All Small Six hot pink wire

This relates to all small sixes
Not running, my batt currently shows 12.6 Volts; with ignition on (car off), power to coil pos. is 4.5 volts.
Car running, batt shows 14.5 and coil shows 8.8 volts.
4.5 volts is low.
I suspect the pink wire has around 1.5 ohms for the stock coil.
You need a 1 ohm ballast resistor to take advantage of the Inferno coil.
The coil voltage should be about 1/2 the battery voltage with ignition on.

Hi Tim I went looking numerous places including the Davis Unified site for their Coil Specs they had nothing useful hopefully they gave you some of it with the coil when you bought it. So the info is kind of hard to come by, kept looking found most of the useful info on Summit and one other site, X2 I fully agree with pmuller9, after on the last site I did find the 1 Ohm Ballast Resister being recommended by Davis for street use of their Inferno Coil along with their Dyna Module (this is the old MoPar type Module) for use with a Duraspark II Distributor so that should be a good place to start over using the stock Pink Wire Resistor. Davis states "that for street applications, a 1 ohm resistor must be used which will limit maximum rpms to 7000". For strictly racing use and up to 10,000 RPM no Resistor is used. Davis states "The resistor is used as a precautionary measure to protect the coil and module from premature failure on long periods of running time".

Some of the other info I found on the Inferno 31722 Round Canister Coil is 2.50 inches diameter and is made in the USA in Tennessee, Davis states that its suppose to be "a direct upgrade from the original Duraspark II coils". With the above Resistance issue I have questions about that being true. They are suppose to not need the Resistor yet I found one person who said he burned up two of these Inferno Coils first one in a one day of use the second one in two weeks using the stock Pink Wire Resistor Wire. So after again to keep this coil working right I think like pmuller9 that you will need to find the right External 1 Ohm Resistor unit and then disconnect that Pink Wire removing it or running a new wire to the new Resistor. According to Davis the coils Primary Resistance is suppose to be 0.4 to 0.9 ohms when measured with a Volt / Ohm meter. Also make sure that you have some good really grounds from the Battery to the engine block, from the Block to the Chassis, and maybe even an extra one from the Block to the body. Best of luck

Thanks again, gents!
The resistor I bought the other day measures 1.4 ohms. I´m having trouble finding a 1 ohm resistor as most are more. the MSD 8214 measures 0.8 ohms. Would I be better going a bit over or a bit under the 1 ohm suggestion? How will heat affect resistance?

Cheers!
Tim

Thanks again, gents!
The resistor I bought the other day measures 1.4 ohms. I´m having trouble finding a 1 ohm resistor as most are more. the MSD 8214 measures 0.8 ohms. Would I be better going a bit over or a bit under the 1 ohm suggestion? How will heat affect resistance?

Cheers!
Tim
If you want maximum spark energy, use the MSD 8214 (0.8 ohm resistor)
It has the same resistance as the Inferno coil.

Here is a 1 ohm if you want to be a little more conservative.

It is a good idea to mount the ballast resistor on a chunk of metal for a heat sink.

Thanks again, folks. Will get that baby wired in!
Unplug the pink under dash and tape it off well.
Tap into the wire I ran from the ignition to the ICU to run constant voltage thru a new wire to the coil positive, putting the resistor in between. Looks like the MSD unit can be mounted on the top coil bracket bolt using engine as heat sink? could add more bracketry...
Leave the original brown and red/green wires in place to send 12V from solenoid to coil at startup.
How does that sound?

Cheers!
Tim

Back