All Small Six Looks like a rear seal leak on my 200

This relates to all small sixes

Mustango

Looks like I have a leak in the rear seal area of my 200. Not a bad leak and I don't put many miles on it so I have some time to consider what to do. What say the 200 cid world. Cleaned it up today and will inspect each week. Thanks in advance for any experience you have on this.

Hi, I would clean the back of the engine and do my best to find the leak. Make sure it is not the valve cover. I would also GENTLY SNUG up the oil pan bolts, don't over tighten them. I have slowed and stopped many leaks because the bolts were not tight enough. Good luck

any experience you have on this.

rear seal leak is a common problem especially if car sat without starting for 'awhile'.
... recently I removed the tranny and bellhouse before discovering the slight 'rear seal' leak was minor rear of Valve Cover - seeping and snaking down rear of engine. :cool:

2nd day look. After a short drive I thought I would check and clean and carefully tightened the pan bolts. Did see a drip at the center of the rear seal when I first got there. Hoping to check this weekly to clean and see the extent of the leaking, pic is cleaned up and ready to go.

I found that the rear oil pan rubber in the last Fel-Pro gasket set I bought was too long. This rubber part was listed on the Fel-Pro box as being made in China. I had another rubber in a Fel-Pro gasket set that I bought years before. This rubber fit perfect. Also one oil pan bolt hole in the gasket on one side did not line up so I used that gasket from the old set.

Update: no leaking from rear seal of the engine. Turns out that it is the transmission pan leaking, at least I'm almost sure. Left the new gasket replacement to a mechanic this time. After reading the threads of the difficulty some have had in replacing them I'll just leave it up to someone else. I did not over tighten them (snugged them up along the way) but it just kept leaking under highway speeds. Used a FelPro with no sealant. I'll find out tomorrow if they will suggest a new pan. Hell the old one is tin for crying out loud. I just might order a new one for the future. Hoping for the best.

Back