Finally

fiddyfofoad

My 54 Ford is finally roadworthy, got all the carb and timing issues ironed out, the oil pressure is good and everything works. Now, over the winter I can start on the shiny stuff. Thanks for all your help, without it the car would probably not be running. Joe

Fiddy4, from your previous thread "1 bbl holley", Bubba kept mentioning the SCV (Spark control valve) and it got me wondering. I wound up canniballizing an old Holley with the SCV in the valve body and installed it on my '55 Courier 223 with Holley 1904 which did NOT originally have the SCV.
Now looking back at the original '55 and '56 Ford shop manuals, these 1 bbl carbs did NOT have the SCV then. It wasn't until later years that the Holley model 1908 carb DID have the SCV.
Now I am told that the Load-o-matic system for the 215 & 223 engines of the '50's utilized a carb that operated with a combination of ported and venturi vacuum via the tubing from the carb to the distributor vacuum advance and the distributor vac ball check valve located inside the carb main body. I believe you also mentioned this in your previous post.
The ball check valve can be viewed by removing the valve body from the main body and turning the main body upside down. You will notice a little bore with a spring retainer and a small ball under it. That same bore does mate with a hole in the gasket between valve body and main body. The bore runs down thru the valve body at an angle and dumps out in the intake bore of the valve body. Thus, the carb to intake manifold gasket does not have a hole for this, since the opening is above.
I have not attmpted to run my engine since reworking my carb, and now I am going to change it back to the way it was (without the SCV).
What are the things you finally discovered that got you going good again?

Back