I know another carb question!

Timnmelinda

I am currently asking oh so many questions, You are all going to be sick of me......But really had several issues hit at once so I am working on replacing the whole driveline once I get the peices all in place.

Well I will probably replace the rear first as mine is getting noisy .
I am replacing/redoing engine/tranny at the same time which only makes sense. So I am in both planning and doing stages at the same time. But I am trying to plan it all out to be a well rounded package.

I am wondering what is the real current preference in two barrel carbs.

I have a webber 32/36 I got from Stovebolt, studied all of the jetting conversations on this site, and went with a guesstimated starting point.

I am trying to decide rather to mount and run this or to go ahead and get a 350 holley to use from the start.

The engine will get a mild cam (Have to see which one Mike says to go with) , As I check the head on my new (used) engine, if it needs redone, I will give it a threeangle valve job, and smooth /clean up ports (I will not attempt to truly port as I do not know what to gring and not grind, I would probably mostly smooth and match to gaskets) I will run my headers and duals with crossover, along with my DUI. Would love the aluminum head from Mike, but with all of the rest, it is not in the cards at least for now.
If the head needs work, I would like to shave it a bit to possibly bump compression a bit, but I do not know how to decide if head has been cut previously or not as well.

I am going to stay with auto trans (will get freshened and shift kit)

I am in another post getting gearing reccomendations talking about increase in gearing to 3.24 3.55 or 3.80 ratio

I am wanting a fun peppier ride, hoping to maintain reliability and hopefully fuel economy (with foot out of it, which will probably eliminate the 3.80 gearing as well )

The main use will be much intown driving, with 20/40 miles of 45/50 mph driving a day commute as well.

There is the outline of my plan, just trying to get a feel for the better carb choice. If I go holley does it also require a change over in linkage?
Is either of these carbs a lower profile than the other? When I had the 32/36 mounted the first time I discovered a need to change linkage it looked like hood clearance was tight. Will the adapter for the 32/36 wok for the 350 or would I also need different adapter?

So both carbs are talked about regularly on this site, has one ever been determined to be a better choice than the other? I realize one is progressive (which in theory sounds like a plus) as the other is not.
Which would be better for my application, or is it a was and players choice?

Well I have always been told there is no thing as a stupid question, I have asked many as of late, so please bare with me, I have always been honest and said I am trying to learn!

Tim

Think about this in different terms.
How long until you want to drive the car?
What is your budget?

The smaller carb is going to be more fuel efficient but several on this site have claimed that the 32/36 is too small for 'real' performance. A direct mount 350cfm carb would be a much better choice, no funnel adapter, potentially shorter installed assembly. But you would have to get the head modified, milled, drilled, ground open to allow this to happen (find posts from Mustang Geezer or the Performance Handbook). So do you have the money for a new/rebuilt carb plus machine shop time and the time to wait for it all to come back and get put together?

I think quite a few people would suggest better spark delivery with your current induction setup before they'd suggest a carb upgrade. Correct me if I'm wrong but last time I checked a Holley 2bbl (new) ran about $350-399.. that's easily a DUI, or DII plus cam, or almost a ceramic coated header.

-ron

i have both ceramic coated header and DUI allready

I have time to be flexible as long as engine in car holds together, rings are bad and slowly getting worse, not only smoking lightly when driving but compression is lowering as well. It is going to keep getting worse I would suspect.

So I got other engine
http://www.fordsix.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=47683

I am going to pull pan and inspect, going to upgrade cam, and will decide what work head neeeds in process

Tim

Use the carb you've got. you can always upgrade it later, that's easy. In the meantime, save you money for the inevitable surprises. 3.25 gearing is a bit weak on acceleration, but great on the highway. 3.55 what a bit short on the highway.

Back