Running Rough

Mustang_Geezer":heb5927i said:
Gene,

So hows it running now?

Gonna break it in for a couple of weeks or go back racing?

Later,

Doug
Both actually...took it for a drive today to break in the rings...will do the same tomorrow. Will do some occasional driving in the next few weeks but then back to the track on October 13th. Feels really crisp. :D

Gene, thats great news.
With the carb mods you will find that your power band will enable you to still pull good a little over 5K. Bill

Gene Fiore":1f9re9ua said:
Mustang_Geezer":1f9re9ua said:
Gene,

So hows it running now?

Gonna break it in for a couple of weeks or go back racing?

Later,

Doug
Both actually...took it for a drive today to break in the rings...will do the same tomorrow. Will do some occasional driving in the next few weeks but then back to the track on October 13th. Feels really crisp. :D

KEWL!! :mrgreen: I think I waited 3 weeks before I went to the track with mine! Hard to stay away :nod:

Later,

Doug

Well I must have done something right...I set a personal best at the race track today. I ran a 15.15 @88.60 mph....here are the results of my best two runs from today:

.1076 Reaction
2.11 60ft
9.6241 1/8 mile
71.60 1/8 mile mph
15.1822 1/4 mile
87.79 1/4 mile mph

.2191 Reaction
2.13 60ft
9.6405 1/8 mile
72.001/8 mile mph
15.1578 1/4 mile
88.60 1/4 mile mph

Made it to the semi-finals too! Problem was I could not cut a decent light to save my life...unusual for me and can't seem to figure that out. Seems like I was doing exactly the same thing I always do. Anyway pretty happy with the new times. :D I think some more tuning may be in order...I can smell a 14.99 around the corner!

Congrats Gene... Get the new carb (changes in boosters) cyphered out for jets and 14's for sure . Dont lean it out too far though. ;) ;)

you pick up 16 mph from the 1/8 to the traps.

My car is now picking up 17 mph from the 1/8 mile. I have no idea for sure what that means besides the log head holding us back.

Great job Gene.
Looks like your engine responded to the extra air & not richening up at the top end.Bill :beer: :beer:

wsa111":37nwfak1 said:
Looks like your engine responded to the extra air & not richening up at the top end.Bill :beer: :beer:
Yeah, I wonder now if I had the choke horn milled off how it would have responded? :unsure:

Gene Fiore":1n1v7j61 said:
Well I must have done something right...I set a personal best at the race track today. I ran a 15.15 @88.60 mph....here are the results of my best two runs from today:

.1076 Reaction
2.11 60ft
9.6241 1/8 mile
71.60 1/8 mile mph
15.1822 1/4 mile
87.79 1/4 mile mph

.2191 Reaction
2.13 60ft
9.6405 1/8 mile
72.001/8 mile mph
15.1578 1/4 mile
88.60 1/4 mile mph

Made it to the semi-finals too! Problem was I could not cut a decent light to save my life...unusual for me and can't seem to figure that out. Seems like I was doing exactly the same thing I always do. Anyway pretty happy with the new times. :D I think some more tuning may be in order...I can smell a 14.99 around the corner!

Congrats Gene!

Oughta place some bets wether you or Tony break into the 14's 1st!! :D :LOL:

Later,

Doug

So as happy as I am with the performance I just discovered something last night...I took the carb off to tinker and when looking into the intake I still have oil puddled at the bottom of the intake right below the carb!! I had this phenomenon before but I thought it was from my pcv valve...which I have since eliminated. What could be causing this!! :banghead:

Just do a basic Check for an MPGmustang crack. If your able to tee in an oil change, then I'd run some kero in the top of the head with the rocker removed, and the car cranked up on blocks on the left to make the rocker gasket face sit level

Remove the carb, and check for kerosene ingress into the log. Kero flows like a rat down a drain pipe, you'll pick up a hairline crack if one exists.

On the later heads, it could be through the internal part of the rocker cover to the bottom or side of the log head.

If its not that, then it'll be some thing simple. The Pcv needs the Fox body baffels over the fornt and rear filler, or oil will soak the base of the PCV. It's not just a case of finding a smaller flow pcv.

The aftermarket rocker covers don't have baffles, as the high lift cams and /or adjustable rockers hit them, so you'll have to make some that are far enough up to clear a high lift cam if you've got adjustable rockers. Or make a thick 250 thou aluminum spacer to move the rocker cover upwards.

My Mustang used 1965 adjustables when I did the small log head swap, and even at just 400 thou lift, the 1978-1983 3.3 Fox rocker cover baffels got hit in two places by the rocker adjuster nuts. Never noticed it untill today.

Pics with the two dings marked in red sqaure boxes. And they made an awfull racket...

MPGmustang":2rrte9nv said:
xctasy":2rrte9nv said:
Just do a basic Check for an MPGmustang crack.

that's not what I wanted to be remembered for... :banghead:
HAHAHA...I'm believing since I put new rings and only have 100+ miles on it that oil could be getting up in there because the rings aren't completely seated yet. Time will tell...I don't believe the head is cracked or I would probably have other issues.

Gene, new rings still would not put oil in the intake area.
One possibility is where do you have your trans vacuum modulator vacuum source located. That would be the only reason oil could be in the intake area.
You deleted the pcv system so that takes that out of the equation.
Pull your modulator vacuum hose & see if trans oil is present?? Bill

With your shortblock build and performance, an aluminum head and 4bbl might be what you need to get into the 13's.
I think your current build is quite impressive. When I can get back to working on my 250 with 3 2bbls I hope to meet your current ET'S.
Ken

Back