All Small Six Snowcat with a Six - Getting a 1968 Thiokol Spryte up to Speed!

This relates to all small sixes
@B RON CO - thanks for the plug recommendation, just bought ‘em
@Frank -
- “Handy with the carbs”?! Smaller jet? I thought it was earlier stated that the Carter YF was all good.
- Factory enclosed air cleaner, snorkel with a hot air valve? Any chance there is a modern, more accessible (quick purchase online) approach?
- Sounds like this is addressing the whole assembly. I think the existing setup is attempting to conform to the “doghouse” but I’m not married to it and am willing to fabricate a new one (this can help me address my noise issue as well as I can add more insulation)
@pmuller9 -
- New plugs are on the way, but the solution is basically a future rebuild… right? Or is there something more approachable that I should shoot for this year?
- Do the cylinder oil squirts last? Seasonal or other frequency?

Clueless Queues:
Crankshaft turn testing (Distributor rotation):
- Is the purpose just to assess the timing chain? If bad, does this mean a rebuild or is it just getting out in front of it?

As for tuning… I’m clueless here. I’ll research, but any guidance would be appreciated!
Relax about the carb jet. She ran good last winter and unless you noticed the exhaust smelled way rich, that project is not high priority. (It doesn't matter what carb it is, all carb mixtures get richer as altitude increases- quite a bit actually, aprox. 3% per 1,000' elevation.)

Air filter housing: Also not critical, but would be beneficial to intake noise reduction, carb inlet restriction and the addition of warmed air into the carb. There's no generic, the used factory housings are always expensive. Your call, again a matter of $ priority. Be aware, there are different sized airhorn flanges on different carbs, including 2 sizes of the YF carb. Measuring the carb flange is necessary before buying a replacement. The carbs used stock on a 200 have a smaller flange @ 2.25" diameter. The YF model on the 300 has a 2.62" diameter flange, so heads up on that. The compact over-the-valve-cover factory housing would work sweetly in you doghouse I imagine, if you can locate one with the correct size carb flange.
the pics are of a 300 "large" YF carb, and a factory 300 filter housing.

Attachments

• DSC06463.JPG
    DSC06463.JPG
    6.2 MB · Views: 4
  • DSC06464.JPG
    DSC06464.JPG
    6.4 MB · Views: 4
Some of the oil on the plugs is probably from bad or broken valve stem umbrella seals, and can be changed without taking the head off. At that time check out the rockers/shaft, most likely worn out and contributing to some of the noise.

Back