1983 3.3 Ugrade questions

Howdy Turbo:

You're off and running and I'm late getting here but here's my two cents on your '83. There are basically four things that hold back performance on '83 vintage fords with a six. Number one is the high ratio rear end gear. Number two is the stock cam with extreme advance ground in to it at the factory. It was designed to offer highest torque off idle to compensate for the high rear end gear ratio. Neither is a quick or easy fix. Three is an extremely compromised carb, the Holley #1946. It was crutched to get these engine through the EPA regs of the time. It is a complex carb with vacuum, thermal and electrical feedback switches built in. Also some presets and a sealed low speed air screw. Some here on this forum have gotten good use out of them. Not me. And, finally the exhaust. compliments to extasy for his progress with the coffee can, smog exhaust, but following the advice to scrap it for a '68 vintage exhaust manifold and a 2" system is advice I can agree with. The '66 you have will work, but do some grinding to open it out to a full 2" above the firewall step.

As someone has said think Fox mustang for parts. the rear end may be the best place to pick up seat-of-the-pant performance. Upgrading from a 2.79 ration to a 3:1 or 3.27:1 will be noticeable.

As for carbs, consider a Carter RBS or YF from a 250 engine. That will up the cfm from 185 to 215. again, noticeable.

Finally, stock CR is down around 8:1. A good valve job with a back cut on the intake valves and a mill to get to 9:1 will rock your boat. Power and mileage will go up.

Best wishes and keep your progress coming.

Adios, David

Once again thanks for the info. The basic outcome I am looking for is just a bit more proformance. More of a free flow exhaust system and no emissions on the engine. I will be changing the rear out for an 8.8 with nice crusing gears, and Mustang 5.0 rear sway bar. I just want the car to handle better and have a bit more pep in its step. Down the road ill be updating the carb but money is tight now. I had to replace the exhaust from the mid cat back, so I just want a more free flowing system from the header back and now I see I have several options. Please keep the 2 cents coming
:thanks:

Back