Help From Those That Have Done the Aussie Head Conversion

addo":395jlwvc said:
The water jacket is to regulate intake temps. Australia does not get very cold; it is a mistake to consider this a carb heater. What it does, is stabilise the operating temperature of your carb/manifold best as possible.

So many guys fail to hook up the water lines for that very reason. They think just because they live in a fair weather climate, or only drive their cars during the summer months, they don't need it.

However, it's ability to cool the intake manifold under normal operating conditions is just as important, if not more so, than its ability to heat the manifold in cold weather start ups. Think about it. The intake manifold sits directly over the exhaust headers. While the water temp is normally 160-200 degrees, this is consideralby cooler than the 1400-1600 degree heat coming off the headers.

PS: For those looking for an OZ head, I just listed one on E-bay.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... 0284724210
It can be purchased as is, or I will rebuild the head according to the purchasers specs, including oversized valves, springs, vitron seals, etc. I can also have the intake manifold ceramic coated by Jet-Hot for a great price.

It´s a petty that you guys in the US/australia won´t ship inline stuff to my country, Sweden..I looked at the OZ head AZCoupe listed on E-Bay.."ships to: united states".

I mailed AZCoupe last year about the new head, cam and other stuff to my 250, and if it´s possible to ship it to Sweden..no answer yet...

Over here it´s hard to find parts for ford inlines, but V8 are plenty here..guess I have to go that way if I want more power later on..

I read somewhere on this forum that classicinline will open a place in finland, so people in europe can order stuff from there..what happen with that plan?

Dubbe":14060dcf said:
It´s a petty that you guys in the US/australia won´t ship inline stuff to my country, Sweden..I looked at the OZ head AZCoupe listed on E-Bay.."ships to: united states".

I mailed AZCoupe last year about the new head, cam and other stuff to my 250, and if it´s possible to ship it to Sweden..no answer yet...

Over here it´s hard to find parts for ford inlines, but V8 are plenty here..guess I have to go that way if I want more power later on..

I read somewhere on this forum that classicinline will open a place in finland, so people in europe can order stuff from there..what happen with that plan?

I've been on both sides of your anquish. I tried on three occasions to buy a head from Australia. Once, I tried when I had a friend vacationing in Australia and he agreed to bring one back if I could arrange the purchase. The particular individual I was dealing with on e-Bay would not, under any circumstances, box and deliver the head 30 miles to the hotel or even mail it to the hotel. He said local pick-up only and he meant it. I offered him $100 over and above his gas expense and he still wouldn't do it. Now, that's not typical of Aussie people. It was just my bad timing that Mr. Poopy Pants was the only with an Aussie head setup on e-Bay at the time.

Speaking purely from an individual point of view, it is a lot more trouble to ship to another country than it is to ship in your own country. Even shipping something to Canada from the US requires additional paperwork other than just a shipping label. I've sold parts to my fellow car enthusiasts in Canada and, fortunately, FedEx guides you when you use their online services to prepare shipping labels. The US post office is a great help in getting things shipped to Canada.

The problem in shipping from the US to other countries is not only the extra information and procedures needed to ship, but the money acquisition. I sold an intake manifold to an e-Bay bidder located in Poland. My bank or credit union would not accept a check from Poland, PayPal would not allow him to establish an account, I had no way of accepting credit cards, and Western Union wanted to charge him a fee larger than what he was paying for the manifold. I worked with him and was patient. He e-mailed me and told me he would think of something.

One week later, I received a letter sized envelope from Poland. I opened it up and there was $185 US cash in the envelope. That was the amount needed to pay for the manifold and ship it through the postal service. I was totally surprised it made it to my box because it was obvious the envelope was full of cash. I e-mailed him and told him I had the money. He then sent me instructions on how to complete the paperwork at the post office to keep him from having to pay duty fees, etc. This episode sums why most of us, who are not businesses, do ship overseas.

If I ever sell anything else to someone overseas, we will have to negotiate a fee in addition to shipping and currency charges. It takes more time on my end. To ship in the US, I box it up, do my labels on FedEx or DHL online, and wait for pick-up. The best help to shipping to someone in another country is for that person to be able to tell me exactly what the procedures are and what paperwork (and how to complete it) is needed to get it there.

Dubbe":3nyeiix6 said:
It´s a pitty that you guys in the US and Australia won´t ship inline stuff to my country, Sweden..I looked at the OZ head AZCoupe listed on E-Bay.."ships to: united states".

I ship parts overseas all the time, to Germany, Finland, England, Sweden, France, Spain..... you name it. I'll definitely ship the OZ head to Sweden if your the winning bidder. If it says US only, then that's just a posting error as I don't have much experience listing parts on E-bay. I'll try to clear that up ASAP. ;)

Well, I just PayPaled a gentleman to purchase two new factory gaskets. One is a factory steel head gasket with compressed thickness of .024" and the other is the composite gasket with compressed thickness of .35".

