This relates to all small sixes

Nestorchaves

Hello Everyone.
I have a 1965 200.
3 speed 3.03 toploader
Autolite 1100 Carburator
HEI Distributor
MSD Iridum Spark plugs and Cables

and need some help. what would be the Timing set for this and also, what would be the correct calibration for the Spark plugs. also if you guys would be changing this Autolite carb for something else (1 Barrel) what would you do (i dont have budget for Holley EFI yet)

thanks in advance

Hi Nestorchaves, for the Base Timing try setting it from 12 to 16 Degrees BTDC be sure to also check your total timing as the Clone type HEI Distributors don't have the best Advance Curve out of the box, you will be looking for about 34 to 36 Degrees of Total timing. Plug Gap for an HEI with the Iridium Spark Plugs is .060. For a good 1V Carb there are the Autolite 1101's from the 1969 250 Six, the Carter RGB off the 250 Six, or the Carter YF off the later model 200 & 250 or the pickup 300 Six. To use these bigger 1V's on the 1965 200 Head the Carb Mounting hole should be opened up to at least 1 3/4 Inches or more like 2 + inches if you ever want to use a 1V to 2V Carb adapter later on. It also helps the Flow going into the Log if you put a generous radius of 3/16 or more on the bottom of the Carb Hole leading into the Log. If not going in that direction then you would need to make a Funnel shaped adapter plate so the Carbs larger Throttle Blade can clear as it opens up since these early 200 Log Heads from 1963 1/2 to 1968 only have from about a 1 1/2 to a 1 5/8 inch opening much to small for a bigger / better carb. Best of luck

Hi, as mentioned, our engines run better with more initial timing. As long as there is no knocking or pinging under load. My test is to climb a hill in second gear and see if there is spark knock. If the engine pings I retard the timing. Good luck

I hate to inform you but the HEI has way too much centrifugal advance as they come from China. They also have an over oiling condition where excessive oil comes up the shaft & puddles & may spill out where the cap fastens to the body. This can be corrected by me.
If you have a dial back timing light the maximum total advance initial & centrifugal should at the most be in the 36-38 degree area.
The total advance should come in at 2750-3000 RPM's. Without getting it recurved it could be much higher.
Wish you the best. Bill

Back