1101. Why are they so hard to find?! Didn't they make about a bazillion cars, trucks, etc... equipped with them?! Are there any other physical differences between the 1100 and the 1101? If I was shopping on Ebay, I'd like to be able to identify the 1101 by it's external physical characteristics by just looking at the photos. Is it certain that All the 1101's will be without the SCV? I'm thinking that maybe some of the 1100's I'm seeing there, might really be 1101's. Most of the sellers don't seem to want to commit to any specs, and will just say in so many words, usually very politely "sorry, can't help you there, look at the pics and judge for yourself". Some listings just have short descriptions like "Ford 1 Barrel Carburetor"... or they'll be mis-identified altogether.

Also, I believe the 1100 is somewhat married to the LOM... but can the 1101 work properly, emphasis on "Properly", with the LOM... or does the 1101 have to be matched with the '69 & UP distributors? Also will the 1101 work Properly with the '68 distributor?

Specs for my car: 1964 Comet 404, 4 Dr. Sedan, L6/200/3.3, Autolite 1100 1v Carb., LOM Dist. 5/16" Shaft, Automatic, Pwr. Drum Brakes w/dual master cyl., Man. Steering, P195/75R14, 62K Orig. Miles, Generator to Alternator Conversion, Raven Black w/Red Interior, Built in Canada. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eHTV-co5JV0

Happy Holidays!

I remember reading in the Falcon Performance Manual about the 1100 and 1101 specs. Seems like there is photos also, don't have my copy with me. I think there is info on classicinlines.com in the tech section also.

bmbm40":boqi2hvs said:
I remember reading in the Falcon Performance Manual about the 1100 and 1101 specs. Seems like there is photos also, don't have my copy with me. I think there is info on classicinlines.com in the tech section also.

I read the stuff over at CI. They really do a great job explaining the operation of the 1100 with the Spartk Control Valve and their close relationship to the Load-O-Matic distributor. There's not enough said about the 1101 to develope a clear "picture" of all the differences. I was told the 1101 didn't have a SCV, but then I see a carb said to be an 1101, and it has an SCV. I was told it had a smaller choke housing, and, if you're looking at the carb from the "front", or the side where the SCV would be, the choke housing would be mounted toward the left, rear, top. Of course the throttle bore size is the best way to know, but I'd like to be able to just look at one, and know. Because, you can't go by strictly what sellers tell you. It's not like anyone's trying to cheat anyone, there are some that just don't know, think they know, are just guessing, were misinformed, etc... and some don't have or don't know how to use digital calipers... or don't know what a throttle bore is... some of the listings are, for us gearhead geeks, hysterical funny.

If one is looking for an 1101... one may be able to find one easier, and/or get a great deal on one if the seller doesn't know what they have... until I know for sure... at this point, I could easily be one of those not-knowing sellers... jeeze! and so too, I don't want to end up with a pile of 1101 imposters...

I would like to definitively collect information about the 1100 and the 1101, end all the rumours, and draw a side by side picture, so to speak, of the two... Wouldn't it be nice to have a poster of sorts kinda like that, with the 1100 on one side with a clearly spelled out physical description, along with it's features, and characteristics, including some photos, and a breakdown diagram, and maybe even a little hystorical/biographical data, and then the same for the 1101 on the other side. Isn't there a book writer in this post somewhere who can maybe arrange for such a thing?

...which reminds me, and thanks for reminding me... I gotta go order a copy of that Falcon Book... I hope I don't get an imposter...

Pg 28 of Falcon book ( U gotta get one)
The 1101 was first used on the 223 (Big Ford) Six in 1962-63 so it had an SCV back then.
It was then used in 1969 in the 250 Small Six but with no SCV.
So The 1101 could have an SCV or no SCV.
Big hint it its a 1-11/16 throttle bore (same size as a 780 Holley etc)

The 1100 is a 1-7/16 throttle, looks tiny in comparison, photo in the Falcon book.

WerbyFord":ghdy0936 said:
Pg 28 of Falcon book ( U gotta get one)
The 1101 was first used on the 223 (Big Ford) Six in 1962-63 so it had an SCV back then.
It was then used in 1969 in the 250 Small Six but with no SCV.
So The 1101 could have an SCV or no SCV.
Big hint it its a 1-11/16 throttle bore (same size as a 780 Holley etc)
The 1100 is a 1-7/16 throttle, looks tiny in comparison, photo in the Falcon book.

Great Info! I just ordered The Book today. I went through my small pile of Autolite 1100's and found that I have (3) 1101's, one of which has been rebuilt, refinished... and there's one that has an SCV. The choke Mounts are different than the 1100's. Two have vacuum ports near the top of the throttle bore. When I get the chance, I'll take some pics of a side by side comparison and post them.

Back