lost

I had the mark on the pulley line up with the mark that has TDC beside it and I had the rotor facing the number 1 spark plug and it still back backfiring through the carb and wont start up. Then I change the rotor to be facing the number 6 spark plug on the dizzy and now everything is fine well this is how I had it last time before I broke down. Will I be ok driving it like this and should I still get the dui dist

OK

The point you seem to be missing is that those lines will line up twice for each combustion cycle. Once for combustion and once for exhaust. If you put the distributer in set for number one with the lines lined up on the exhaust line up (stroke) then you will never get the car to run no matter what you do, you will be firing the plug during the exhaust stroke.

We have all been where you are now and then we got it and got our cars running.

You have spent a lot of time on this so try just a few more steps to get this working.

Take the distributer cap off and rotate the crank clockwise slowly while watching the timing mark (white line) on the balancer. It will line up with the TDC line on the timing case cover with the rotor pointed at Number One cylinder plug wire and the number one piston at TDC.

Remove the distributor and rotate the rotor to point at the place on the distributer that corresponds to the cap position for the number six cylinder spark plug wire.

Put the distributer back in the engine, tighten it down reassemble everything and try to start it.

If you've done this right the engine should run. Crappy maybe, no power probably but run it will.

Then you will need to retime the engine by,

First getting a timing light

Next attaching the timing light probe wire to the number one spark plug wire

Then pointing the timing light at the timing marks on the timing case cover and balancer with the engine running

Next rotate the distributer until you get the timing mark on the balancer to line up with the 6 degree mark on the timing case cover.

The engine should then run as well as it can.

Seems like while I was coposing this reply, you tryed what I was suggesting and got it running.

So the next thing is to time the engine and tighten done the distributer hold down.

so its ok for the rotor to be poniting on the number six cylinder spark plug wire on the dizzy.

Stang67":2g4b94ns said:
so its ok for the rotor to be poniting on the number six cylinder spark plug wire on the dizzy.

Yes. The numbers on the dizzy are for convenience and OCD types that like to have everything exactly in place (even if there isn't a good reason for it). The later distributors don't even have any numbers on them. I have no idea what number my #1 spark plug wire is on, I stabbed the dizzy in on TDC and rotated the dizzy around until the points were on the right spot on the lobe. Then I put the #1 wire on the terminal that was in that spot. If it would have been 180 out, I would have moved them to the opposite side. Anyhow, it fired right up, then I fine tuned it with my dwell meter and timing light.

Stang67":3n001t7m said:
...now everything is fine well this is how I had it last time before I broke down. Will I be ok driving it like this and should I still get the dui dist

Should be, but distributors don't go from running fine to out 180* without some help. ;)

Should you get the dui, if you're not comfortable with points, as it appears you are not (ie if things under the distributor cap are not set right, you'll have another poblem) then maybe you should consider it. DUI will give you significant performance improvement and for someone like yourself, it requires less maintenance and is a little more difficult to foul up...check out the info at

http://www.classicinlines.com/proddetai ... D200%2DCIK

Really don't mean any offense here, but don't know you grasp much/most of the educational advice offered here (you can apply yourself and understand it better, or have a no fuss no muss solution with signficant improvement)...and that's a very nice looking ride...not quite as sharp broke down on the side of the road. :p
Good luck

Have you now timed the ignition with a timing light?
Getting the distributor rotor pointed to the right terminal on the distributor cap will just get you in the right zip code and may allow the engine to start. You need to time it with a timing light to get it to start and run properly, and you will be amazed by the change in the power level if the engine is down on power and performance due to poor timing.

But first, did you also confirm that you were at TDC of the #1 cyl using one of the methods described? If you have not, you have not eliminated the possibility that the balancer and the timing mark could have slipped. Odds are the distributor is 180 deg out of phase since it coicides with the #6 cyl.

As has been pointed out, the crankshaft balancer mark will line up with the TDC mark on the timing cover twice for every revolution of the distributor. One time, the engine is at TDC of the exhaust stroke. This is when the rotor would be pointing to the #6 distributor terminal. The other time is at the TDC of the compression stroke and the rotor would point to the #1 terminal.

I would confirm that the rotor is pointing to the #1 terminal with the engine at TDC #1 compression stroke, and go ahead and shift the wires in the distributor cap until they were in the proper configuration. That way if you break down on the road some time and you take it to a mechanic, he won't have to spend the extra time (and your money) figuring out that the distributor wires are not in the correct spot.

To time the vehicle:
Loosen the distributor hold down bolt slightly so the distributor can be rotated.
Disconnect the vacuum hose at the distributor and plug it with a golf tee or something similar.
Hook up the timing light and install the clamp around the #1 spark plug wire.
Start the engine.
Point the timing light at the timing scale and you should see the line on the balancer line up somewhere on the scale of the timing cover. Depending on your car you probably will set it in the 6 to 12 deg range BTDC. Many of us use 12 deg on a stock engine with no problems.
If it is not lining up to your desired timing, slowly rotate the distributor until it does line up.
Tighten the hold down nut on the distributor.
And re-verify that the timing is where you desire to set it. Timing will often change as you tighten down the hold down bolt.
Connect the vacuum hose back up and you should be good to go (or at least in better shape than you were when this thread started ;) )
Let us know if you have any questions.
Doug

I the pic above, what does those timing marks read? Looks like 14 10 8 6 10C. What's 10C? It's even harder to read the numbers on my engine.

Axle Roads":3orgvcex said:
I the pic above, what does those timing marks read? Looks like 14 10 8 6 10C. What's 10C? It's even harder to read the numbers on my engine.
thats tdc

TDC= Top Dead Center, meaning piston is at the top of its stroke

BTDC= Before Top Dead Center, generally this is the number you are looking for, you want the plug to fire before (10 would mean 10 degree of crank rotation before) it gets to the top. This allows time for the burn to complete before the piston travels down. Remember those pistons are travelling pretty fast. Although, I have heard there is one member here, Mr Five Finger Death Punch, AKA ASA, who can snatch pistons out in mid-flight 8) not an easy task! ;)

Ron

Back