Both will give me my target CR for the build. Now, I just have to get push rods, new head bolts, get my carb rebuilt, install the cam and lifters, install head, intake, and header, and rig up the linkage.

I'm just a little excited.

AzCoupe":1rb88qzh said:
I ship parts overseas all the time, to Germany, Finland, England, Sweden, France, Spain..... you name it. I'll definitely ship the OZ head to Sweden if your the winning bidder. If it says US only, then that's just a posting error as I don't have much experience listing parts on E-bay. I'll try to clear that up ASAP. ;)

Thanks for answer, I´ll return to you when it´s time to buy head and stuff for the 250 :D

Hawkco":149bq1o9 said:
I've been on both sides of your anquish. I tried on three occasions to buy a head from Australia. Once, I tried when I had a friend vacationing in Australia and he agreed to bring one back if I could arrange the purchase. The particular individual I was dealing with on e-Bay would not, under any circumstances, box and deliver the head 30 miles to the hotel or even mail it to the hotel. He said local pick-up only and he meant it. I offered him $100 over and above his gas expense and he still wouldn't do it. Now, that's not typical of Aussie people. It was just my bad timing that Mr. Poopy Pants was the only with an Aussie head setup on e-Bay at the time.

Speaking purely from an individual point of view, it is a lot more trouble to ship to another country than it is to ship in your own country. Even shipping something to Canada from the US requires additional paperwork other than just a shipping label. I've sold parts to my fellow car enthusiasts in Canada and, fortunately, FedEx guides you when you use their online services to prepare shipping labels. The US post office is a great help in getting things shipped to Canada.

The problem in shipping from the US to other countries is not only the extra information and procedures needed to ship, but the money acquisition. I sold an intake manifold to an e-Bay bidder located in Poland. My bank or credit union would not accept a check from Poland, PayPal would not allow him to establish an account, I had no way of accepting credit cards, and Western Union wanted to charge him a fee larger than what he was paying for the manifold. I worked with him and was patient. He e-mailed me and told me he would think of something.

One week later, I received a letter sized envelope from Poland. I opened it up and there was $185 US cash in the envelope. That was the amount needed to pay for the manifold and ship it through the postal service. I was totally surprised it made it to my box because it was obvious the envelope was full of cash. I e-mailed him and told him I had the money. He then sent me instructions on how to complete the paperwork at the post office to keep him from having to pay duty fees, etc. This episode sums why most of us, who are not businesses, do ship overseas.

If I ever sell anything else to someone overseas, we will have to negotiate a fee in addition to shipping and currency charges. It takes more time on my end. To ship in the US, I box it up, do my labels on FedEx or DHL online, and wait for pick-up. The best help to shipping to someone in another country is for that person to be able to tell me exactly what the procedures are and what paperwork (and how to complete it) is needed to get it there.

Hi, and thanks for your input :)
I understand the problems involved to ship overseas, specially for heavy things, like an engine, gearbox but many won´t ship small things either, and that´s a petty. Mike said now that he´s shipping worldwide and that´s good, so I can buy stuff from him later on :D

AzCoupe":3sj3t4va said:
addo":3sj3t4va said:
The water jacket is to regulate intake temps. Australia does not get very cold; it is a mistake to consider this a carb heater. What it does, is stabilise the operating temperature of your carb/manifold best as possible.

So many guys fail to hook up the water lines for that very reason. They think just because they live in a fair weather climate, or only drive their cars during the summer months, they don't need it.

However, it's ability to cool the intake manifold under normal operating conditions is just as important, if not more so, than its ability to heat the manifold in cold weather start ups. Think about it. The intake manifold sits directly over the exhaust headers. While the water temp is normally 160-200 degrees, this is consideralby cooler than the 1400-1600 degree heat coming off the headers.

Here is a question about this though. Even in warmer climates, with the coated headers the intake does not get that hot, at least not from what I've seen. I can drive on a 90* day, in stop and go traffic and I can still pop the hood and lay my hand around the intake base and not burn it. If I was piping 180* coolant in there, I doubt I could do the same.

I understand it as a stabilizer though and allows for more steady state tuning of a carb. Unfortunately, the way I set up my 4V makes it impossible to hook up the coolant lines.

I think that some people might (unintentionally) be running a little "wet" without the water jacket, using latent heat of vaporisation to cool the incoming charge slightly.

GG, it is worth the jiggery-pokery to get happening on a tight engine bay, too - some parts are usually thick enough to carefully thread.

The No.1 reason it's unemployed is ignorance, and people then contrive another explanation.

Got the gaskets in the mail yesterday and they are in excellent shape. I also gt in my Autolite 4100 for rebuilding and customizing this week as well.

Any tips or precautions I need to know on using the steel shim head gasket?

Back