what temperature for fan thermostat???

A

Anonymous

just installed some christmas presents: electric cooling fan and adjustable thermostat (for the fan).

what temperature range do ya'll reccomend i set it at? 200 off, 180 on? (average of 190 water tmeperature)...or is too hot for a '66 mustang 6 cyl engine?

normally your on is higher adn the off is lower. I would get a 200 or higher on. if you have a 192-195 t-stat a 180 off will just stay on once it kicks on. but you can also get into placing it in a warm spot or a cool spot on the motor to change the temp range.

nick

I run a 180 thermostat. My fan is set to kick on at 195 and off at 185. Set that way, the fan never comes on while the car is moving. At idle it will run for some time before the fan comes on, and will eventually go off.

IIRC, GM cars were on at 226° and off at 180° (from running a snap scanner in diagnostic mode a few years back)

ron

MustangSix":2k1k3c7f said:
I run a 180 thermostat. My fan is set to kick on at 195 and off at 185. Set that way, the fan never comes on while the car is moving. At idle it will run for some time before the fan comes on, and will eventually go off.
thanks..........i will adjust it to your specs......didn't realize how little a fan is needed until i drove it around today! of course, next august will be different.............. :roll:

Back