Mystery Noise.

jimsnjos

When driving my 55 F-100 with the 223 six cylinder engine, the engine develops a high pitch rattle or clatter just before I back off the throttle and shift gears. This noise does not occur under load, acceleration, or compression or when I let off in gear. I have checked and re-set the valves according to specifications. For fear of damaging the engine I have stopped driving the vehicle.
If any of you have a suggestion or have had experience with such a condition I would really appreciate any feed back from you.
Thanks in advance.

Thanks for your interest however right now I do not have the capability to record a video or the sound of it. Great thought however and I'll see if there is not a way to do so.

Hi, can you see if it makes the noise in neutral?
Maybe it is a simple as a bad motor mount.
Check to see nothing is flopping around. Yank and wiggle everything from the grill back to the firewall.
Good luck

Thanks fellas, both good thoughts and suggestions. The mystery sound appears to be coming from the top end, like the valve train. Thinking perhaps that it could be a weak valve spring? I have tried to duplicate the sound with the engine out of gear and bringing the rpm's up to speed but that does not duplicate the sound. It only occurs when I reach that sweet spot when you pause to shift gears. My plan today is to get a tachometer on the engine, drive it and see what rpm the sound begins to develop. Thanks again for you time and suggestion.

Back