No performance upgrades wanted.

A

Anonymous

Currently I get a little blue exhaust after sitting at idle for a few minutes and have some hesitation on acceleration with some flat spots.
The engine has about 130k miles on it.
I would like to have some work done on the engine to get it running in like new condition. What is the best way of accomplishing this, and what would the cost be?

8) rebuild the carb and check the ignition system, should take care of the rest.

Blue is usually oil, black unburnt gas, and white well let's just not go there. Sounds like she is burning some oil. There are two places it's most likely going to come from. Pistons rings or valves. With 130k it may just be time for a rebuild. Hone the cylinders, new pistons and rings. Have the valves cleaned up and ground down to remove the pits on the valves and seats have the guides replaced and she will be running like new. rbohm had a good suggestion. Have the carb rebuilt while all this is going on. Cost soley depends on whether you do it yourself or if you have someone else do it. Since your not adding any performance to the engine (Boring, 3angle valvejob, etc..) you could do all this work yourself. You would need a few special tools (engine stand, valve spring compressor, valve grinding kit) you might have to have a machine shop replace the valve guids but the rest of it is not to difficult. Just takes time. If you are looking to have someone else do it your best bet is to find a local shop you trust and get an estimate. You can probably have all the head work done for a couple of hundred. Since your not swapping anything out for higher performance parts it shouldn't be to bad. Honeing the cylinders shouldn't cost to much. Most of your cost will be labor for them to pull the engine and take it apart.

Hope that helps some.

for a complete engine re-build expect to spend somewhere around $800-$1,000 for a stock re-build if you have all the machine work done for you. and that would fix all the problems for you and it would be like a new car. you get that new car feelin!!! :LOL:

ponyrider66

If I was your machinist, I'd... :eek: :eek: :eek:

There's performance and performance. The way I see it, not fixing FoMoCo slackness/mass-production detail when you can, is wasting money in the longer term.

Pony Carbs claim they do a few tweaks to remove original flat spots. Isn't this a performance increase?

Similarly with head work - if the thing's laying open on the bench, to me it's madness not to smooth a few internal rough edges. All they're doing is throwing your fuel money out by crippling efficiency.

And Thad mentioned some rebuilders quietly throw a non-stock cam into a recon engine, to impress the owner. That's way further than I'm talking about going.

I can appreciate the intent to keep something original. But unseen details that actually help you - why pass on them?

Adam.

You engine may be worn or it could be valve seals not on properly. when I removed my head I found that 3-4 valve seals not properly seated against the valve guides.

Blue smoke is burning oil somewhere.

Slade

Back