Ok, got my oil seal, now how to install?

A

Anonymous

Ok, thanks for everyone's help on the oil seal/timing chain issue. I finally got my timing chain and gears from Oz today, and now I'm going to attempt to put the whole thing back together.

For those who weren't in on this, I have an Oz 250 engine that had a really sloppy timing chain in it.

In any case, I have a timing cover seal from a U.S. 200 engine, and I'm not 100% sure how to install it. Part of my problem is that I swear the old seal I picked out of there came forward further than this seal does. I'm not too worried about that, unless someone thinks otherwise. Here's a picutre:

DSC01554.JPG

Am I right by thinking the spring o-ring (whatever it is) goes toward the rear of the timing cover, and I just push it in place? What's confusing me are the Pro Lock II and that smaller metal ring that they put in there. Also, will the fact that the o-ring doesn't come through the smaller opening, as did the old one, cause a problem?

If someone can help me with some instructions on how to install this thing, I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks, in advance.

Makoto

If you were to hold the seal in your hand and look at it from the side. You will notice the lip of the seal is pointing in one direction.
Now the whole consept is to keep the oil in the engine. So, the lip would have to point towards the engine.
Use a socket with the same OD as the seal and press the seal in place. Make sure the fit is clean.
Once in, check that the spring assembly on the inside of the seal lip is still in place.
I hope this helped..ZZ

Ok.. then, after I shove it in there, I should be able to see the spring assembly, then. That leaves one way for it to go in. What about the Pro Lock II and the metal ring that came with this? Do I have to use them for anything?

Is the small ring a speedy sleeve type thing? That would be the most plausible explanation I can imagine. As to the oil seal, yes the little inner fine loop of "spring" holding the seal tight is on the motor side, not the outside. I use a little Permatex when these are pressed in, and lube the lip of the seal well with oil when installing. Assembly lube might work, too. Crank it without starting a couple of seconds to spread the oil film around the seal and avoid undoing all your good work.

Adam.

addo":sq40jx7f said:
Is the small ring a speedy sleeve type thing? That would be the most plausible explanation I can imagine.

Errr.. if I only knew what that was, I could say for sure. It's about 1/2 inch deep and is slightly inwardly flanged on one side. I can take more pictures of it if that will help.

As for the oil seal.. I'll give it a go and see what happens..

Thanks, all.

Also, as a newbie, I'd just like to make sure I understand the terminology... is the "lip" of the seal the outer surface (the circumferance) that makes contact with the timing cover? (would that make the flat portion that makes contact the "face" of the seal?)

Thanks, again.

Mako

OD: the metal retainer that confines the seal into a circle.

ID: the elastomer rubber that seals againest the shaft.

Lip: the beveled rubber that forms a wedge, pointing in one direction.

Purpose: with the lip pointed toward the engine. Oil will be deflected, thus keeping the oil in the engine.

Tips: Clean your fit of debris.
Add a very small amount of lubricant to the fit, to allow easy installa-
tion.
Add a small amount of lubricant to the lip of the seal to avoid a DRY
run on the shaft.

YOU GOT IT TOYOTA>>>ARARAR...ZZ

I think the "ring" is likely a damper/crank pulley repair sleeve. If your damper/crank pulley had a groove worn it it from where the oil front seal rode against it, you are supposed to degrease it, put some of the pro-lock on it, and carefully tap the repair sleeve over the grooved surface. You end up with a new surface for the oil seal to ride against when the damper is installed. If your damper/pulley isn't grooved, then you don't need to install this. The combination of a new oil seal and a good sealing surface gives you good oil control.

Thanks Addo
I installed one the way you suggested this weekend (same way as the old one)except that I used a small amount of sealant to hold it in and didnt lube the seal. Ill have to try and get some oil or grease on it with the balancer in place.

Back