Was working on my car and cut part of my head off =(

Quick update before I go into work. Cut out the hole and drilled and tapped the intake for the mounting studs. Picked up a spacer at work to make some room for the linkage and the valve cover. This is a carb I had laying around not the one I will be using but looks like everything fits good. Definitely fills out the manifold better than I thought it would. Almost makes it look like it could be fast one day.

Again sorry for the crappy pics.

early ford fan":3l56mjtz said:
XFlow_Fairlane":3l56mjtz said:
you gotta love spar heads huh?

i wish i could weld...

I wish I had a life... and didn't just spend my days off spending money on cars... lol

My girlfriend just said that I needed to spend more time with her and not my cars....

hasa68mustang":3aly1z2f said:
early ford fan":3aly1z2f said:
XFlow_Fairlane":3aly1z2f said:
you gotta love spar heads huh?

i wish i could weld...

I wish I had a life... and didn't just spend my days off spending money on cars... lol

My girlfriend just said that I needed to spend more time with her and not my cars....

Tell her when the car's done you will go out and spend time with both of them! :unsure:

Anyone want to try to make a suggestion on a carb? I know I am going turbo later on so I want something with mechanical secondaries. Must be a holley 4bbl.... ummm I see alot of people are running 450 cfm carbs. I am slightly hesitant on this as I was having no problems running the 500 cfm carb before. I saw that will and kelly were running a 450 though on their awesome 250... All of the mechanical secondary 450 carbs say they are for multiple carb supercharger applications.... any suggestions? Bed time now. Motor mounts are coming in tomorrow!

Finally got around to doing a little more work. One of my friends came over when I was getting ready to roll the welder out and start filling all the holes and junk, and talked me out of it because he knew I would get way too into it and never finish it and it would be a few MORE months until I got the motor in. So we did some sanding, shot it with some semi gloss paint, and threw the motor in. I pulled the timing cover off and found a TON of slack, almost enough where I could make it jump teeth It ground a pretty good amount out of the timing cover. I had a spare so I threw some paint on it, and picked up a new water pump and timing chain from work. Didn't know what color to paint the accessories so I decided a little bit of of every color would be different. I like it.

I just threw the carb hat on with the filter for fun. thats it for now, its warming up so I can do work again... lol I HATE cold weather

What I was waiting to see was how much clearance was between the shock tower and intake. Plenty! Dude, how old are you? If I remember you are a fairly young guy and if so, you have great future with cars! Shoot, I had trouble changing ball joints at 17 (still do now :unsure: ) I never had the vision that you possess. Nice work, drive on!!!

Ron

Ronbo":2d3pdc2e said:
What I was waiting to see was how much clearance was between the shock tower and intake. Plenty! Dude, how old are you? If I remember you are a fairly young guy and if so, you have great future with cars! Shoot, I had trouble changing ball joints at 17 (still do now :unsure: ) I never had the vision that you possess. Nice work, drive on!!!

Ron

I just turned 21. I LOVE cars and have always wanted to have a career with them. My dad was a mechanic, all of his brothers were mechanics, his dad was a mechanic so naturally I had to like cars. Unfortunately everyone listed in the last sentence has back problems and are currently medically retired including my 30 year old brother. So while planning ahead I changed direction from wanting to be a mechanic to working in parts.

I will try to get some more done today in the few hours I have before work.

I changed out the timing chain, put on the new pump, the tranny crossmember, timinng cover and painted a few odds and ends. I still need to put on the oil pan with the turbo drain, starter and the top end valve train. I have tomorrow off so maybe I Will set a goal of trying to start it. hmmm I dont have an exhaust...

Awesome! Yup, unfortunately, back issues are a fact of life. Take care of your's and it'll take care of you ;) Looking forward to the start up. I can't remember, why did you tear the other one down? :)

Ron

Ronbo":3bp579yg said:
Awesome! Yup, unfortunately, back issues are a fact of life. Take care of your's and it'll take care of you ;) Looking forward to the start up. I can't remember, why did you tear the other one down? :)

Ron

well it started as a broken transmission. I wanted to save up some money, have a transmission built as well as a torque converter. I lost interest and a deal came around I couldn't pass up. As part of a deal I would sell a car to someone who worked at a transmission shop and they would give me money and build the tranny and do the converter. He WAS one of my good friends. He got fired from the shop and I lost my old converter and tranny. I was over it and decided I would take a motor that I had in another car and just drop it in.

hey look a mod motor in a 68 mustang :nono: shortly after I got everything in an situated this current motor came up so I took everything back out and here I am. My plan was to try to get the fuel plumbed up and maybe try to get a start out of it. HOWEVER it is my day off so there is automatically an 80% chance of rain tomorrow. Everything you see on the car has been done outside either in the dirt or on some old sheets of plywood so that is a day ruiner. the weather person said that the weekend is supposed to look great! unfortunately I am guaranteed to work weekends!

Got the valve train all tightened up and a few other odds and ends done. The project is taking another turn. I am going to trade my carb in for a GM TBI unit. Megasquirt it is! This is something I have always wanted to do but never had, the ummm, well you know to do it. I dont know if this would still be the right forum but who knows where this build is going.

things left:
bolt up starter and alternator
tighten valve cover
tighten oil pan
fuel lines
stand alone which I dont really have the money for.

TBI is bolted up, valve cover is on, need to make a junkyard run to get all the harness pieces and a couple more gm sensors. I haven't purchased any parts of the megasquirt yet but I still have awhile before I can run it anyway.

This is pretty awesome. You know, I think you were 17 when you did the turbo project? Either or, you have great people around you and a great mind. We need that in our youth these days. I'm sure you will be successfull and I'm looking forward to the beast running! Again, drive on!

Ron

Ronbo":32xluqlc said:
This is pretty awesome. You know, I think you were 17 when you did the turbo project? Either or, you have great people around you and a great mind. We need that in our youth these days. I'm sure you will be successfull and I'm looking forward to the beast running! Again, drive on!

Ron

Ya I was 17 when I did the first one.

I think I am going to try to do something similar to the build on diyautotunes nova. They first set it up to just control fuel in a gm tbi. being that they have a video and seems VERY easy thats how I will start to learn the program and go from there.

Nice project, hope it is still going well, like to hear any updates on getting the megasquirt working.

Josh

Awesome project, this is what I was thinking, but make the plenum bolt-able for different kinds of setups, sadthing thos, you're still going to need a gasket. nice job on the welding can't wait to see how i turns out. (y)

CobraSix":28nwmvqm said:
My wife complains I don't spend enough time on the car...
tell her your going on a date without her

Back